ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-18, 03:21 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,925 Times in 698 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Sleeping with a podcast on..

For many years I have gone asleep while listening to a podcast or a documentary.

At first, it was a great finding. It helps me quiet my mind and fall asleep within minutes. Even if I don't fall asleep, I can listen to some fascinating stories.

But I also noticed (quite long ago) that I have become dependent on it and it interferes with my sleep. And I think that bits of silence in my day are good. A few months ago I discovered that I am actually trying to fill in all silent or otherwise empty moments with something to keep me from thinking too much or feeling. I was actually very successful at this, but the effect was that I started to lose my sense of self.

I've been trying to quit this habit for a while, and now it's time that I do this. It's just a small step forward and it won't revolutionize my life, but I need to do this at one point and I have procrastinated long enough. So let's do this now. I am ready to face the silence.

Anyone else have notice a similar pattern? Or is this just me?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
PI-ADHD 29 (10-10-18)
Old 10-10-18, 03:48 PM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping with a podcast on..

Good determination! I also turn on a political discussion program or documentary on tv when i go to sleep for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 04:09 PM
Forum Guru

Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

Failed at this miserably during most nights. On one night I had a (non-romantic) friend who visited me, so I couldn't listen music. I slept very well.

I just feel very uncomfortable with the silence, with encountering all my thoughts. However, I am ready to open myself up for this discomfort.

1. I think this silence is good for me. It can me help process my day. They say that during silent moments, you get thought-patterns that help develop a cohesive self-image.

2. I don't want to be dependent on a stimulus like this one, especially because I can't do it when I sleep with a girl, and being uncomfortable during such a night is not good at all - so I'd better get used to sleeping silently in bed.

3. The silence destroys my night's rest, because when I wake up I need to listen to it again, and I find it interesting so I try to stay awake. This leads to sleepiness during the day, and potential problems and discomfort as a result.

4. I don't want to have such a strong bond with technology, that I even allow it in my bed.

5. I get good ideas in the silence (under the shower, while walking, and I used to get them in bed before I did this).

6. I want to teach myself that there's nothing wrong with discomfort. This is a good way to do that.

7. I think dependence on constant noise and stimulation can destroy the ability of the brain to focus, and I think that silence can restore this. I want to train my focus muscles as much as I can and if something works I am willing to implement it, because my quality of life improves when I am able to focus.

And finally, some things I will do to accomplish this:

i. meditate before sleeping, using the Headspace app.

ii. banning the phone from my bed (including for i).

iii. yoga before bed. not every day, but it's part of my exercise routine anyways.

iv. reading in bed, I used to do this a lot as a kid and I have fond memories of this

v. track this goal on my habit forming app

So, I rest my case. No matter what, tonight I will embrace the silence! I may fail every now and then, but I will keep trying until I get rid of this bad habit. I know that I have the perseverence to pull this off, I never give up, even if it takes me decades to make a change I will still pursue it. I have already proven this in multiple areas. Fortunately, I can make changes a lot faster now, not years or decades, but in weeks or months!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-18, 04:05 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Hey Jacksper

I can feel you. Its really the same here, common ground.
Im afraid of silence, because if i get used to the silence while trying or already sleeping im suddenly waking up to the sound that occurs. And its gotten worse since weve got 3 cats. I love them kittens but during night they sometimes overactive in playing

Anyway, so i started out years ago sleeping with ear foam, that helped me a lot. Then i began like 1 - 1.5 hours before i go to bed watching youtube videos. In this duration i fade away and wake up again. Thats when i turn off YT and plug in my ear foam. I ended up always listening with my bluetooth earphones to something whenever i can throughout the day.

My docotor told me its a typical aspergers thing. Then ive got my diagnosis after.
Maybe i could help you by telling you that youre not the only one. Just go on YT and look how much videos there are for search tags like boring documentary or boring podcast, theres even a channel where a guy with a boring voice makes boring podcasts by chat about random stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 09:38 AM
Forum Guru

Thanks for your reply Vrantic! Interesting to know that I am not alone in this!

How do you do this now? Do you still listen to something before sleeping, or did you quit?

I did not listen to anything tonight and my sleep quality was much better, even though I woke up like five times. I feel much more rested. So, I will accept the silence again tonight and (while I am at it) I will try to not use my laptop/phone while in bed (and instead I will read before going to bed and after waking up if I feel like it).

I find it extremely interesting to see how you can change habits - get rid of the bad ones (also interesting how they develop), and learn good ones. And it feels good to be able to make such positive changes
Old 10-25-18, 02:03 PM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Hey Jacksper

Im glad you could try to sleep one night with it and have a good experience by doing so!

If you feel anxious again with silence try like i do and listen to it until you nap in BUT you need to tell yourself to wake up if you ever nap in. So your body reminds not to sleep for hours while still wearing earpods. The important thing is to have everything done when you listening. So that can just put it off and fall asleep.