ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 12-02-17, 02:17 PM

nadineamaris is on a distinguished road
ADHD or just procrastination?

I'm 18 years old and I haven't noticed how how much I procrastinate until I got to college and had immense amounts of free time. Not having an organized schedule, meaning a 8:30 to 3:30 school day has made it really difficult for me to do work on my own. There are weekends where I sat in my room and did 800 things at once (ran around my room, then checked Facebook, Instagram, then danced to music, then read an article) just to avoid writing an essay I could've written within 3 hours. I can't tell if this is my own personal fault (if I just generally avoid my responsibilities) or indicative of a larger problem.

I know it's impossible to self diagnose, but I'm really scared to go to my doctor about this because I don't want my parents to find out (I don't think they'd take this seriously). I'd rather talk to people who've experienced similar things first. These are my symptoms:

1. I cannot sit still for long amounts of time. This is weird, but ever since I was a kid, I'd run around my room listening to loud music for 2-4 hours a day. I can't listen to quiet or calming music either; it needs to be loud and energetic. If I'm watching a movie or show, I often pause it to run around my room and then turn it back on.
2. I avoid any work that requires sustained brain work. I will think about doing it, and try to do it, but get so extremely distracted. For example, I'll write 2 lines of an essay and then switch rapidly through all my social media accounts (even though I'm not even active on social media, it's just a good distraction).
3. I zone out a lot. I cannot pay attention in any of my lectures when the professor is just speaking; my mind always goes elsewhere. I zone out when my friends talk to me for long periods of time, like when they're telling me a story.
4. I find it hard to sit still. I'm always biting my nails, or tapping my foot, or drawing on my paper.
5. I make careless mistakes. I got a test back in Arabic a few days ago; I conjugated everything wrong even though I studied and I'm well aware of how to conjugate it.

However, I've always done relatively well in school. This is in part because my high school wasn't that difficult in terms of workload. Even though I've done well, it's always taken me much longer than any of my peers to complete my work. A few days ago, my roommate was writing an essay; she wrote three pages within an hour. I was so surprised as I've never been once able to do that; that would've taken me like four hours.

Does this sound normal to you? I really don't want to talk my doctor about it; I only will if I think I can't fix it myself. Thank you!
Old 12-03-17, 07:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD or just procrastination?

How long has this been going on and what are your other symptoms?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 12-03-17, 09:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between procrastination and ADHD is that procrastination is a choice. If you simply choose not to bother, then it's not ADHD. But if you're genuinely struggling to get started and it's causing you a lot of anxiety, worry and stress, then there's a possibility that it could be ADHD or a wide range of other things.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Lisa_Mac (12-04-17), Little Missy (12-03-17), stef (12-03-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 07:48 AM
Contributor

Lisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of light

Difficult to say. You're going to have to consult a professional. On the one hand I would say it's impossible to do well at school (A's and B's) without medication if you have adhd, but it also depends on how much distraction you have at home and how much support you get from your parents.

Some kids are just undisciplined because they weren't brought up with any structure in their home life. That could be for a lot of reasons, one being having parent/s with adhd.

If you try harder and really want to achieve at college but JUST CAN'T you need to speak to your parents or go and see a therapist, and take it from there. If you actually feel paralysed in your inability to do what you want/need to do, get help. Good luck.
Old 12-04-17, 06:28 PM

Bella_Lee is on a distinguished road

Hi, although some of the behavior you have described is similar to ADHD symptoms, I think it's important you discuss what you are going through with your parents. The support they can offer could help you decide if this is something that you can cope with or deal with. Sometimes it's best to seek professional help early than leave it till a later time.
All the best.