ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What type(s) of ADD are you?
Classic ADD (Hyperactive,Inattentive,Impulsive) 102 30.36%
Inattentive ADD 204 60.71%
Overfocused ADD 69 20.54%
Temporal Lobe ADD 44 13.10%
Limbic ADD 79 23.51%
Ring of Fire ADD 32 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-03, 01:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

LiLMissADDitude is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Adult ADHD--According to Dr Amens 6 ADD types

Dr Amen author of many books including "Healing ADD" has discovered 6 types of ADD including:
(These are short descriptions taken straight from the book Healing ADD)

1 Classic ADD-Inattentive, distractible, disorganized, hyperactive, restless, and impulsive

2 Inattentive ADD- Easily distracted with a low attention span, but not hyperactive. Instead, often appears sluggish or apathetic

3 Overfocused ADD- Excessive worrying, argumentative and compulsive; often gets locked in a spiral of negative thoughts

4 Temporal Lobe ADD- Quick temper and rage, periods of panic and fear, mildly paranoid

5 Limbic ADD- Moodiness, low energy. Socially isolated, chronic low-grade depression. Frequent feelings of hopelessness

6 Ring of Fire ADD- Angry, aggressive, sensitive to noise, light, clothes and touch; often inflexible, experiencing periods of mean, unpredictable behavior, and grandoise thinking

Don't know your type? Take the test and find out: www.brainplace.com This test doesnt include the Ring of Fire type but usually this type is present when 3 or more ADD subtypes exist.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to LiLMissADDitude For This Useful Post:
vja4Him (05-23-10)
Old 09-16-03, 09:11 AM

tiggwin is on a distinguished road
Re: According to Dr Amens 6 ADD types

I'm primarily Inattentive type, but I also checked Classic since I have trouble organizing and I'm verbally impulsive (but not hyper). I'm half way through this book right now, and I have learned a lot so far. I'd highly recommend it. See for yourself:
Healing ADD by Daniel G. Amen

"Focus on remedies, not faults."
- Jack Nicklaus
Old 09-17-03, 03:30 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
I checked "classic" because my "official" diagnosis is AD/HD, Combined Type.

Having said that.....

If I read Amen right, you need $3K to get a SPECT scan to diagnose by his typology -- so my "real" answer is --- ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Going by the descriptions, I can also see some Temporal Lobe and "Ring of Fire" tendencies (basically having to do with anxiety, sensory overloading, and temper).

Since it is obvious that people can have more than one area of "low performance" in the brain, I think many people will register with more than one Amen type.....

Ken

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-03, 03:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Keppig has disabled reputation
There is a tab called something checklist on the site, click on that for test... warning its 101 questions....

Hmm it says that I'm not probable for anything, including ADD... weird...
Old 09-17-03, 03:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ya..many people do have more than one type. In adults the most common seems to be inattentive type. A lot of people who I know with inattentive type ADD also have some limbic symptoms.

Like you said its possible to have more than one low performance area in the brain. But dont forget its possible to have too much activity too. Many of Dr Amens types can be caused by too little OR too much activity. Ring of Fire usually has some areas with over activity.

My official diagnosis includes ADHD combined type (was very close to being diagnosed as primarily hyperactive impulsive type but the doc decided my attention problems were sufficient enough to diagnose combined type) And conduct disorder.

Doing doc amens surveys and reading the info results are ADHD combined type, and Ring of Fire ADD. (hmmm ring of fire is usually the term when there are 3 or more ADD subtypes yet I only scored positive for inattentive/hyperactive, impulsive and Ring of Fire.) Most people who score positive for Ring of Fire also score positive for limbic or temporal lobe or another subtype dont they?? Maybe the Ring of Fire symptoms are related to conduct disorder?

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Old 09-17-03, 06:40 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...caused by too little OR too much activity...
I agree -- I think the basic problem is inappropriate **levels** of response. The same ADDers can be oversensitive/overreactive, or completely zoned out and clueless....and it varies from minute to minute.

Quote:
... Maybe the Ring of Fire symptoms are related to conduct disorder?
ADD was at one time included in the a behavioral disorder section of the DSM. It is significantly "comorbid" with ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder). I wouldn't be surprised if in the past kids with ADD were pigeonholed as CD kids.

Ken

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Old 09-19-03, 01:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kassie -

You mean it said probable for Cingulate System Hyperactivity & Basal Ganglia Hyperactivity?

I think thats supposedly related to anxiety??

