ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 02-24-11, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all
Re: Living & Motivation~Scientific-Method~Will~Monetary-Based-Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb
Money can't be made to work, can it ?
I have yet to be convinced.

Quote:
Noting { science, engineering, technology } for personal profit
We are realizing, w/those same tools though, that it's not computing for even personal profits, it' money for it's own sake. Clouds the objective lens.

What technology really has to do w/money specifically anyway? Nothing that can't also be used for calculations. . Money, is a human social paradigm, but is it technology though?..

Money resides in the realm of information and social contracts. So does a lot of things. However w/money, the information is not universally consistent. I would use the word "logic" but I do hesitate. Language is the closest thing I can think of, that is also not universally consistent, and also information, and culture bound. Language is a basic aspect of communication though, no matter what the socio-economic paradigm is. Science is a blend of universally recognized observations, terms and mathematics, which is also a universal tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to qinkin For This Useful Post:
SB_UK (02-24-11)
Old 02-24-11, 05:13 PM

Thanked 6,434 Times in 4,684 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinkin View Post
I would use the word "logic" but I do hesitate.
Have been staring at this definition of philosophy (earlier on today), trying to work out why it appeals more than the image which comes to mind (real world experimentation) when I think of science.

~s~
Quote:
Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
I wonder whether it's because it's 'clean'.

It'd be nice if philosophy could guide science - that costly experimentation only be attempted if two equally worthy arguments can be definitively separated through defined experiment.

How much of academic science is conducted for 'all' the wrong reasons ?

~for instance~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabile View Post
Thereís a desperate sense to the genetic studies Iíve seen. The problem is that the statistical view has a compelling nature, and the dangers arenít obvious. But the result is bad science, in my not so humble opinion.
Richard Wilkinson in one of Peter Joseph's presentations makes the same point.

Quote:
The disorders (of Western living) are increasing in prevalence at too rapid a rate to be 'classically' genetically determined.
~paraphrase~
It's difficult to police { Science, Technolgy and Engineering }
- because of the 'language' difference.

Are 'experts' raising objections because it's a bad idea ?
... ... or because it challenges their position ?
... ... or because they're ignorant ?

~s~
Quote:
Fujio Masuoka invented flash memory, a technology used in semiconductors with sales of $76 billion in 2001.
Subsequently, Masuoka says, Toshiba tried repeatedly to move him from his senior post to a position where he could do no further research.
Are human beings actually able to work together, meaningfully, prior to minds being calibrated (socially) ?
qinkin (02-24-11)
Old 03-12-11, 10:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,165 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb
Money can't be made to work, can it ?
Works for me when I need food, water and petrol..
I can't see any other way right now ..

CHINESE PROVERB
Sponsored Links