ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 10-27-17, 04:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,993 Times in 2,481 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nothing works out for me

Quote:
Well I run a successful entrepreneurship in console gaming and earn pretty decent for myself...... so theoretically that should still sort it out for me
Saying this is creepy....because it looks like relationship to you is a transactional act. A well grounded woman is looking beyond income. From what you say I think your friend picked up on this.... when she said no, she would have checked out your response.... so if you indicated you felt negatively about being "friendzoned" you'd have lost her respect.

I'd advise dropping the idea of having a "relationship" and concentrate on having lots of female FRIENDS.... being relaxed in the company of relaxed women friends communicates safety to other women. Over time you'll forget you want a relationship and that's when you'll realise that you could have a relationship if you wanted one..... but the right person isn't around and you don't much care.... or the right person has been under your nose for a while quietly waiting for you to drop your ****.

As OyVeyKitty says..... if there is a pattern it's likely to be you that needs to change and your therapist should be able to help you. Your therapist should also point out that it's unlikely that you're going to get your underlying needs met through a single relationship.... it's likely a relationship formed through your (and her) neediness will meet either of your needs without becoming toxically co-dependant.

In my view it is difficult to get a handle on the issue in talk therapy alone.... a mixed gender "process" group might be the way to go as this should give you the relational feedback you need. Your therapist might be able to give you some advice on this.

Last edited by Fortune; 10-29-17 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: bypassing the word filter
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (10-27-17)
Old 10-31-17, 04:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
I'll tell you how to do it if you have ADHD social quirks. Money and career is the short-cut; if you're going well there, results are highly likely.

If you're doing well with money and/or achievements, I would find it to be very unusual if you're not doing well with women. Men in particular can essentially base all of their market value (dating is like a market) on what they do. If what you do has merit, that is a short-cut for getting past ADHD or autistic quirks. Women see a guy with an advancing career or good degree and will look past the rest, so long as you don't have a terrible personality (I don't see that here, just some natural frustration.)
This is a blanket generalization of women. It comes across as sexist even if you did not mean it that way. I dont know what led you to this belief about women but its certainly not a truth that can be stated as fact.

Quote:
If you have that part of the equation down, again, I'd be very surprised if you can't get any positive female attention.
Positive female attention can be friends, it doesnt have to be romantic right?

Quote:
Certainly the inverse is never true. Of all the autistic men (and usually, the same with ADHD men) I've conversed on the internet with, no fewer than 99% of them had strong educational credentials or at least a good job. Invariably, 99% of those without college education and/or without a job, were essentially completely skipped over and very bitter about their luck with women. It's a shame but this is a life where you get back what you contribute in a competitive society, and that's how it works for men with dating.
I have found that men who say things like this are indeed bitter, but they do not know women the way they think they do. They tend to overlook personal issues they have and opinions they hold and blame women and society for their circumstance. Its easy to turn outward and blame a nameless, faceless, unchecked thing like "society" or wealth and success but it truly is about who you are and what you give to others of yourself. My husband was an average college student with no full time job and not alot of money when he asked me to marry him. I said yes because the emotional support and love he gave me was amazing. I never thought about what kind of job he would get with his geology degree. We got married when I was 20 and both of us were still in school. We had a child right away and he started working in the environmental field. His first job paid him 28,500$ a year and even back then it wasnt a good salary.

After 4 years of work he hated he became an apprentice in the union for a journeyman/electrician certificate. That brought his pay scale down to $12.10 and hour. He apprenticed for 4 years in teledata and 3 for journeyman. Just when he became a certified, bonified journeyman, the economy took a dump(2008) and he was out of work so much we almost lost everything. This was right after we bought the house.

We have always lived paycheck to paycheck and yet all I ever wanted was to be his partner. If we faced the trouble together then all would be ok.
Did I think of any of this when we dated? No. Did I care that he was going to be a fancy-schmancy geologist? No. We loved each other.
Not all women, in fact I would say most women are not how you paint them.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-31-17), OyVeyKitty (10-31-17), WhiteOwl (10-31-17)
Old 10-31-17, 10:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,051 Times in 466 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
This is a blanket generalization of women. It comes across as sexist even if you did not mean it that way. I dont know what led you to this belief about women but its certainly not a truth that can be stated as fact.

