ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-17, 09:19 AM

Cabby44 is on a distinguished road
Hyperactivity and restlessness

Don't see alot of posts about this aspect. I'm 44 and newly diagnosed and I would say I'm very restless most of the time. Looking back at my youth I was always hyperactive and taking alot of unnecessary risks. Now I'm more settled but I still fidget alot and pace if I can. I feel most comfortable driving taking in the road it seems to bring all my symptoms into order. Is anyone else still restless all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cabby44 For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (12-13-17)
Old 12-03-17, 10:53 PM

CasioCurious is on a distinguished road
Re: Hyperactivity and restlessness

When I used I used to hyperactive and was full anxiety. But now I'm not restless in the body, but the mind is. My mind never shuts off a sec.
Old 12-04-17, 06:22 PM

heythere999 will become famous soon enough

I'm restless in the sense that my mind never shuts up and I always have a million things to think about.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-17, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

I am incredibly bouncy/hyper off my medication, but the adderall helps level me out. I always have to be engaged in something, whether it's work, conversation, etc., otherwise I can be way too high-strung for the likes of most people.

I don't know, I just work here.
Old 12-13-17, 01:14 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,349 Times in 6,095 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I have alwsys been hyperactive. Sitting still can be almost painful. I fidget constantly. Medicated my movement is more directed but even on medication I move constantly

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 12-13-17, 07:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I fidget too and have dyskinesia so there is no going to the movies anymore or dealing with long presentations where I have to sit still. I had to take my son for a college open house last month that turned into a 5 hour thing with lots of presentations from the PolySci dept and I thought I would die.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 12-14-17, 10:04 AM

MilosM is on a distinguished road

Yeah I fidget all the time. And just like you I feel the best while I'm driving.
Old Today, 06:43 AM

NightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the rough

I get very fidgety and restless, especially when I'm bored or doing an activity I'm not interested in.

The best ways I've found to try and combat these feelings are:

- Exercising daily. Making it a part of my daily routine to do something, even if it's just taking 20 min to jog around inside the underground parking garage, or some push-ups and burpees at home. Something to burn off a bit of that excess energy will help me focus for the rest of the day.

- Taking breaks. If I have to do something I don't want to for a long period of time, like paperwork or housework, I'll try and break it up in to chunks. It's not always feasible to do so (hard to just wander away from work sometimes), but it can make things a lot more bearable.

- Having something to focus my energy on. People can laugh at fidget cubes and spinners as Millennial toys, but I know having my cube to fiddle around with can make me less likely to get antsy when I'm bored.
I also keep one of these in the car for when I'm stuck in traffic:

It gives me an outlet for my energy and (sometimes) road rage so that I don't go coocoo during my commute. Stopping to take breaks on long car trips is a must as well.