ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Research
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Research Current medical research projects from not-for-profit organizations may be found in this forum. Posts in this section require Forums Staff Approval

Old 06-17-18, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,500 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
I've been asked to write an article for a therapists magazine

Hi All

I've been asked to write an article for a therapists magazine about working with Adult ADHD clients.

What would you like to tell a counsellor/psychotherapist about

1) Spotting ADHD - not the DSM criteria.... but the red flags that aren't in the DSM.... those things that should make the therapist sit up and start to think ADHD might be in the picture.

2) What is the most important thing you'd like a talk therapist to know when working with an ADDer?

3) What do you really NOT want from a talk therapist.... personal horror stories welcome!

4) What has made the biggest difference for you... even if it wasn't talk therapy related.

The focus of the article is to try to get therapists to think outside the DSM box.... so that they can spot the undiagnosed ADDer and also take account of ADHD in therapy.

Thanks

kilted

PS I'm doing the article as a favour at short notice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (06-17-18), Fraser_0762 (06-17-18)
Old 06-19-18, 05:50 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,707 Times in 10,417 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I've been asked to write an article for a therapists magazine

Moderator note: This request has been reviewed and approved by ADDF Admin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (08-20-18), Andi (06-20-18), peripatetic (06-19-18)
Old 06-19-18, 06:19 PM

Thanked 34,062 Times in 15,423 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post
Hi All

I've been asked to write an article for a therapists magazine about working with Adult ADHD clients.

What would you like to tell a counsellor/psychotherapist about

1) Spotting ADHD - not the DSM criteria.... but the red flags that aren't in the DSM.... those things that should make the therapist sit up and start to think ADHD might be in the picture.

• less eye contact because wandering gaze
  • forgetting where you're going in mid sentence
  • sometimes i talk in a circle and ultimately come back to what i was talking about initially if given enough time
  • interrupting/finishing others' sentences
  • not having a key item, e.g. bringing a notebook to take notes and forgetting a writing instrument
  • needing to repeat multiple step instructions or go step by step instead of telling me five steps, tell me one, let me write it down or talk about it, then the second, etc.

2) What is the most important thing you'd like a talk therapist to know when working with an ADDer?

that if you don't send me an email recap of our conversation, i'm not going to remember it. sending a follow up email with "today we discussed you doing xyz and then making an appointment for timeframe lmn...etc" is HUGELY beneficial to me, and though you are discussing talk therapy, this is true for my psychiatrist as well, especially if there are medication changes.

3) What do you really NOT want from a talk therapist.... personal horror stories welcome!

i don't want any of your positive psychology ********. finding something to be grateful for when my world is collapsing around me basically tells me you lack empathy. you might have some sympathy...but you're not really here on the same level i am trying to understand me, you're just trying to make yourself feel better about things.

also, don't try to deal with my meds...that's what my psychiatrist is for. i don't need a second opinion or input. i know it's not good that my ADHD is currently unmedicated, but i want to not have a psychotic break (another one) so i MUST work out other meds first. i'm not keen on having medication discussions with therapists in general. stick to helping me figure out how to live the life where i am now, in light of what's happening now. i'm well aware that my ADHD problem is one that demands and responds well to medication, but that simply isn't where the rest of my mental illness is and i have to prioritise that. THAT SAID, don't discount my ADHD simply because it's not the most pressing of the three diagnoses i have and recognise that all of them overlap and interplay to make my life miserable at times.

4) What has made the biggest difference for you... even if it wasn't talk therapy related.

with respect to ADHD, the biggest leaps have been with occupational therapists and working out routines and how to build them. i'm still working on that, but OT has given me an amount of hope that i can do this, especially since i'm currently unmedicated for ADHD.

The focus of the article is to try to get therapists to think outside the DSM box.... so that they can spot the undiagnosed ADDer and also take account of ADHD in therapy.

Thanks

kilted

PS I'm doing the article as a favour at short notice
hope that helps and let me know if you have follow up questions. x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Andi (06-20-18), namazu (06-19-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-18, 06:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

A few more things for spotting it:
fidgettiness-- rapid foot tapping

often pale/sweaty
very often late- because left too late to get here, or got lost on the way
failed to bring needed items like questionnaires
Found reading the questionnaires overwhelming (goes back to the eye issue)
disorganised
carrying way too many personal belongings- often screwed up into a massive backpack
forgets to see the receptionist on the way out to fix up the account

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 08-20-18, 11:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,448 Times in 15,033 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

For diagnosing.. Hyperactivity can develop and become worse as an adult even if you did not have it as a kid (IME)...hyperactivity can be both mental and physical.
For treating: DO no tell me to exercise more, I get it, endorphins are good.

I carried a watermelon?