Positive female attention can be friends, it doesnt have to be romantic right?

I have found that men who say things like this are indeed bitter, but they do not know women the way they think they do. They tend to overlook personal issues they have and opinions they hold and blame women and society for their circumstance. Its easy to turn outward and blame a nameless, faceless, unchecked thing like "society" or wealth and success but it truly is about who you are and what you give to others of yourself. My husband was an average college student with no full time job and not alot of money when he asked me to marry him. I said yes because the emotional support and love he gave me was amazing. I never thought about what kind of job he would get with his geology degree. We got married when I was 20 and both of us were still in school. We had a child right away and he started working in the environmental field. His first job paid him 28,500$ a year and even back then it wasnt a good salary.

After 4 years of work he hated he became an apprentice in the union for a journeyman/electrician certificate. That brought his pay scale down to $12.10 and hour. He apprenticed for 4 years in teledata and 3 for journeyman. Just when he became a certified, bonified journeyman, the economy took a dump(2008) and he was out of work so much we almost lost everything. This was right after we bought the house.

We have always lived paycheck to paycheck and yet all I ever wanted was to be his partner. If we faced the trouble together then all would be ok.
Did I think of any of this when we dated? No. Did I care that he was going to be a fancy-schmancy geologist? No. We loved each other.
Not all women, in fact I would say most women are not how you paint them.
Agreed. I married a work-a-holic and I always told him I didn't care if we lived in a cardboard box, I just wanted a little of his time. He never got it. Money has always been at the very bottom of my list, I wanted a partner in life that enjoyed being with me, not someone who only cared about making money.

I'm so glad you found that and I love hearing stories like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-31-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-17, 11:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I'll admit, it may be an unfair blanket generalization. And probably it does reflect the burgeoning bitterness I have about all this, at the same time as reflecting the exasperation of autistic men in general. Visit an autistic message board, and click on a "relationships" thread, if you want to see how such men are faring.

It's always the same. I welcome anyone to prove me differently, provide a single anecdote of a socially or functionally disabled man you know of who's popular with women, either from your real life or online discussion.

But this is all I've ever found online: Invariably the same men who are in relationships or get flings, give the answer "there's someone for everyone", etc, are the same ones who are highly functioning and have college degrees and solid careers. The ones who are indefinite failures with women, are the ones who lack stability in life or lack achievements or cannot pull their weight. A poor attitude is the result, not the cause, in many cases. Granted, a poor attitude never helps, but I believe it usually develops from general incapacity, from being strangled by a disorder that strips social, emotional, as well as several other competencies. Some guys are left with just weaknesses, with none of the gifts that these "high functioning Asperger's" take for granted.

I gave a common sense answer. If a man does not have social finesse--does not communicate well--well then what else can he offer? He needs something to offer. A good career or good money or valuable skills will offset a social difficulty. This is even more the case online, but then again I believe ALL socially awkward men should never use online dating because the competition is absolutely disgusting, full of bragging NTs of both genders. (A side-track, but it does appear to me that many NTs essentially treat everything in life as a marketing opportunity, and will embellish to extreme levels to "get ahead of the competition.")

And even then, none of this addresses the plight of the ultimate autistic loser, which hits home for me (not OP, though) the ones who in their 30s and beyond who cannot effectively contribute at all. Who would be interested in such an impotent creature? Let's get real, while we're at it. Forget the pleasant lies.
Old 11-01-17, 01:19 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Well I offered an anecdote of my own about my husband. What about when Tom Green and Drew Barrymore were married?

I carried a watermelon?

Old 11-02-17, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Well I offered an anecdote of my own about my husband. What about when Tom Green and Drew Barrymore were married?
I'm not sure if your example is meant to be humorous or not, but that's not really what I mean. Life is too different for folks in the public sphere, to be able to make useful comparisons on this topic.

