ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-12, 12:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,934 Times in 7,992 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Combined types- Inattentive symptoms

Over the years I've seen combined types defined as the exact opposite of PI types (PI types doing the defining naturally) Maybe if we talk about our inattentive symptoms we'll figure out where this amazing difference is.

How do your inattentive symptoms manifest?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-12-12), peripatetic (08-17-12), plank80 (08-12-12), Raye (08-20-12)
Old 08-12-12, 03:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Combined types- Inattentive symptoms

When I read your post I thought you wanted input from both PI and Combined. My bad.

Last edited by Verile; 08-12-12 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Oops
Old 08-12-12, 03:38 AM

ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting but I was asking people with combined type adhd.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-12, 03:38 AM

Thanked 4,979 Times in 2,158 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

For me it presents like I'm hyper and capable one minute and then can't find my brain and can't communicate the next.

So sometimes I might be at work and I keep getting emails but can't understand any of them so then because I can't understand I have to then ring the person who sent it and ask them if I was actually meant to do anything.

Or I get given a load of instructions which I can't interpret.

I lose huge chunks of time and I don't know where they went.

I can't seem to communicate in a way that anyone else can understand.

I realise I need to do something on my computer so I go to start > programs > ? coz I've forgotten what it is I'm supposed to be doing.

I walk away from my desk to do something and come to a complete standstill coz I've forgotten what I had gotton up to do.

I take the minutes for meetings and I have to ask people to repleat what they said because I wasn't paying attention and missed it.

I don't get most of the jokes coz I'm not paying enough attention at the time.

to name a few...
Drewbacca (08-12-12), EnergizerJen (08-21-12), Lunacie (08-12-12), plank80 (08-12-12)
Old 08-12-12, 03:43 AM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verile View Post
I define myself as PI but I identify even more with the new SCT definition.
Honestly, even if there was an SCT diagnosis...
It would most likely say that an SCT diagnosis is only legitimate under the condition that no other illness/disorder better explains the symtoms.

The fact that you only sleep four hours each night is most likely causing the SCT symtoms that you are experiencing. You need to figure out what is up with your sleep difficulty. Hound the VA until you get the appropriate help.

You strike me as a combined type with something else going on, based on what you have posted here and in other threads.
Old 08-12-12, 03:55 AM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post

How do your inattentive symptoms manifest?
I can't sit still in a classroom. I'm constantly fidgeting in my seat as if I can't get comfortable. I get up at least once during most classes and leave the classroom.

I ask professors to repeat the last statement b/c I started to daydream about something else.
I ask friends, while in conversation, to start over because they say a word that triggers my mind which then wanders somewhere else.

I once had a phone call while I was tightening the lug-nuts on the wheels of my car. I had just rotated the tires/wheels. I forgot to tighten the last wheel. It fell off later.

Stupid mistakes on tests due to misreading a part of a problem. I just sort of decide what the next question should be myself and answer it appropriately.

Grabbing pepper when I mean to grab cinnamon and sprinkling it on my french-toast.

I'm sure that I'll think of more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post

I lose huge chunks of time and I don't know where they went.

I can't seem to communicate in a way that anyone else can understand.
While I've experience everything that you listed, these two ring truest for me. As far back as I can remember in my life, time disappearing has been my biggest problem.

Also, I can't sit through a movie. I don't like American Football because there are too many commercials/time-outs... but I have no problem sitting through a hockey or soccer game where there is constant action.

I need to constantly be on the go. The odd thing is, I can lay in bed for hours so long as I'm mentally engaged. I can drive a car for hours so long as I'm mentally engaged.
I will freak out if I see a line or get stuck in traffic. I will drive twenty minutes extra just to avoid sitting still... I can't stand it!!!
I will pace when having conversations with others, even more so if I start to get bored.
I hate to sit down, I have to be on my feet. People always point this out to me.
These are qualities of inattentiveness... or more accurately, they are coping mechanisms that I employ when I begin to loose patience and want to move on.

I have no patience when I feel someone is holding me back. I get quite irritable. Again, these are basically a response to not wanting to get into a scenario where I start to let my attention drift.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
425runner (08-12-12), hanikamiya (08-12-12), Lunacie (08-12-12), plank80 (08-12-12), tudorose (08-12-12)
Old 08-12-12, 05:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

plank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of light

Tudorose nailed it.