Old 09-30-03, 03:28 PM
Contributor

MightyMouse is on a distinguished road
Red face Just some useful/less trivia

Just as an FYI and trivia point the "low-grade depression" Amen refers to in Limbic type ADDers is clinically referred to as Dysthymia or Dysthymic Disorder. Just thought you would like to know.

lol
MightyMouse

P.S. I am classic ADD with off the chart hyperactivity. I was the typical class-disruptor-won't-stay-in-his seat-teacher-hated-me type in school.

'Ich bin nie anderen Menschen zu messen genesen' - it has never been possible to measure me in terms of other human beings. - Else Lasker-Shuler

Genius is mainly an affair of energy - Matthew Arnold
Old 09-30-03, 03:46 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LiLMissADDitude
Kassie -

You mean it said probable for Cingulate System Hyperactivity & Basal Ganglia Hyperactivity?

I think thats supposedly related to anxiety??

I think you are either misquoting or confused. The basil ganglia consist of the caudate nucleus, the putamen and the globus pallidus and are involved in the control of movement, not anxiety. The "ring of fire" type is so called because the cingulate gyrus, parietal lobes , temporal lobes, and prefrontal cortex are all hyperactive and therefore produce a ring pattern on the SPECT imaging. The cingulate gyrus is the important area of dysfunction because it is a component of the limbic system, which controls motivation and emotion. That is why the "ring of fire" type is usually hyperaggressive.

hope this helps.

MightyMouse

'Ich bin nie anderen Menschen zu messen genesen' - it has never been possible to measure me in terms of other human beings. - Else Lasker-Shuler

Old 09-30-03, 06:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MightyMouse

I think you are either misquoting or confused. The basil ganglia consist of the caudate nucleus, the putamen and the globus pallidus and are involved in the control of movement, not anxiety. The "ring of fire" type is so called because the cingulate gyrus, parietal lobes , temporal lobes, and prefrontal cortex are all hyperactive and therefore produce a ring pattern on the SPECT imaging. The cingulate gyrus is the important area of dysfunction because it is a component of the limbic system, which controls motivation and emotion. That is why the "ring of fire" type is usually hyperaggressive.

hope this helps.

MightyMouse
I'm not misquoting nor am I confused. FYI here is a quote from Dr. Amen "When we see too much activity in the basal ganglia it is often associated with anxiety, tension, increased awareness and heightened fear. "

Old 10-02-03, 02:19 AM

innocentat50 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I just tested myself according to Dr. Amen's questionair and found that his test does not seem to apply to me. The reason I say this is that the results say that 4 of the 6 types are highly probable in my case. However, there are several symptoms in every one of the highly probable types that I do not have. On the other hand, so-to-speak, most of the descriptions for each do apply. So what type am I? I must be a different type that he did not consider. That is the only rational explanation the way I see it. Does anyone have any comments on this?
May you meet your responsibilities with love, creativity, and insight,
Old 10-02-03, 08:05 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Ya, me too.

I think he's only going with 6 of 1000's of possible combinations....
Old 10-02-03, 03:17 PM
Contributor

where are you at?

Quote:
Originally posted by LiLMissADDitude

I'm not misquoting nor am I confused. FYI here is a quote from Dr. Amen "When we see too much activity in the basal ganglia it is often associated with anxiety, tension, increased awareness and heightened fear. "
Where are you reading this? I can't find it. On page 141 (Healing ADD, chptr 10) is clearly says, "'Ring of fire ' ADD gets its name form the physiology underlying the disease as seen on SPECT scans...people with 'ring of fire' ADD have too much brain activity across the whole cerebral cortex, especially in the cingtulate gyrus, parietal lobes, temporal lobes, and prefrontal cortex." There is no mention of the basil ganglia that I know of. I rechecked my Neuroanotomy and Physioloygy bks again and they all say that the basil ganglia is involved in movement, not emotion. (Carlson, Neil R. Physiology of Behavior. Boston: Allyn and Bacon Press, 2001. pg. 82). Let me know where Dr. Amen quoted the above, becasue it is going to drive me crazy otherwise.

FYI. I studied with one of the Neurophysiologist that Dr. Amen quotes, Joel Lubar, Ph.D. at UofTenn, Knoxville (Healing ADD, pg 42-44, 256). It was really fascinating work. The guy is really on the cutting edge of ADD research.

Thnks,
MM

Old 10-02-03, 08:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

The quote isnt from that book. I have tons of studies and books by Dr. Amen.
I'm not sure where I found it. I think it was probably "Change Your Brain Change Your Life"

Old 10-03-03, 09:19 AM
Contributor

you must be a really big fan of Dr. Amen to have so many studies and books. I enjoyed Healing ADD, but I wish the SPECT scans were not so expensive to have. I would like to have one done, just to see what they show.