ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-18, 05:06 PM

Chadjt3 is on a distinguished road
Question Would you say feeling overwhelmed is a contributing symptom to your ADD?

Since I've been treated I often look back to my old self and reflect on the differences.

A big difference that came to my mind this afternoon was how overwhelmed I use to get when things I needed to do seemed too far out of reach and unmanageable. It got to a point of procrastination that I felt the word collapsing around me. I would literally curse the world and myself with hate, and cringe at the thoughts of my short comings. It was as if I was a frog in a pot of boiling water wanting to jump out at my work, but I'd stay and sit and the hot water took me over. I would seek a friend and talk doom and gloom for hours or even days. It was the brink of a mental breakdown if not it. The outcome was odtene giving up or giving in, and the sad thing was giving up did occour in such a manner that my life aspirations and well being were truly effected.

In the almost year of working on myself and taking medication, I have realized that this often occurrence is absent in my life. Furthermore when comparing it to other factors, it seems to be the number one contributing factor of my ADD's effect in my life.

Have any of you felt this same way?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-28-18), stef (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,029 Times in 13,127 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you say feeling overwhelmed is a contributing symptom to your ADD?

yes
I had really no idea how overwhelmed I was, every single day. I have been diagnosed for almost a year and it changed my life.
it makes me sad to think about it now.
Old 09-26-18, 08:19 PM

Thanked 10,771 Times in 5,800 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I just don't know how to fix it..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-18, 04:56 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say feeling overwhelm IS A MAJOR SYMPTOM OF MY ADD!!!

I can get over whelmed even on medications. I have so many things I need to do I don't know where to begin. I have to make a list of priorities each day - the trick is there can only be three things in the list. Any more than that then the list itself overwhelms me.

Medications help me figure out what actually need to be on the list - Today it was request withdraw of my retirement and apply for part time work. I not only applied I scheduled an interview. I was going to do it yesterday but discovered my computer mouse grew legs - so yesterday it was buy a mouse, rebuild a cat feeding station and take hubby to get truck. Oddly enough take hubby to pick up truck turned out to be the hardest task - only because there was a wreck. At least it was not due to my ADD!!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-28-18), Rebelyell (09-27-18), shaunG (09-28-18), stef (09-28-18)
Old 09-28-18, 03:43 PM

Chadjt3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post

I can get over whelmed even on medications. I have so many things I need to do I don't know where to begin. I have to make a list of priorities each day - the trick is there can only be three things in the list. Any more than that then the list itself overwhelms me.

Medications help me figure out what actually need to be on the list - Today it was request withdraw of my retirement and apply for part time work. I not only applied I scheduled an interview. I was going to do it yesterday but discovered my computer mouse grew legs - so yesterday it was buy a mouse, rebuild a cat feeding station and take hubby to get truck. Oddly enough take hubby to pick up truck turned out to be the hardest task - only because there was a wreck. At least it was not due to my ADD!!!
That's great! And I can relate to the list part. I'm a list maker too and when I make my next day into robot functions meds or not I'll freak out.

Enjoy your retirment!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (10-01-18)
Old 09-28-18, 04:40 PM
Jr Member

shaunG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjt3 View Post
Since I've been treated I often look back to my old self and reflect on the differences.

A big difference that came to my mind this afternoon was how overwhelmed I use to get when things I needed to do seemed too far out of reach and unmanageable. It got to a point of procrastination that I felt the word collapsing around me. I would literally curse the world and myself with hate, and cringe at the thoughts of my short comings. It was as if I was a frog in a pot of boiling water wanting to jump out at my work, but I'd stay and sit and the hot water took me over. I would seek a friend and talk doom and gloom for hours or even days. It was the brink of a mental breakdown if not it. The outcome was odtene giving up or giving in, and the sad thing was giving up did occour in such a manner that my life aspirations and well being were truly effected.

In the almost year of working on myself and taking medication, I have realized that this often occurrence is absent in my life. Furthermore when comparing it to other factors, it seems to be the number one contributing factor of my ADD's effect in my life.

Especially with large jobs like cleaning my basement/man cave which is a trainwreck about every three months. I'm overwhelmed by it and avoid dealing with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunG For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (09-28-18)
Old 09-28-18, 04:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjt3 View Post

Yeah, for sure. It's like, you almost don't let yourself feel good, or don't feel you deserve to feel good, and you fall in a worse and worse funk. Up until about a week ago I really felt like I was coming "unglued". Worrying about my daughter's ADHD and moods was stressing me out more and more, as did the constant feeling that I needed to take deep breaths and feeling unable to, to the point where it was turning into depression and I wasn't enjoying anything anymore. Even my therapy just seemed to reveal an insurmountable obstacle, instead of filling me with hope for improvement.

A couple of things seem to have turned it around:
- I stopped goofing off and worrying about my home and personal life at work. I don't think I realized how much this was hurting my self esteem, the feeling that I wasn't performing like I used to. Getting a few major projects completed or closer to completion gave me a big boost.
- I thought about my medications and talked to my doctor. He recommended boosting my Olanzapine by a bit to help me feel less "unglued". I had done some research and he concurred that Zyprexa is used for depression too, especially with a component of severe anxiety.
- I paid more attention to my kids, instead of getting irritated at them and then obsessing about whether I'd messed up again afterwards. In general focused more on home life, and being kind to everyone.
- Tried to put less pressure on myself to be perfect, including in my spiritual practice, and just do what I could. Also, I need to face up to the fact that the breathing problems might be with me for a while, until I switch ADHD meds or get more of a handle on the anxiety and stress, and whatever is driving it. In such situations, you have to ask yourself, "if I feel like this the rest of my life, can I deal with that?" Not, "I can deal with this now, but only if it goes away eventually."

I also realized that maybe dredging up the past in therapy in hopes of squashing whatever demons were driving the inability to feel good might not be so constructive, but just a rabbit hole. I think boosting the Zyprexa a bit helped get me out of that rut. I think I was fooling myself in thinking I could get off of it, because I had titrated down to a really low dose, and thinking back, it seems the downward spiral started when I started that process. I don't think I'll go all the way back up at all, but maybe halfway there is the "goldilocks zone" where I feel alert but not unhinged.

Anyways, I see the doc Monday night and talk therapist Sunday, and will keep y'all posted.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (09-28-18), Lunacie (09-28-18)
Old 09-28-18, 06:29 PM

Thanked 10,771 Times in 5,800 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your retirement Meade!!
Old 09-28-18, 07:06 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,068 Times in 7,247 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting overwhelmed easily is one of my biggest issues. This leads to anxiety, brain fog and tiredness. Then I get more overwhelmed and it self-perpetuates.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (09-28-18), Lunacie (09-28-18)
Old 09-28-18, 08:22 PM

Thanked 25,916 Times in 12,088 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post

I totally agree that the ADHD causes the feeling of being overwhelmed,
not that getting overwhelmed causes ADHD symptoms.

Sorry about the bad trip with the wreck. Wrecks and heavy traffic definitely
make me feel VERY overwhelmed.

Good luck with the part time job. I worked part time until I turned 65.
I would have kept working but my back has been so much worse since I was
in a car crash 3 years ago. It was time to get Medicare to find out what all
was wrong with my back and what could be done.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (10-01-18)