ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 12-01-17, 05:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down On a dating downer again

I don't know what's wrong with me. (Well actually I do), but I just don't know how to fix these wrongs about myself. It really impacts my ability to meet women in the dating world.

I end up throwing myself in too deep too quickly and suddenly that girl that was interested in me 5 minutes ago no longer wants to respond. It always starts off as a bit of fun, but then I run out of ideas to keep things interesting, so I end up talking too much about myself and my flaws, which seems to be an instant no no which I can't seem to avoid.

I always convince myself that "this one is different, this girl will just like and accept me for all that I am", but it's just me lying to myself every single time.

27 and i've never had a single date. A few phone numbers and a few text message exchanges is as far as i'll ever get. I'm just too damn flawed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (12-01-17), Batman55 (12-02-17), kwalk (12-05-17)
Old 12-01-17, 06:10 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,513 Times in 12,018 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On a dating downer again

I know the feeling, Fraser
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Can't make it all alone, I built my dreams around you" Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 06:23 PM

Thanked 28,056 Times in 12,981 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

What flaws do you talk about? What's the last thing that you said before she disappeared?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-01-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-17, 06:27 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
What flaws do you talk about? What's the last thing that you said before she disappeared?
I'm not just talking about one person in particular, i'm talking about every single instance.

It can be something stupid like "How was your day?". That's an instant no response right there, because it's such a boring thing to say and women probably get asked that at least 50 times a day from many different guys.

I can't be consistently entertaining and funny all of the time. So as soon as the fun guy factor wears off, so does my connection with that person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 06:29 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

The online dating world sounds very tough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
The online dating world sounds very tough.
Other guys seem to manage just fine though. So i'm clearly just weak.
Fuzzy12 (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 08:26 PM

Really? from everything you guys have ssaidin the past threads the success rate seeems to be fairly low for most people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-01-17), WhiteOwl (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 08:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,051 Times in 466 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

So sorry, Fraser.

How long do you talk before it stops working? I heard a lot of people meet after only a few days talking on dating sites and at first, I thought that seemed too soon. But from my limited experience, after 2-3 days of consistently talking and finding out the basics, it's going to get stale if you don't meet up or at least talk on the phone. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's just my experience. It seems like the site is just to get you started. After a couple days talking, I'm ready to see how we get along in person and start doing stuff together. I guess I'm trying to say, maybe if you've exchanged quite a few messages and you start to feel things are stalling, then it's time to ask to talk on the phone or meetup.

And whether online or in person, you don't exist for another person's entertainment. Is anyone consistently funny and entertaining? It's about getting to know the other person and being compatible with each other. I have actually looked up lists of questions you can ask the other person, so you can do that if you feel you're not asking enough about them. I understand the temptation to talk too much about yourself and your flaws. I started to do that just last night, and had to catch myself.

I do think you should not give up. Take a break if you need to, but don't give up completely. What happened to joining a Meetup group? Did you try that yet?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (12-01-17), aeon (12-01-17), Fraser_0762 (12-01-17), Fuzzy12 (12-01-17), Greyhound1 (12-01-17), Little Missy (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 12:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

My advice for online dating success: don't be a guy

Cynical and redundant, maybe, but oh-so-true pretty much
Old 12-02-17, 12:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
I do think you should not give up.
Was going to mention a bit of irony here, but nevermind. The cynic is loose again, and perhaps making a few too many assumptions

Rejection sensitivity is not so easy to deal with when you're not prime material given the competition. There are 2 ways to be prime material, one of them mentioned above.. as for the other

"Everyone wants the highest value they can get" said another poster; does it not merely come down to this at the end of the day, as opposed to the ideal of no-holds-barred honesty? Could this be what's going on here?
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 01:00 AM

Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,766 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I can't imagine it was because of your how was your day comment. No one can come up with witty comments constantly and you already hooked her in with the cheese line.

I was watching a youtube video on the messages that couples sent when they first started messaging each other through online dating. Boy were their conversations dry. I think you are actually way ahead of the curve when it comes to being able to come up with interesting comments.

What other flaws did you mention and did you mention your flaws in what way did you mention your flaws? Like did you sound really hard on yourself, we're your flaws mentioned with humor? Did you go on and on about them? What were the last things you spoke to her about?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-02-17), WhiteOwl (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 01:21 AM

Thanked 12,928 Times in 5,753 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
"Everyone wants the highest value they can get" said another poster;...
And this is true. And so too is it also true that value, or worth, is subjective, and relative to the context of each and every person.

Where one may find beauty, another may find more, or less, or none at all, and sometimes there is nothing to explain this, and in no case is it necessary, regardless.

So to try and measure the value of this and that is a fool's errand.

And what does the heart know of such things anyway?

In loving another, the heart only desires the highest value it can give.

"In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Carry That Weight,
Ian
Fraser_0762 (12-02-17), ToneTone (12-02-17), WhiteOwl (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 01:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,051 Times in 466 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
Was going to mention a bit of irony here, but nevermind. The cynic is loose again, and perhaps making a few too many assumptions

Rejection sensitivity is not so easy to deal with when you're not prime material given the competition. There are 2 ways to be prime material, one of them mentioned above.. as for the other

"Everyone wants the highest value they can get" said another poster; does it not merely come down to this at the end of the day, as opposed to the ideal of no-holds-barred honesty? Could this be what's going on here?
Feel free to mention the irony. And maybe it's because it's late and my brain is fried, but I'm not sure what you mean by your post in response to my post, especially your last couple sentences. What do you mean "the highest value" as opposed to honesty? I think you already know from what I've told you that I don't value the things that you have in your head women are supposed to value. The person I'm seeing now has 6 kids, is kind of "rough around the edges" and very blunt like me (which also scares away people, but attracts me because I like directness), and is not what many would describe as handsome (unless they like country rednecks with beards and tattoos). He's not rich or high status. Yet he is kind, easy going and simple, makes me feel valued, asks about my day and what's on my mind, shares the same beliefs and outlook on life as I do, shares the same interests, is consistent and reliable, and works damn hard to make the time to talk to me and see me, despite his busy life. Is this the "highest value" you're talking about?

Last edited by WhiteOwl; 12-02-17 at 02:16 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-02-17), Fraser_0762 (12-02-17), Fuzzy12 (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 05:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty is as pretty does. Thats what my grandpa always told me.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-02-17), Fraser_0762 (12-02-17), Little Missy (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 06:40 AM

I make the mistake of telling them that I ramble on too much (which I do). I just don't know when to put the phone down and keep them waiting for a while. I always feel the urge to respond back as soon as possible. I think it's just poor impulse control. I'm far too impatient to play the waiting game.
aeon (12-02-17)