ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-06-11, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

thegreenjudy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreenjudy has a spectacular aura about
ADD medication alternatives with existing depression

I am quite new to this and I was wondering if there is any medication that DOESN'T have increased risk of depression as a side-effect. I took Ritalin for 3 month and ended up being suicidal. But I was already diagnosed with depression so it's not surprising that it increased my depression.

All the products I found are stimulants that are very likely to worsen my depression and restlessness (ironic, really...) - I probably have add without the h but I feel very restless and anxious inside and can't relax at all.

What type of medication is out there that doesn't cause these side-effects and actually WORKS?
Old 07-07-11, 04:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

thegreenjudy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreenjudy has a spectacular aura about
Re: ADD medication alternatives with existing depression

Oh my goodness I just made and amazing discovery!!

I am not a big coffee drinker - BUt every now and then I have one cup. I never really noticed it until yesterday! Coffee calms me down great time and helps me to focus and get on with stuff! So I googled it and found more threads from people who discovered the same. And when I just googled "why does coffee calm me down?" (without adding ADHD) I mostly found sites or comments from people who have ADHD.

I think this should deserve proper research!!

I guess everybody is different but I find that an amazingly large amount of people with ADD/ADHD say the same. Maybe I should just become a coffee-junkie...just scared that the effect will wear off after a while...wondering if caffeine tablets have the same effect??
Old 07-07-11, 06:41 AM
Forum ADDvocate

gerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nice

Don't go there.....
Coffee is fun, not for medicating yourself.
I am taking antidepressants and ritalin, i feel i'm letting go of the depression and dealing with my ADHD is becoming a nice, fun way of life actually.

I know for me, it helps to blurt out your emotions to a trustee and medication together.

maybe a Pdoc can help you out a bit better.
Raoul Duke: One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)

I say no to drugs, but they donít listen.
G.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-11, 08:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

mmhhh..I somehow think that one coffee a day is probably healthier than Ritalin..But I can see where you are coming from..
Old 07-07-11, 08:42 AM
Forum ADDvocate

gerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nicegerwin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenjudy View Post
mmhhh..I somehow think that one coffee a day is probably healthier than Ritalin..But I can see where you are coming from..

one coffee a day is no problem
Raoul Duke: One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)

I say no to drugs, but they donít listen.
G.
The Following User Says Thank You to gerwin For This Useful Post:
thegreenjudy (07-07-11)