ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: What's your personally preferred approach to Psychology?
Psychodynamic Approach 1 6.67%
Behavioral Approach 0 0%
Humanistic Approach 1 6.67%
Cognitive Approach 1 6.67%
Biological Approach 3 20.00%
Transpersonal Approach 0 0%
Other (Please explain) 0 0%
A Combination of 2 or more of these Schools 8 53.33%
None. Insights into the Mind and Behavior needs to be no deeper than the pages of the DSM. 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-11, 08:55 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 825 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute
Question What's your personally preferred approach to Psychology

So there's this thing called Psychology, which is the science of the mind and behavior. While the goals of the many facets of Psychology are generally the same, the preferred method of reaching those goals can vary from individual to individual. These approaches and methods are different interpretations of who we are and why.

To some people, some approaches have little or no relevance, to others they might all be significant.

A brief rundown of these angles (that i couldn't fit into the poll options) are:

Psychodynamic Approach (Internal conflicts and forces below the consciousness which lead to behavior)

Behavioral Approach (Behavior is largely a response to stimuli of the environment - not thoughts or feelings)

Humanistic Approach (Understanding people's values, intentions, and self-concepts. That people will reach their full potential if they are given the opportunity to do so)

Cognitive Approach (The observation of how our ways of thinking about situations and events influence our behavior)

Biological Approach (The study of genes, the brain and neurological environments influencing behavior)

Transpersonal Approach (The spiritual and/or metaphysical influences and conflicts of the human psyche)

Or do you have your own personal take that you feel is an important filter through with to observe and explain the where's and why's to behavior, that you would like to share?

Or do you feel that these notions of how the mind and behavior work, are just silly archaic notions that are only inhibiting our ability to observe, diagnose and treat mental health issues.

I_DTour

Last edited by Impromptu_DTour; 03-05-11 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: cause im picky
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impromptu_DTour For This Useful Post:
APSJ (03-06-11), qinkin (03-10-11)
Old 03-05-11, 09:00 PM
Contributor

FaithofLeap has a spectacular aura aboutFaithofLeap has a spectacular aura about
Re: What is your preferred approach to Psychology?

Give me the meds now and I will work on the rest later.

The meds are helping me learn new habits and coping skills. I told this to my p-doc last week and he was okay with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to FaithofLeap For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 09:08 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,744 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Biological.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-11, 09:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,260 Times in 5,501 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you feel is the most important approach to Psychology, Dx, and Mental Hea

psychodynamic leading to biological
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-11, 09:13 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,614 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold
Re: What do you feel is the most important approach to Psychology, Dx, and Mental Hea

I think it's important for me to stay in touch with everyone else, or i'll get sucked into my tendency to analyze problems all the time. Most people I know don't even know what NT stands for. Sometimes I wonder if I was better off not knowing I have ADD. I mean, the same problems keep happeneing, and things have actually gotten worse for me since I found out.
The Following User Says Thank You to tired1823 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-11, 09:13 PM
Contributor

FaithofLeap has a spectacular aura aboutFaithofLeap has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithofLeap View Post
Give me the meds now and I will work on the rest later.

The meds are helping me learn new habits and coping skills. I told this to my p-doc last week and he was okay with that.
My non-smarta** answer would be the Biological Approach.
The Following User Says Thank You to FaithofLeap For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-11, 09:14 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

cool thread idea
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (03-05-11), mctavish23 (03-06-11)
Old 03-05-11, 09:37 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 825 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

When i break it down - i have a bit of an eclectic position. But im really really partial to the Humanistic approaches. Im really interested in Psychodynamics, and Cognitive Principles, but im really a sucker for the how powerful the Humanistic Approach can be.

I_DTour
Old 03-06-11, 12:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care, whatever works. Goat dung, seahorse shavings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marspider For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (03-06-11)
Old 03-06-11, 02:37 PM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Oooh Oooh....... Goat Dung Therapy & Sea Horse Shavings...

Messy But Definite Potential.

I made one of several B's in my Clinical Psych grad program in a class

on Psychotherapy that I liked and had nothing less than a 100 average.

The teacher was cool and I respected his decision.

Keep in mind that this was 1974 and I was in my advanced Cheech & Chong

phase.

Okay, so there I was on the front row (which is where I always sat).

Stoned of course.

One of my classmates was giving a presentation on "Primal Scream" therapy.

After she curled up on the floor in a fetal position and started screaming at

the top of her lungs, I broke out into the poster child photo op for "WTF?"

Unfortunately (for me) Dr. Levin (now retired) asked me what I thought.

Not good.

Never ask me that unless you want to REALLY know the bottom line.

So, after responding with "You Can't Be Serious. That's the lamest gd thing

I've ever seen," I secured my B.

Oh well,stuff happens.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
TygerSan (03-11-11)
Old 03-10-11, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impromptu_DTour View Post
When i break it down - i have a bit of an eclectic position. But im really really partial to the Humanistic approaches. Im really interested in Psychodynamics, and Cognitive Principles, but im really a sucker for the how powerful the Humanistic Approach can be.

I_DTour
would the humanistic approach involve a relation to gestalt therapy?