ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-25-18, 09:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,170 Times in 882 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Does Dr. Barkley think that ADHD-PI is a separate disorder?

M
Old 01-25-18, 09:58 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road
Re: Does Dr. Barkley think that ADHD-PI is a separate disorder?

No, he thinks part of people diagnosed with ADHD-PI are in fact SCT.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
The Following User Says Thank You to Fluppets For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Barkley [4] has suggested that the inattention (ADHD-I) subtype may represent a separate distinct disorder, with more prob- lems with selective attention, sluggishness and memory retrieval, as well as problems with maths, language and reading.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

M
Old 01-25-18, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Evidence supports the view that CDD (SCT) is distinct from ADHD and not a subtype of it. But the two conditions can overlap in nearly half of all cases of each.

http://www.peterraabe.ca/docs/SCT_Barkley.pdf
If Dr. Barkley thinks that half the people with ADHD, also have SCT.

Then how many people does Dr. Barkley think are diagnosed with ADHD-PI, do not have SCT?

M
Old 01-25-18, 12:05 PM

Thanked 25,561 Times in 11,907 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

M
Separate from what? I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Barkley says that all ADHD is the same disorder, it just presents with different
symptoms from person to person, or from time to time.

He also says he thinks there is another disorder that is separate from ADHD
that is currently being called SCT that is being mistaken for ADHD-PI.

Quote:
This link doesn't work for me???

Quote:
If Dr. Barkley thinks that half the people with ADHD, also have SCT.

Then how many people does Dr. Barkley think are diagnosed with ADHD-PI, do not have SCT?

M
Logically that would mean that a little over half of those diagnosed with ADHD-PI
don't have SCT.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 12:10 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Logically that would mean that a little over half of those diagnosed with ADHD-PI don't have SCT.
That could be true, but there are many other ways to consider the math breakdown which lead to other conclusions.

So in truth, we have no way to know.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 12:18 PM

Quote:

This link doesn't work for me???

Quote:
Barkley [4] has suggested that the inattention (ADHD-I) subtype may represent a separate distinct disorder, with more prob- lems with selective attention, sluggishness and memory retrieval, as well as problems with maths, language and reading.
4. Barkley RA. ADHD and the nature of self control. New York: Guilford, 1997.

M
Old 01-25-18, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Logically that would mean that a little over half of those diagnosed with ADHD-PI
don't have SCT.
How do you come to this conclusion?

M
Old 01-25-18, 12:22 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
4. Barkley RA. ADHD and the nature of self control. New York: Guilford, 1997.

M
I just get "Error ... failed to load PDF document"

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 01-25-18, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
That could be true, but there are many other ways to consider the math breakdown which lead to other conclusions.

So in truth, we have no way to know.

Cheers,
Ian
I was thinking very basically. A little less than half and a little more than half
equals the total sum.

But I suppose you might consider that some who have been diagnosed with
ADHD-PI are misdiagnosed and have another disorder or even something like
thyroid imbalance.

Old 01-25-18, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I was thinking very basically. A little less than half and a little more than half
equals the total sum.

But I suppose you might consider that some who have been diagnosed with
ADHD-PI are misdiagnosed and have another disorder or even something like
thyroid imbalance.
Dr. Barkley is saying half of all people with ADHD have SCT.

If I assume* that half the people diagnosed with ADHD, are diagnosed with ADHD-PI.

Then that would mean all people who are diagnosed with ADHD-PI, have SCT.

(*i am over assuming half of people diagnosed with ADHD, are diagnosed with ADHD-PI because I cannot find any statistics on the subject)

(assuming that at least half of all other people diagnosed with ADHD, are diagnosed with ADHD-C and ADHD-PH/I)

M
Old 01-25-18, 12:46 PM

aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dr. Barkley is saying half of all people with ADHD have SCT.

If I assume* that half the people diagnosed with ADHD are diagnosed with ADHD-PI.

Then that would mean all people who are diagnosed with ADHD-PI, have SCT.
Even allowing your assumption, there are myriad conclusions to reach, yours being but one of them.

Consider...half of all people with ADHD have SCT...half of all people with ADHD are ADHD-PI...and this would mean no people with ADHD-PI would have SCT, because all the people with ADHD-C and ADHD-H do. (not likely)

Or you could split each group down the middle...or 90/10...or any way you can imagine.

Based on the original premise, there is no single correct conclusion.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Even allowing your assumption, there are myriad conclusions to reach, yours being but one of them.

Consider...half of all people with ADHD have SCT...half of all people with ADHD are ADHD-PI...and this would mean no people with ADHD-PI would have SCT, because all the people with ADHD-C and ADHD-H do. (not likely)

Or you could split each group down the middle...or 90/10...or any way you can imagine.

Based on the original premise, there is no single correct conclusion.

Cheers,
Ian
SCT is supposedly misdiagnosed ADHD-PI, not misdiagnosed ADHD-C or misdiagnosed ADHD-PH/I.

SCT supposedly has no hyperactive symptoms.

M
Old 01-25-18, 01:00 PM

Quote:
SCT is supposedly misdiagnosed ADHD-PI, not misdiagnosed ADHD-C or misdiagnosed ADHD-PH/I.
Right...supposedly...but we do not know for sure...so what I said applies.

There are a number of potential conclusions depending on your N sample (some more or less likely), division of types within the population, and how you slice the pie.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 01-25-18, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Right...supposedly...but we do not know for sure...so what I said applies.

There are a number of potential conclusions depending on your N sample (some more or less likely), division of types within the population, and how you slice the pie.

Cheers,
Ian

SCT is a semantically confusing theory, and I find it offensive when people tell me I have two separate disorders.

To me it is like saying ADHD-PI and ADHD-PH/I are two separate disorders, which is untrue.

M