If I had to break down what I'm asking into the simplest way possible, I'll try explain it this way. Have you ever known an autistic guy or otherwise a guy who ticked many of the boxes for it? (I think it is fair to assume that some folks are autistic simply based on their social mannerisms among other things; I've known a lot of guy I think were probably mildly autistic.) If yes (or even if not yes) let us assume that this guy is not well-paid and/or not college educated.

Such a guy--of which there are many, according to studies--would probably exemplify the terms I've used, like "socially disabled" or "functionally disabled." This hypothetical man I'm talking about does not usually communicate well, he is awkward and tense because of constant anxiety, he does not look confident nor act confident. In addition, he does not function well enough to have a career.

Have you known any guy like this who has had relationships or flings? Can you imagine that even being possible?

You want to know why I'm always saying there is no hope, why I'm always bitter about it, now you have your answer. I don't think there is another way to explain it.
Old 11-02-17, 03:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Yes, I'll admit, it may be an unfair blanket generalization. And probably it does reflect the burgeoning bitterness I have about all this, at the same time as reflecting the exasperation of autistic men in general. Visit an autistic message board, and click on a "relationships" thread, if you want to see how such men are faring.

It's always the same. I welcome anyone to prove me differently, provide a single anecdote of a socially or functionally disabled man you know of who's popular with women, either from your real life or online discussion.

But this is all I've ever found online: Invariably the same men who are in relationships or get flings, give the answer "there's someone for everyone", etc, are the same ones who are highly functioning and have college degrees and solid careers. The ones who are indefinite failures with women, are the ones who lack stability in life or lack achievements or cannot pull their weight. A poor attitude is the result, not the cause, in many cases. Granted, a poor attitude never helps, but I believe it usually develops from general incapacity, from being strangled by a disorder that strips social, emotional, as well as several other competencies. Some guys are left with just weaknesses, with none of the gifts that these "high functioning Asperger's" take for granted.

I gave a common sense answer. If a man does not have social finesse--does not communicate well--well then what else can he offer? He needs something to offer. A good career or good money or valuable skills will offset a social difficulty. This is even more the case online, but then again I believe ALL socially awkward men should never use online dating because the competition is absolutely disgusting, full of bragging NTs of both genders. (A side-track, but it does appear to me that many NTs essentially treat everything in life as a marketing opportunity, and will embellish to extreme levels to "get ahead of the competition.")

And even then, none of this addresses the plight of the ultimate autistic loser, which hits home for me (not OP, though) the ones who in their 30s and beyond who cannot effectively contribute at all. Who would be interested in such an impotent creature? Let's get real, while we're at it. Forget the pleasant lies.
Lets assume you are 100% right. Now what?

I carried a watermelon?

Old 11-02-17, 08:25 AM

Thanked 19,704 Times in 10,506 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to Mad Max?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 11-19-17, 04:36 PM

madmax988 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
What happened to Mad Max?
Had been away for a bit, thanks for the concern. This has turned out to be quite a long thread,lol. Well Im no expert on all the statistics provided on the previous posts but having said that I've slowly come to realize my approach towards dating and related to be falling off path somewhere. Catching hold of this "somewhere" now, I can safely point out some fundamentals/rules which cannot be bargained with so as to say.
1) As a man, you are NOT to pursue. But BE pursued. This may trigger some but the law of nature prevails when it comes to this "game".The alpha male theory doesn't lie.
2) If your 'friendship' starts getting toxic somewhere and there's not much you can do about it(in 90% cases there really isn't much you can do IME) just nip it right in the bud. That may mean cutting off friendship altogether but that's that,end of story. Inspite of investing time, space, moments you have to draw a line for the sake of your sanity. If anyone else reading this is struggling in a similar way, this is the most important advice I can ever give you. I don't want you to struggle like I did for years,trust me.
*Id like to mention here, healthy friendships with the opposite sex surely exist, as mentioned by OyVeyKitty in her previous posts. I do have a bestie IRL, she has a BF but that has never,ever interfered in our friendship. Ive been lucky there,such friendships are unfortunately rare to come by. Quashes the friendzone theory in its right, as long as this equation isn't disturbed in any way.
3) For some all this game is tough.really,really tough. Its all about chances and factors that are not always in your control. In my experience its mostly the guys who struggle with this, ADHD or not(the women have a natural advantage since they dont need to bother pursuing as much)
4) All dating apps are to be placed RIGHT in the dustbin where they belong. Waste of time,seriously. Possibly the worst damage you can inflict to your self image if you struggle with a co-morbid condition. You can prove me wrong on this and I'll find you a flying pig in return
there's lots more I want to add but I gotta give my ADD brain a break for now before it starts overheating!
The Following User Says Thank You to madmax988 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-19-17)
Old 11-29-17, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post

