ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-17, 09:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,056 Times in 12,981 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Internet addiction

Anyone else? How do you deal with it. I can't afford to waste so much time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-06-17), WhiteOwl (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 09:15 PM

NightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the rough
Re: Internet addiction

Yep, big time. Especially as a procrastination tool when I should be doing something more important. If good ol' willpower isn't enough to tear yourself away, try setting an alarm.

The best trick is to put the alarm somewhere that you have to actually get up and move away from the computer. By actually physically moving away from the computer, it gives your will that extra few seconds to go "Ok, time to switch to something else", and hopefully not just plop back down in the computer chair.
Having someone else to be accountable to is a helpful tool as well. I know it's one thing to let myself slip, but when someone else is expecting me to check in, or follow-up, I'm a lot more likely to monitor myself better.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to NightKnight For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-07-17)
Old 12-06-17, 09:16 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,101 Times in 6,311 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I deal with mine mainly by wasting time on the Internet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17), Fuzzy12 (12-07-17), Little Missy (12-06-17), WhiteOwl (12-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-17, 09:26 PM

Thanked 19,704 Times in 10,506 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I am NOT addicted though.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17), Fuzzy12 (12-07-17), Greyhound1 (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 09:48 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,101 Times in 6,311 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I am NOT addicted though.
I'm not either really. I just waste most of my free time being online everyday and can't control it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17), Fuzzy12 (12-07-17), Little Missy (12-06-17), PoppnNSailinMan (12-08-17)
Old 12-06-17, 11:16 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,720 Times in 8,871 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Yup. So much information at our fingertips...always ready and accessible...24/7...regardless of the topic of interest in the moment...just google that s*** and carry on...and it's created an inner knowledge thirsty/entertainment junkie/thrill seeking monster starving for more....and we must feed it every chance we get.

It's the one connection we can make that feels certain...all with the instant reward and ease of a simple click. Don't like that one? Click another. Ta-da! An adhd dream come true. But I'm glad we kept our encyclopedias, because one day that connection might not go through. lol

Fewer commercials, more viewing options, endless hours of entertainment, life enrichment opportunities, DIY instructions to make/fix almost everything, energy draining distractions, momentum inspiring moments, and mirrors mirrors everywhere often reflecting back to me exactly what it is I need most to see.

If only I could get it to do dishes, laundry, make hula hoops, garden, and cook....but I can always google how to improve my own skills...that is if I can make myself walk away from the damn computer. lol We're such funny creatures of various learned daily habits that lead to addiction.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-07-17), Fuzzy12 (12-07-17)
Old 12-07-17, 05:24 AM

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till your internet provider contract runs out and don't renew it for several months? Basically you have to force your mind to start being occupied by other things. The internet offers an overabundance of stimulation. Sometimes you need to de-stimulate yourself in order to be stimulated by other things again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-07-17), Fuzzy12 (12-07-17)
Old 12-07-17, 05:29 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I access the internet on my phone. I wish I could just disable it but I need it for a lot of things all the time. The biggest offenders are addf and news sites. Maybe I could look into blocking these at least temporarily. I waste hours in the morning when fuzzling is at nursery though I've got so much to do. There must be some site blocking apps right? Though I've got a feeling if I block these sites I'll just end up browsing random stuff like what was Kim Kardashian's favourite nursery rhyme...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-07-17)
Old 12-07-17, 05:34 AM

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I access the internet on my phone. I wish I could just disable it but I need it for a lot of things all the time. The biggest offenders are addf and news sites. Maybe I could look into blocking these at least temporarily. I waste hours in the morning when fuzzling is at nursery though I've got so much to do. There must be some site blocking apps right? Though I've got a feeling if I block these sites I'll just end up browsing random stuff like what was Kim Kardashian's favourite nursery rhyme...
Do you really need it though? Or do you just feel like you do? There are other ways to find information if you really need that information. The internet is just quicker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-07-17)
Old 12-07-17, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Do you really need it though? Or do you just feel like you do? There are other ways to find information if you really need that information. The internet is just quicker.
Yes I need it. Maybe not to the extent I use it (eg I could look up recipes in a book) but I don't want to give up the convenience ease and speed it offers when I do need it.
Old 12-08-17, 01:58 PM

BuckisMunz is on a distinguished road

I tried this app one time, called, 30/30. Basically it's a timer. I would set it to 30 minutes focused time. The 5 minute break for internet, or anything I wanted to do. But during that 30 minutes i couldn't do anything else other than work. But it was a short time, so I knew I could handle 30 minutes of focus knowing I'd get a break. It worked quite well and productivity sky rocketed even though I was taking basically a 10 minute break every hour.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuckisMunz For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-09-17), NightKnight (12-08-17)
Old 12-09-17, 12:51 PM

Fredrica is on a distinguished road

Spending too much time on the computer can interfere with so many aspects of life, including the ability to connect with people in meaningful ways. What do you think you are avoiding by spending so much time on the internet? Setting boundaries for computer and internet use is important, but being intentional about developing real relationships and engaging in other activities and interests is also necessary.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fredrica For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-09-17), Fuzzy12 (12-09-17), PoppnNSailinMan (12-10-17)
Old 12-11-17, 05:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I need my phone- or at least I want it. I can put it down at dinner, the movies or doing other things but its one of my favorite ways to unwind.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-11-17)
Old 12-11-17, 09:47 PM

Thanked 3,450 Times in 1,766 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

The average person spends 5 hours a day on Internet and tv on average.

Do you spend that fuzz? And remember, that's just an average, a little more than that isn't alarming either. I point that out to my mom everytime she tells me I'm attached to the computer because I don't spend that much time - not even close.

The only thing that comes even close to an "addiction" fir me is that I have a hard time putting down my phone even when someone wants to have a conversation with me sometimes. But this really is more my adhd imo. Not an addiction

Everyone is glued to their phone screens these days. I guess you can say we are all addicted except I don't know about you but I don't feel this overwhelming desire to get my fix. Even if it would be difficult to give it up at first. I'd also have a hard time giving up hot baths and showers to go back to the dark ages of no showers or just cold ones. Doesnt mean I'm addicted to showers.

Last edited by acdc01; 12-11-17 at 09:59 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-12-17), Fuzzy12 (12-12-17)
Old 12-12-17, 05:20 AM

5h

That sounds like a lot but I'm not sure I don't come close if I add up all the little 10min sessions. When I was at work I easily clocked up 5h (not including any work related internet use.) I should probably record how much I use the internet. I don't have the mental capacity to try to count in retrospection.

The problem is that is interferes absolutely with my daily functioning and I struggle to tear myself away even when I know I have to. I use my mobile first thing in the morning and last at night. I even have a quick glance when I wake up in the middle of the night. I worry about all the radiation fuzzling is exposed to but I still can't stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-12-17)