ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 10-09-18, 11:26 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future
ADHD boost Parkinson's risk

Not trying to scare anyone but ADHD & Parkinson's disease share a link.Apparently both of these illnesses effect the dopamine pathways in the central nervous system. Parkinson's disease starts 20-50 years after the initial ADHD diagnosis in those who develop both diseases. I knew it, I just hate being right about this.As I have Parkinson's myself!

https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/news/...y-parkinsons#1

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...dication-story
Old 10-09-18, 02:21 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,590 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD boost Parkinson's risk

Quote:
What's more, among "those ADHD patients who had a record of being treated with amphetamine-like drugs -- especially Ritalin [methylphenidate] -- the risk dramatically increased, to between eight- to nine-fold," said senior study author Glen Hanson.
I do not like this at all. I want to see the study and see if its peer reviewed. I want to see if the scientific community supports this or if its one person. I would want to see their study participant samples and if there is an appropriate control group.
Are they saying amphetamines are ok and only amphetamine like drugs are bad? Or do they mean amphetamines as well?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (10-13-18)
Old 10-09-18, 10:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,304 Times in 5,517 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do not like this at all. I want to see the study and see if its peer reviewed. I want to see if the scientific community supports this or if its one person. I would want to see their study participant samples and if there is an appropriate control group.
Are they saying amphetamines are ok and only amphetamine like drugs are bad? Or do they mean amphetamines as well?
Any possible link between ADHD patients and use of psychostimulant medications with Parkinson’s disease is “not causation… We don’t know that the relationship we observed is caused by the [ADHD] treatment,” Curtin said. “It would take further study.”

“It could be the people that end up being prescribed for ADHD, their condition is just more severe, and it’s the more severe ADHD itself that is predisposing the brain to Parkinson’s-like disorders,” said Curtin. “I don’t want to, at this point, blame the medication [for the development of Parkinson’s].”

No genetic association between attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and Parkinson's disease in nine ADHD candidate SNPs.
Geissler JM1; International Parkinson Disease Genomics Consortium members, Romanos M2, Gerlach M2, Berg D3,4,5, Schulte C3,4.
Collaborators (127)

Author information

Abstract
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and Parkinson's disease (PD) involve pathological changes in brain structures such as the basal ganglia, which are essential for the control of motor and cognitive behavior and impulsivity. The cause of ADHD and PD remains unknown, but there is increasing evidence that both seem to result from a complicated interplay of genetic and environmental factors affecting numerous cellular processes and brain regions. To explore the possibility of common genetic pathways within the respective pathophysiologies, nine ADHD candidate single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in seven genes were tested for association with PD in 5333 cases and 12,019 healthy controls: one variant, respectively, in the genes coding for synaptosomal-associated protein 25 k (SNAP25), the dopamine (DA) transporter (SLC6A3; DAT1), DA receptor D4 (DRD4), serotonin receptor 1B (HTR1B), tryptophan hydroxylase 2 (TPH2), the norepinephrine transporter SLC6A2 and three SNPs in cadherin 13 (CDH13). Information was extracted from a recent meta-analysis of five genome-wide association studies, in which 7,689,524 SNPs in European samples were successfully imputed. No significant association was observed after correction for multiple testing. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that candidate variants implicated in the pathogenesis of ADHD do not play a substantial role in PD.
KEYWORDS:
ADHD; CDH13; Dopamine transporter; GWAS; Parkinson’s disease; SNPs

oher info

their is a known genetic condition with a psychiatric phenotype with about 95% presenting with adhd

the same genotype also is known to cause a Parkinson like tremor ataxia In the peoples 50s and 60s
Hyperman87 (10-13-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-18, 02:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,080 Times in 12,169 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there's also a "risk" of having both ADHD and ASD ...
or both ADHD and Bipolar.