I'd advise dropping the idea of having a "relationship" and concentrate on having lots of female FRIENDS....
well I do. Not lots but a few yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post
As OyVeyKitty says..... if there is a pattern it's likely to be you that needs to change and your therapist should be able to help you. Your therapist should also point out that it's unlikely that you're going to get your underlying needs met through a single relationship.... it's likely a relationship formed through your (and her) neediness will meet either of your needs without becoming toxically co-dependant.

In my view it is difficult to get a handle on the issue in talk therapy alone.... a mixed gender "process" group might be the way to go as this should give you the relational feedback you need. Your therapist might be able to give you some advice on this.
I had a word with my therapist recently and she's of the opinion that I shouldn't be worrying about it at all expect work...partly agree but like I said, I've the career part sorted now so I can surely look beyond just that...having been in a mess on that front as well for years, finally found justice! I'm doing something I love and thankful for the opportunity. Also work takes up 90% of my daily routine and really leaves me with no time. So there's this bit of a catch 22 situation but not complaining really. Guess its good to be busy.

I've bigger demons to take care of for now like volatile temper and drinking. Even small things set me off and have put me in trouble(bit like in the movie falling down) sometimes even surprise myself with how out of hand and violent i tend to get. Its much easier to cut down on drinking but the former is getting out of hand
Old 11-29-17, 05:31 AM

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to get in with the ladies, then never ever pretend to be something that you're not. Embrace who you are. Show people that you're proud, confident and comfortable with who you are. If someone tries to talk you down, always stand firm and defend who you are.

Do this and they'll go crazy for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-29-17), Little Missy (11-29-17), peripatetic (12-09-17)
Old 11-30-17, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
If you want to get in with the ladies, then never ever pretend to be something that you're not. Embrace who you are. Show people that you're proud, confident and comfortable with who you are. If someone tries to talk you down, always stand firm and defend who you are.

Do this and they'll go crazy for you.
Has it worked for you?

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
Old 12-07-17, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Has it worked for you?
it definitely works for everyone, in all other aspects of life too.
but being self confident/assertive/resilient and being potentially attractive are 2 different ballgames as far as my experience went. The former requires you to take charge and change for the best which is necessary.And ofcourse,it helps. You can't do much about the latter though. Yeah eating right, working out, being hygienic,charming,brushing your teeth,tiding hair etc etc is just generic advice which almost everyone follows. And you find them in all the so called dating guides. But that's not enough and in some cases not necessary either.
Old 12-07-17, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I'll tell you how to do it if you have ADHD social quirks. Money and career is the short-cut; if you're going well there, results are highly likely.
not necessarily true.its just an add on but not a replacement to who you are as a person. and people can see through that easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmax988 For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 12:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax988 View Post
not necessarily true.its just an add on but not a replacement to who you are as a person. and people can see through that easily.
I have always said on this topic, I want to be wrong. I welcome being wrong on these things, but (at the same time) it's also very hard to be convinced as I am rigid and cynical as a rule. What I have personally seen shows that conventional avenues of success (good credentials or good income among them), tend to be associated with greater success in the dating/mating game; and, it must be said, the opposite appears linked with lack of romantic success. That's what I have seen, with my own eyes.

That is, unless I am deceived. Yes, folks repeatedly tell me I am wrong or oversimplifying it. Maybe that it is the case. Maybe my limited life-experience might be too limited, or maybe I'm subconsciously drawing from the most obvious examples of success in real life, as well as being fooled by the fraudulence of media/social media about what constitutes a winner, and so on. Perhaps that's the case; I'd like it to be.