ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 09-24-11, 03:26 PM

dprice218 is on a distinguished road
Adderall compared to amphetamine isomers w/respect to DA release

Interesting scholarly research I found on the comparative effects on DA release of Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts) and dextroamphetamine (as well as the other amphetamine isomers alone). One of the interesting conclusions, although certainly not the only piece of interesting information concerning the pharmacological differences in these formulations, lends support to the clinical perception that mixed amphetamine salts (compared to Dexedrine, for instance) is associated with both prolonged DA release (in the brain region called the striatum), quick onset of action, and prolonged effect on DA release....well, at least in rats.

The relevant abstract is quoted below:

Results

Local applications of AdderallŽ resulted in significantly greater DA release signal amplitudes with prolonged time course of dopamine release and re-uptake as compared to d-amphetamine and d,l-amphetamine.

Conclusions

These data support the hypothesis that the combination of amphetamine enantiomers and salts in AdderallŽ has effects on DA release, which result in increased and prolonged DA release, compared to d- and d,l-amphetamine.

I highly suggest reading this article if you're at all interested in the subtle (or not so subtle) differences in pharmacological effects associated with different isomers of amphetamine. This article can be downloaded freely at the following: http://www.springerlink.com/content/w7v2725765v5r844/
The Following User Says Thank You to dprice218 For This Useful Post:
TygerSan (09-24-11)
Old 09-24-11, 03:40 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,317 Times in 5,400 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall compared to amphetamine isomers w/respect to DA release

Thanks for this paper.

I have to wonder why they used Fisher rats, though. They're just a really weird strain (often used as a model of depression). I'd like to see this done in other rat strains too.
Old 12-30-11, 10:49 PM

littlepig is on a distinguished road

Is generic Adderal pharmacologically similar to Adderal ?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-11, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Not in my experience. Even the XR generic has a vastly different effect on me. Interestingly enough, many of the amphetamine-based stimulants lack the l-amphetamine, not only because it's the more expensive ingredient, but also because it's supposed to be a "gentler" formulation. Perhaps that's so in many cases, but in mine, every single amphetamine formula missing the l-amphetamine kicks in hard, gives me panic attacks, and then drops me just as hard when it wears off.

Maybe I'm part Fisher rat. . .
Old 12-31-11, 07:27 PM

foggedup has a spectacular aura aboutfoggedup has a spectacular aura about

My doc knows from his patients experience that generics can be very different. My therapist was told by a drug rep that generic manufactures are allowed by the FDA to have up to a 20% variance in the key ingredient compared to the Brand. The only exception to this allowance is heart meds.

What I don't know is if this variance is to the molecular structure, or in the active ingredient.

If a r-amp molecule had an extra H stuck to it, for example, would it be "close enough?" (I'm no chemist, so think of any extra innocent atom) I lean towards this theory because taking 2 5mg Barr generic dextroamphetamine tabs is completely different than taking 1 10mg Barr generic dextroamphetamine tab. I've broken up the 10mg to test if it was just quantity by trying 5, 7.5, 12.5, and 15. I could not get the 10mg to have the effectiveness of 2 5's. I think it had more to do with the added buffers and colors.

Call me cynical, I also think generic manufacturers will deliberately skimp on the costly ingredients to fit in that 20%.
Old 01-04-12, 02:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,517 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Legally, they're required to include the same amount of the active ingredient, and you can check in The Orange Book to verify. However, the inactive ingredients can change the way the active one is absorbed, and for some people that difference is more apparent than it is for others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
foggedup (01-06-12)