I would call it a "link" instead of a "risk" at this point.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (10-13-18)
Old 10-10-18, 03:07 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Considering they're already starting to do studies on the MTHFR gene mutation and it's correlation with both ADHD and Parkinson's, along with lots of other ailments, illnesses, and conditions... Unfortunately I don't find this that surprising.
Hyperman87 (10-13-18)
Old 10-13-18, 02:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Yeah I just figure I'd throw this out there.In some of the articles the meds for ADHD are blamed as a potential cause(I don't like that one bit,as I think ADHD itself is a cause.) Ritalin is sometimes used to treat Parkinson's disease https://www.michaeljfox.org/foundati...p?grant_id=344

But anyway it is interesting. Not everyone with ADHD needs to worry about this, only those of us who go on to develop Parkinson's like symptoms.
Lunacie (10-13-18)
Old 10-20-18, 07:52 AM
Contributor

Adenosine has a spectacular aura aboutAdenosine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Hmm. From what I've read, methylphenidate usually shows less neurotoxicity than amphetamine in animal studies, so when I read "especially Ritalin", my first thought is the Parkinson's link probably comes from something other than the drugs. I even saw one study where methylphendiate appeared to protect against the dopamine damage from large doses of meth.

Then again, there's a limit to how much you can generalize between different species. But as they pointed out, both ADHD and Parkinson's disease involve dopamine-related pathology. That could very well explain the correlation. I haven't researched their methodology, but it doesn't feel like they're rushing to claim causation.

On the other hand, I can't definitively prove there isn't some risk from long-term stimulant use, in which case... it's something I worry about from time to time, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather increase my risk of Parkinson's later in life than deal with unmedicated ADHD for 30-40 more years. I currently have three diagnoses: ADHD, autism, and Tourette syndrome, and if I could wave my finger and cure one of them, it would be ADHD. Hands down.

The autism is a persistent soup of isolation and obsessive tendencies, but I've gotten a decent number of friends at this point, and the obsessive tendencies can be useful at times. Witness: the sixth-grader who's memorized the location of every health upgrade in Majora's Mask and the name of almost every Pokémon (at the time) by heart. That doesn't sound like much, but applied to school? Repetitive interest is a powerful thing. Not without downsides, but... you know what makes repetitive interests and reading harder to control? I'm holding up four letters, and they're why I take Vyvanse.

Everyone has different symptoms, but for me personally, the worst thing about autism is that it's probably connected to my ADHD on some level. I don't know if it directly "caused" it, but the comorbidity rates speak for themselves. Nonetheless, if I could choose between eliminating my social issues and my issues with executive functioning... I'd rather be able to organize myself like a normal person (without stimulants) than look more like one. And this is coming from someone who currently has three A's and one B+ this semester in college, with an overall GPA well above 3.0.

As for the Tourette syndrome? I used to feel guilty and self-conscious about my tics, but in the end, they're not dangerous. They just look weird. I've had people comment on them from time to time, and I suspect they're a little off-putting, but if I fit in perfectly, I wouldn't have autism. I've been working on my posture and body language lately, but I've made peace with a certain underlying awkwardness. There are ways to work around it.

The only mental issues I've experienced that I hated half as much as ADHD were a handful of nasty, prolonged depressive episodes. Except... in retrospect, each and every one of them had roots in the ADHD-induced fatigue and confusion. Sometimes it was the symptoms themselves, sometimes it was my guilt over them, and sometimes it was both. But one way or another, the ADHD always contributed. And most major depressive episodes eventually self-terminate, even without treatment. Thus far, the ADHD endures. It is the enemy I face every morning, even when I take Vyvanse. It's why 7-8 hours of sleep and regular aerobic exercise are necessities for me instead of options. It's why I can't blow a couple of hours looking at Facebook without paying a price for it. When you already struggle with attention and vigilance, those negative but commonplace blows to attention can spiral out of control very quickly. It's almost like a chronic, minor concussion. Heck, it probably does come from head injures, in some cases.

If I'm lucky, it might go away in a decade or two, but I'm not holding my breath. Until then? I'll take my chances with the stimulants. They're not the only item necessary to combat it — exercise, proper sleep, general daily organization — but they're probably the single most individually effective one, and they make the other steps easier to implement.

That said, some people have a lot milder ADHD than me, so I understand if they don't view it as an enemy in the same way.

Wow. Long post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adenosine For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-20-18), namazu (10-20-18)