ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 10-05-18, 03:08 PM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Hyperactive=dopamine deficiency, inattentive=noradrenaline deficiency?

I've found this post from a blog called Primarily Inattentive ADD: "The Best Medicine for Inattentive ADHD"
Shortly, according to the article: Ritalin isn't a good choice for inattentives because methylphenidate increases predominantly dopamine and increases norad. lesser. Conversely, amphetamines increases norad more than dopa. And strattera works better for inattentive type because it is a selective norad. reuptake inhibitor.
I think Barkley is right. I was diagnosed 3 months ago. At first days I was prescribed 10 mg ritalin+300mg wellbutrin. Ritalin worked only for a few days. Now I' taking 40 mg ritalin(almost I feel no effect or side effect)+80 mg strattera.I take strattera every day and ritalin only some days. Strattera works good(not very) for focus.
I've never tried adderall or vyvanse. As I know amphetamine drugs are banned in europe. I don't know if amph. can be prescribed in Turkey.
What do you think? Do you think inattentive type need noradrenaline more than dopamine?

Last edited by namazu; 10-05-18 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Replaced link to commercial website (not permitted) with print-friendly version.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-05-18)
Old 10-05-18, 03:38 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,068 Times in 7,247 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hyperactive=dopamine deficiency, inattentive=noradrenaline deficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
What do you think? Do you think inattentive type need noradrenaline more than dopamine?
Iím not certain itís that simple because you need dopamine to produce noradrenaline.

Phenylalanine → Tyrosine → L-DOPA → Dopamine → Norepinephrine

The direct precursor of norepinephrine/noradrenaline is dopamine.
Old 10-05-18, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Iím not certain itís that simple because you need dopamine to produce noradrenaline.

Phenylalanine → Tyrosine → L-DOPA → Dopamine → Norepinephrine

The direct precursor of norepinephrine/noradrenaline is dopamine.
Yes,of course it can't be so simple. Maybe there's a problem in converting dopamine to noradrenaline. And as i know strattera prolongs noradrenaline's effect time by inhibiting noradrenaline reuptake. I mean atomoxetine provides a noradrenaline molecule to do it's mission for longer time.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-18, 04:38 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes,of course it can't be so simple. Maybe there's a problem in converting dopamine to noradrenaline. And as i know strattera prolongs noradrenaline's effect time by inhibiting noradrenaline reuptake. I mean atomoxetine provides a noradrenaline molecule to do it's mission for longer time.
Absolutely, and some inattentives do well with it while others don’t. I’m inattentive and it made me feel terrible. I think perhaps because I may have an over production of noradrenaline. I’ve suffered from anxiety, debilitating panic attacks and OCD.

Adderall has helped me the most. It has improved focus and concentration and significantly reduced anxiety, ocd and I haven’t had a panic attack since.

I’m just saying, I believe it’s complicated and we can’t label inattentives as necessarily having a noradrenaline deficiency or a problem converting dopamine. I think the over production of noradrenaline is what makes me inattentive. My racing mind and anxiety keep me paralyzed from attentiveness.
Old 10-05-18, 05:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
I think Barkley is right.
Barkley normally is right! But are you sure that you have no hyperactive symptoms? Many ADHD adults are not physically hyperactive, but they are instead mentally hyperactive/restless.

Also, I think the difference between mph and amp is primarily that mph is a reuptake inhibitor for dopamine and norepinephrine, whereas amp is both a releasing agent and a reuptake inhibitor.
Old 10-06-18, 06:23 AM

[quote=CharlesH;2007994]But are you sure that you have no hyperactive symptoms? Many ADHD adults are not physically hyperactive, but they are instead mentally hyperactive/restless.
Why did you ask if i'm hyper or not? I have almost all of the dsm 5 inattentiveness symptoms. I have also impulsivity symptoms below.
-Often fidgets with or taps hands or feet or squirms in seat
-Often blurts out an answer before a question has been completed (e.g., completes peopleís
sentences; cannot wait for turn in conversation).
-Impulse-buying on internet
But I don't have other hyperactivity-impusivity symptoms (like on the go, climbing, excessive talking).
Old 10-06-18, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Absolutely, and some inattentives do well with it while others donít. Iím inattentive and it made me feel terrible. I think perhaps because I may have an over production of noradrenaline. Iíve suffered from anxiety, debilitating panic attacks and OCD.

