ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 11-17-04, 04:04 PM

reusablepheonix is on a distinguished road
Adult with ADD -wow i just had my first focused boring small talk conversation

So I started ADD meds a few weeks ago for the first time in my life ( I am 32).
a few minutes ago the mail man rung the door bell so I could sign some certified mail ( for overdue bills go figure).
And then had a 15 minute engaged conversation about the economy and local farmers . The first time in my life I didnt lose focus, zone out,forget , daydream, maintained eye contact efortlessly with out any social anxiety.
wow it was a real face to face intelligent boring conversation with another human being!
I cant beleive it.
space cadet, absentminded, slob,messy hair, unshaven, wrinkled clothes, quiet, memory deficent ,unemotional, book worm, disorganized, slow, clumsy, chronically tired, brain on overdrive, slurred speech,internet addict, phone phobic, social phobic,ex-fundy, exchristian, atheist, scientist,poor vocabulary,introverted,day dreamer,musician, bad credit,yet still peaceful & happy with a positive attitude
Old 11-17-04, 04:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

T1Thoughts is on a distinguished road
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Congrats?
Old 11-17-04, 04:49 PM

yes! congrats too me..this is a huge big deal.
when the doorbell rang I ran over in a panic to answer the door, without thinking about it. And talked to the mailman without any anxiety, didnt realize it until after it was all done.

Usually when the door bell rings,I stress out,paranoid, peek out the window and wait for the person to leave, then I make sure all the curtains are closed in the house, cuz I get this wierd feeling people are watching me.

Not that I am a unhappy unfriendly guy, its just this automatic wierd reaction that is totally irrational.
anyway I am in total shock.
space cadet, absentminded, slob,messy hair, unshaven, wrinkled clothes, quiet, memory deficent ,unemotional, book worm, disorganized, slow, clumsy, chronically tired, brain on overdrive, slurred speech,internet addict, phone phobic, social phobic,ex-fundy, exchristian, atheist, scientist,poor vocabulary,introverted,day dreamer,musician, bad credit,yet still peaceful & happy with a positive attitude
The Following User Says Thank You to reusablepheonix For This Useful Post:
poppetx (10-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 05:33 PM

fuzzybaffy is on a distinguished road
What med are you taking?
Old 11-17-04, 05:58 PM

settera ( spelling?) i dont know the dosage, Im in the 4th week of a double blind study for its effects. the dosage must be increasing because it hurts and burns when i pee, and other strange effects related to my prostate Im sure.
Old 11-17-04, 06:24 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Do you mean Strattera?
Old 11-17-04, 06:31 PM

yes strattera, sorry, i was trying to rememeber how it was spelled without having to look it up, thanks
Old 10-29-09, 04:21 PM

cappie is on a distinguished road
Re: Adult with ADD -wow i just had my first focused boring small talk conversation

its a great feeling isnt? I am also 32 started taking add meds a year ago. Unfortuantly i only have a couple of those good days. Still trying to find the best med for me. What did you say you are on? I am on addreall.
Old 10-31-09, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Rudegar has a spectacular aura aboutRudegar has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adult with ADD -wow i just had my first focused boring small talk conversation

I had a similar experience. It felt absolutely amazing to be what I thought it must feel to be normal. I tried to imagine a world in which I felt like that all the time.

"At least I got to see some cool colors."
Old 11-07-09, 08:06 PM

RachelAddi is on a distinguished road

I too have social anxiety either tend to 'over think' / say the wrong thing / stutter / or just plain avoid talking to people. I was diagnosed a couple of months ago (I'm 33) and I'm due to start taking concerta in the next couple of weeks.

I've been really excited thinking it will be a miracle cure. Am I wrong to pin all my hopes on it? I think I've come so far going through this sh*t that I can't bare the thought of being stuck in the ADD abyss any more! I just want to be like everyone else - NORMAL.

I so envy people who know how to hold a conversation without butting in, putting their foot in it, or causing an awkward silence....
The Following User Says Thank You to RachelAddi For This Useful Post:
carped1em (03-07-10)
Old 11-24-09, 11:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

rollingstone88 will become famous soon enough

I'm jealous. I'm still looking forward to my first incredibly engaging boring conversation about how darn cold it is outside. Congratulations, I hope it is the first of many. Think it's gonna be a good peanut harvest this year? I'm holding out for one. You know that last few years they haven't done so well and...Hey, kitty.

Well, I wake up in the morning, fold my hands and pray for rain. I got a head full of ideas that are drivin' me insane. - Bob Dylan "Maggie's Farm"

The hungry and the hunted explode into Rock 'n' Roll bands. - Bruce Springsteen "Jungleland"

Well, we busted out of class, had to get away from those fools. We learned more from a 3-minute record, baby than we ever learned in school. - Bruce Springsteen "No Surrender"

The Following User Says Thank You to rollingstone88 For This Useful Post:
cosinezero (03-23-10)
Old 11-25-09, 04:40 AM

Legault is on a distinguished road

Hrm, thought only I had this problem. I can do what you did when I'm drunk, but not sober, which is messed up/interesting. I have a way of getting dexedrine and take 10 mg/day and have been for a couple days, although I'd rather that the doctor just give it to me
Old 03-06-10, 11:23 PM

illmakeitsomeda is on a distinguished road

congratulations!

this definetely is a big step