ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-17, 07:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
ADHD temperament and ADHD?

A large part of the development of implicit self regulation normally occurs before birth and the age 7*.

What could we do to possibly help lessen the distresses of being born with a hypersensitive temperament between birth and the age 7?

M
Old 11-30-17, 08:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,279 Times in 636 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
Re: ADHD temperament and ADHD?

what I found useful is we can edit in behaviors from past memories. if for instance, you mildhad can think of a instance in your childhood , visualize, wright it down or what have you, you can start reprogramming how you would have liked to behave. this stems an end to past behaviors and a new beginning for current ones.

I'll use myself as an exampe. I had a teacher who instilled in me fear of learning with a reflexive *you*. that reflexive you in these context is a self guilt of the teacher and she can spread that with the reflexive *you*.

then I would ask myself (in therapy but then learning the skill, at home) "how could I have behaved differently back then with this person with what I know now".

visualization, pictures, talking helps the process of healing and changing old narratives with new narratives that change behavior in our subconscious. for myself, I would visualize the scene, what she said, what I could of said as an ego defense (best thing about this is you don't have to engage in the outrage of said persons narcissistic injury) and then imagine how you would of liked to behave.

what I would suggest is visualize yourself as a child (or wright it down, a narrative, or talk with someone) and imagine yourself behaving differently, more lovingly, imagine the kid growing or something of the like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-30-17)
Old 11-30-17, 10:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Drogheda

When I posted this thread, I was focusing on ways adults could help children before age 7*, by bringing preventive and treatment topics to cognitive consciousness.

I never expected that I would be discussing about ways some adults could help treat themselves by bringing feelings experienced before the age of 7* to cognitive consciousness for reconsideration.

Thanks very much.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-30-17 at 10:54 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-17, 01:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,279 Times in 636 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

My pleasure.

one note. don't worry about brain pruning. all it does it cut connections and make the city of the brain more focused in general. you don't loose memories, emotions or anything really. it turns ten paths into one (so it prunes the additional paths) so the brain is sleeker and more capable of learning(plasticity) despite the rumor. so your brain isn't wasting resources on all those paths.

Take this with a grain of salt but
from what I'm starting to understand, emotional regulation is basically our energy supply. we run on emotions, it's our version of willpower. art and creativity charges us up, then we have ample focus to do something, we can get tired if we truly aren't interested, then we need to charge up again. the more hollow the subject to the individual the more draining it is.

so introduce the guy to some art and ask him how he feels, or music/guitar (fantastic for ADHD). some other hobby, books, creative writing, drawing, culture. maybe get him one of those cheap camera's.

being outdoors is also incredibly usefull, greenspace is I think the term. exercise. all of this could be exciting for both of you.

another note on progression through life. humans should be looked on as a continuum. it's the exact reason say, in therapy, we are able to tap into our inner child to work out trauma events and reprime emotions and behaviors. we can often also tap into our inner child in theme parks, because as a kid one might of loved themeparks. the saying "it brings out the child inside" is exactly that.