Sometimes someone can ask me a simple question and I completely stumble over my words like trying to remember what they asked, how that relates to what I was doing while trying to put the words together and speak at the same time just makes my head explode. Then my words come out in the wrong order and what I said doesnt make sense at all .

This happens when Im writing posts as well, this one made my brain feel like it was getting put thru a blender. Thats why mine are always short.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plank80 For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (08-12-12), tudorose (08-12-12)
Old 08-12-12, 06:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am impulsive and fly off the handle-that the combined part. I forget my keys,wallet at the store,bills,appts,phone calls,emails,conversations,stuff at the grocery store,picking my ids up on time-thats the PI part. I can begin to explain how many times the guy from the electric company shows up to turn off the power at my house-only because I forgot to pay the bill.

I am then forced to scramble for the checkbook and pay him on the spot. I get to do all of this with my neighbors watching the power guy and his big truck sitting in my driveway.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (08-12-12)
Old 08-12-12, 09:05 AM

Thanked 25,916 Times in 12,088 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Difficulty staying on task when the task takes longer than a few minutes.

Taking a break from the task and forgetting to go back and finish it.

Difficulty organizing things that take too many steps.

Losing things like keys or phones or children!

Distracted from finishing one chore because something else catches my attention.
And then not finishing that one because something else needs to be done.
On and on and on ...

Writing a check or a list or filling out paperwork and being distracted by someone talking to me or asking me a question. It takes real focus to get back to what I was doing.

Difficulty concentrating in conversations as something that is said triggers a different thought and then I blurt out something that apparently has nothing to do with the present conversation.

Or having my mind wander and then sharing a thought that was pertinent a few minutes ago, before the conversation went in another direction while I was distracted.

Forgetting appointments or meetings, or being late because I thought I had time to finish something or play just one more game online.

"According to the diagnostic criteria, an individual with at least six of the following symptoms of inattention:" Where does that say "Without any signs of impulsivity"?

Because I experience ALL of the things on that list of symptoms:

Quote:
Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work or other activities
Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
Is often forgetful in daily activities

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (08-12-12), sarahsweets (08-12-12)
Old 08-12-12, 12:31 PM

Thanked 8,348 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

about that one...the one about avoiding tasks that require sustained mental effort .....Ding DIngDing DIng ......we have a winner ......there are things I should do or take care of that require some serious thought .......and most, like 90% of the time ....I squirm away from dealing with them .....

or if I get started, I punk out as soon as I can .....

but weirdly enough if it's a creative problem ......while I might put it off, it's because lots of times, direct thinking about it forces a decision or methoid that might not be the best one .....if I stash the problem back in my brain, and let it simmer there for a while, I eventually come up with a solution that works for that particular project.....

I am working on several furniture pieces right now, that I want to do the best for the piece, and by letting all the ideas float around in my brain, other ideas are joining them ......

but there I go again ......rambling off topic.......

and Lunacies list ? ....guilty of all of them .....actually I can't think of an ADHD trait for combined that I don't have .....both groups .....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (08-17-12)
Old 08-17-12, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I am impulsive and fly off the handle-that the combined part. I forget my keys,wallet at the store,bills,appts,phone calls,emails,conversations,stuff at the grocery store,picking my ids up on time-thats the PI part. I can begin to explain how many times the guy from the electric company shows up to turn off the power at my house-only because I forgot to pay the bill.

I am then forced to scramble for the checkbook and pay him on the spot. I get to do all of this with my neighbors watching the power guy and his big truck sitting in my driveway.
Actually inattentive symptoms are also the combined part. Yeah, forgetting to pay bills.. can be super embarrassing.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (08-17-12)
Old 08-17-12, 03:10 AM
Contributor

Kasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a dx combined type and I find that my inattentive traits tend to happen while still doing something 'hyperactive'. I daydream a lot and get lost in my own world or have my nose firmly in a book, but at the same time, I'm doing it while walking on my way to school/store/what have you. On tests I often carelessly read the question, and think it's asking something different to answer because I missed a few words, but my leg tends to be bouncing like a mother, and I'm always paranoid I'm going to get called out for 'cheating' because my gaze tends to ping pong around for something 'interesting' in between my occasionally eyebrow raising misreading of questions.