Adderall has helped me the most. It has improved focus and concentration and significantly reduced anxiety, ocd and I havenít had a panic attack since.

Iím just saying, I believe itís complicated and we canít label inattentives as necessarily having a noradrenaline deficiency or a problem converting dopamine. I think the over production of noradrenaline is what makes me inattentive. My racing mind and anxiety keep me paralyzed from attentiveness.
Have you ever tried methylphenidate? Which was better for you?
Old 10-06-18, 07:49 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Have you ever tried methylphenidate? Which was better for you?
I tried it for a short time and didnít respond too well. Adderall has been the best for me. Iíve also tried Vyvanse and Dextroamphetamine.
Old 10-06-18, 04:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Why did you ask if i'm hyper or not?
Since sometimes adults will think they are ADHD-PI when in reality that are more like ADHD-combined. Anyway, you know yourself better than I do!

Let me know if you're ever able to test out your theory! I do still suspect that the difference between MPH and AMP is primarily about reuptake vs release, rather than dopamine vs norepinephrine.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-06-18)
Old 10-06-18, 05:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,916 Times in 12,088 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Since sometimes adults will think they are ADHD-PI when in reality that are more like ADHD-combined. Anyway, you know yourself better than I do!

Let me know if you're ever able to test out your theory! I do still suspect that the difference between MPH and AMP is primarily about reuptake vs release, rather than dopamine vs norepinephrine.

I don't think I have any of the hyperactivity traits, but I have most of the
impulsivity traits. And most or all of the inattentive traits. Pretty sure that
makes me "combined type."

added: I've never tried Ritalin, Adderall, Welbutrin, or Strattera.
I found by accident that Omega 3 works well for me.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (10-06-18)
Old 10-09-18, 01:10 AM
Jr Member

Hodgo77 is on a distinguished road

So I would say I'm also PI-ADHD and I've tried Vyvanse, Ritalin, Dexamfetamine and now Strattera. Early stages now on Strattera and too tired to see if it's making any difference. Although focus seems to be improving.

However the other drugs all caused my anxiety to increase tenfold and panic attacks were a daily occurance. I only used Vyvanse, Ritalin, Dexamfetamine for a maximum of a week then I had to get off them.

Funnily enough Vyvanse, Ritalin, Dexamfetamine didn't seem to just last the 6 hours that was advertised, for example even if I took a Vyvanse at 6:00am I was still buzzing at 9:00pm - (13 hours later). These drugs just didn't seem to wear off. Only after about 3 days at the end of these week trials did I return to "normal".
Old 10-10-18, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo77 View Post
So I would say I'm also PI-ADHD and I've tried Vyvanse, Ritalin, Dexamfetamine and now Strattera. Early stages now on Strattera and too tired to see if it's making any difference. Although focus seems to be improving.

However the other drugs all caused my anxiety to increase tenfold and panic attacks were a daily occurance. I only used Vyvanse, Ritalin, Dexamfetamine for a maximum of a week then I had to get off them.

Funnily enough Vyvanse, Ritalin, Dexamfetamine didn't seem to just last the 6 hours that was advertised, for example even if I took a Vyvanse at 6:00am I was still buzzing at 9:00pm - (13 hours later). These drugs just didn't seem to wear off. Only after about 3 days at the end of these week trials did I return to "normal".
Which drug worked best for focus, concentration? What do you mean 'buzzing'? Do you mean adverse effects (sleeplessness, heart problems, etc)?