ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-01-18, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,982 Times in 2,051 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: How do cope with work life balance

You said you used to do better when you were on meds, did karate, and had kids at home.

I think you've already found things that are proven to work for you so you should do them again.

can't bring the kids home again but you can do an exercise you love and take medication. Maybe kids can be substituted with quality time with your husband in a way that makes you feel needed and loved.

Whatever you try, give it a month and see if it works for you, if it doesn't, reassess and try something else.

I wasn't good at work/life balance. So, I retired early and now I don't have to balance work/life. And it is absolutely fantastic. Not everyone has this option though but you probably can cut some tasks out of your life if you think hard enough. Like if you had a condo, you don't have to take care of a yard. You can hire someone to help clean, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (11-02-18)
Old 11-01-18, 01:10 PM

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,500 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working with my therapist around how to let go of things I don't have the energy to do.

It's a combination of living with ADHD and also the realisation I don't have the energy to do the things I used to do. I think living with undiagnosed & unmedicated ADHD has resulted in a kind of burnout, from which I need to recover.

This means taking rest, letting go of stuff, saying no to people, not taking on more projects etc...

In short it is about developing a sustainable life......even if that is annoyingly bare of the things I'd previously thought important.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-01-18), Rebelyell (11-02-18), tudorose (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18, 03:22 AM

Thanked 5,039 Times in 2,192 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
You said you used to do better when you were on meds, did karate, and had kids at home.

I think you've already found things that are proven to work for you so you should do them again.
Yeah life was manageable one day then bang life over. Did a blood donation that I never recovered from and then was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. So my ability to take meds - gone. Causes too much pain. And my coping strategy of exercise - gone. I can't live like that anymore.
Old 11-02-18, 03:24 AM

tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post
I'm working with my therapist around how to let go of things I don't have the energy to do.

It's a combination of living with ADHD and also the realisation I don't have the energy to do the things I used to do. I think living with undiagnosed & unmedicated ADHD has resulted in a kind of burnout, from which I need to recover.

This means taking rest, letting go of stuff, saying no to people, not taking on more projects etc...

In short it is about developing a sustainable life......even if that is annoyingly bare of the things I'd previously thought important.
Cheers Kilted. Sounds a bit like minimalism. Lots to consider here
Old 11-02-18, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
you probably can cut some tasks out of your life if you think hard enough. Like if you had a condo, you don't have to take care of a yard. You can hire someone to help clean, etc.
Some good points here cheers for this
acdc01 (11-13-18)