I also tend to be in a bit of a 'fog' because I may not directly be associating with the conversation, but a lot of times I'm trying to mentally link it to where we are, what we're doing, and linked activities. It's really ******* exhausting and very frustrating at times.
I think the problem with figuring out the inattentive details, is that often we happen to be doing something hyper at the same damn time, and that's what draws the attention most. What are you going to pay attention to? The fact that I'm staring off into space, or the fact I might be humming and sharpening my pencil in a loud mechanical sharpener, while everyone else is trying to focus on something?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (08-17-12)
Old 08-17-12, 09:22 AM

Thanked 25,916 Times in 12,088 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Small clarification - the forgetfulness is the Inattentive part.

The list of symptoms is Inattentive Symptoms - not Primarily Inattentive Symptoms.

It's only PI or Primarily Inattentive if there are none or few of the symptoms from the Hyperactive and/or Impulsive lists.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-19-12), ginniebean (08-18-12)
Old 08-17-12, 06:31 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

The symptoms I really notice have to do with anything that requires me to mentally focus for an extended period of time. Prior to medication, reading usually put me to sleep in about 10-15 minutes. It's really a miracle I was able to read books at all. It was pretty hard in school though. I would try to read something, get tired, and take a nap. And whatever I read before, I'd totally forget.

Speaking of focus, it's also inconsistent. Some times I can focus for hours, sometimes it's a struggle to focus for 10 minutes.

Several people have said I talk really fast and really loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michiko74 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (08-18-12)
Old 08-18-12, 12:47 AM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Tudor totally describes me. I meant to say that in a different way but the brain cannot form words as well as some other times.

In the morning I feel so foggy it feels impossible to get out of bed and my legs or whole body aches from sleeping issues. I'm grunting at the cats and after I eat breakfast I feel a little bit better. By the time I'm dressed (sometimes I'm still feeling so tired I will get dressed slowly sitting on the floor, crossed-legged) I'll feel wide awake. I put on lights, music or make my own sounds to help me feel awake.

Some days when that doesn't happen I will be counting down the hour, minutes when I can take my medication. I might even take it earlier. Actually I tend to write better from 9am even if I burn out earlier. But I digress.

I burn out from writing so easily. I'm not sure if you'll call that an inattentive symptom. But it's within 2-3 hours. When I push it I will not be able to even think clearly for the rest of the day. This is with medication too.

I'm just drifting now, fighting the urge to write down all my distracting thoughts. Motivation is quite low even though I don't feel burned, I just feel how I've felt for the past 26 years. Like I'm low on energy but not low enough to not participate in a conversation. Face to face might be different. I'll probably just sit there and respond with only 'yes' to everything the person says.

Meanwhile there's these nagging voice at the back of my brain saying 'buy credit, and eat before you pass out again.'

Reading can make me tired too if I'm not hyperfocused on it. All the fish oil and dark chocolate doesn't make the problem completely go away, but I have had good results with that stuff.

My forgetfulness is pretty bad. I'm usually good at knowing how many reps I've done in weight lifting (struggling to remember what 'reps' actually mean) but today I think I did many repeats when I had completed them so I ended up doing more. The plus side is I will be stronger.
I can forget something said to me 15 seconds after it's said. My life is spent constantly doing re-vision. I thanks my teachers for teaching me the importance of it.

For me the inattentive fogginess just makes me feel sleepy the longer I try to prolong focus on something that brain don't wanna focus on, and the motivation to exercise or any physical movement is very low. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue once, following pneumonia but the thing is I hardly noticed the difference.

Some days I can be completely inattentive and on another day it's completely hyper. Then it's one hour of one and another hour of another. And then they're both combined. I think it's got something to do with PMDD (my severe pms). It does crazy things to my hormones and I have a few days of being hyper and then go completely inattentive. Usually I think the symptoms are all experienced at the same time. Or I could blame the full moon or the solar storms but then I'd look like a crazy person.