ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-18, 01:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,351 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Is medication good or bad for substance abuse

Hi Mummin, If you do nothing there are risks and routinely taking amphetamines to treat your issues also has risks. Whether you are able to manage routinely taking amphetamines I "believe" depends solely on you in general and whether or not you have a real "problem" now. IMVHO there are differences between the drugs based on their potential to blow your life up and how long it takes for them to do it. You can seriously abuse cigarettes or coffee for 30+ years and still function at a very high level. If you seriously abuse others, your life or ability to function well is gone in a cupla years. At that point how much of your life will you be able to recover is a crap shoot. GL and I sincerely hope it works out well for you. -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-15-18), psychopathetic (03-15-18)
Old 03-17-18, 10:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,458 Times in 14,483 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is medication good or bad for substance abuse

I come from a place of recovery- so I dont mean to sound preachy but I have met probably 200 people who have all said what you said. They all used the same justifications and excuse. Made the same promises to themselves and others. They all started out by self medicating and used their need for medication and not getting it as a reason for why substance abuse was ok for them, and how they were different. Out of those 200 I would say maybe 10 of those people are still living that way. Maybe 100 are sober, 20 are still struggling and 70 are dead. So far in the last year I have been to five funerals and thats only been since December. Those are pretty sucky odds and thats in my small pond in nowhere New Jersey.
Those are only stats from my network. Multiply that by a thousand percent or more and you'll see what I am talking about. You cant live that way and expect to be alive. The ones that are are living on borrowed time and must have incredible genetics or luck.
You can tell yourself whatever you want. You can say you will stop or that you can stop or that you only need to use certain things and not the others. The behavior and need to self medicate is the addiction. The substance of choice may change but the behavior is still the same.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-17-18), Lunacie (03-17-18)