ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-18, 06:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,289 Times in 13,958 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Building my switch

I can't think of a title for this post. I want something snappy and memorable because I've made a dozen similar threads and a dozen plans but nothing ever sticks. At the same time I'm guessing this is the wrong approach anyway. I can't rely on a snappy motto or a snappy something that will suddenly switch me into healthy mode. I need it desperately though. I need that switch. However, after forty years I've realised it doesn't exist. I need to do it myself. I need to build my switch myself. I'm going to start slowly and easily:

1. No more added sugar. I've done it before. I can do it again. I need to do it because it's either no added sugar or three solid meals of sugar a day.

2. Take meds first thing after waking up

3. Drink 8 glasses of water.

4. Take omega three and multivitamin supplement

That's it. I might add more stuff next week if I can go for one week with these.

I realise that I'm.basicallg using the same approach as I always have done but I genuinely can't think of anything else.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-03-18), namazu (11-01-18), psychopathetic (11-01-18), stef (11-01-18), tudorose (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 07:30 AM

Thanked 21,487 Times in 11,522 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Building my switch

No sugar, no breads, no dairy. It doesn't leave you with much except the smallest size of jeans.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-01-18), Fuzzy12 (11-01-18), Greyhound1 (11-03-18), psychopathetic (11-01-18), stef (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 08:00 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
No sugar, no breads, no dairy. It doesn't leave you with much except the smallest size of jeans.
No bread and no dairy is extremely difficult.

The reason why it leaves you with the smallest of jeans sizes is because there'd very little left to eat especially if you eat as muchjunk as I do. So that would be perfect for me..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-01-18), psychopathetic (11-01-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-18, 01:37 PM

Thanked 3,981 Times in 2,050 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
That's how I do it too. Well, I have sugar and dairy lol. But if there was something I really couldn't keep myself from avoiding, I would definitely cut it out of my diet and not keep any of it in my house.

Does that work for you Fuzz, to keep all those things out of your house?

I also noticed Little Missy eating a lot of avacados. I used to think they were expensive but I'm amazing how filling just one is even. It can keep you from eating too much more I think.

I also still like Namazu's idea of the pill dispenser that has an alarm.

Mottos never work for me either. Changing my environment does.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-03-18)
Old 11-02-18, 09:10 AM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,048 Times in 2,501 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein, and low carb...def no added sugar. That's what I have tried, some success but can be difficult to stick with in the long run. I also plateaued on it and just can't lose more. I saw a guy on the Dr. Oz show that eats @5000 calories once a day, before going to bed even and lost a ton of weight. I don't get it. Dr Oz didn't get it but those that have followed his lead, have lost weight. Look it up, it's amazing. Still too scared to do it. Especially since I can have GERD issues and eating before bed can make things worse for me.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-03-18)
Old 11-02-18, 03:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

5000 calories a day is way too much! I just don't believe it. A fast metabolism helps, but that would be something you are born with (or not...that's most people). I keep sugar down and once you get used to it's easy (at least, for me), no HFCS allowed, and often only eat twice a day. I've tried veggie/fruit/other healthy stuff smoothies in the past and would like to go back to that...do enough that I can freeze all except the one I consume that day, then take out one each day to eat. I'm not trying to lose weight, just to be healthier.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-03-18)
Old 11-02-18, 07:26 PM

Thanked 5,039 Times in 2,192 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I find it helpful to look at what you can eat rather than what you can't.

Have a look at SB's thread and you'll see the basis for his diet is fat.

I've found a good way to adapt to consuming higher amounts of fat without feeling nauseous is to add more fat to your existing meals. Eg if you're still eating mashed potato the reduce the potatoes and add more butter / cream.

Add more oil to your salads. And avocado. Start getting your body used to more fat gradually and then you'll find you need less carbs.
Fuzzy12 (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 06:07 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,271 Times in 8,601 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Other items of concern which may be helpful:

1. magnesium. Preferably applied on the skin in the form of Mg chloride.
2. Turmeric, very good for lots of things.
3. Coconut butter to be ingested in good quantities. It can replace butter for putting on bread and also for cooking instead of other oils.
4. Replace modern wheats by other grains such as spelt.
5. Vitamin D3 in fairly large amounts combined with K2 (essential combo) to get your Calcium system stabilized and working properly. Must be combined with Mg supplementation as in item 1.
6. Please stop using fluoride toothpaste! Its a neurotoxin.
Fuzzy12 (11-03-18), Little Missy (11-04-18)
Old 11-03-18, 08:01 PM

Thanks guys for the ideas. So far, I've just gone off sugar. It's day two now and so far so good. We've still got lots of Halloween candy and cake (both or which I meant to take into work but of course I forgot), which is a constant temptation but so far I've been able to resist.

I haven't been able to take my meds or vits and I'm probably not drinking enough water but I'm drinking lots of tea, though I'm not sure if that counts. Actually, i could take.my vits right now. ..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 11:44 PM

Thanked 5,039 Times in 2,192 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good start Fuzzy!
Fuzzy12 (11-04-18)
Old 11-04-18, 07:38 PM

Thanks Tudor. So far so good. Day three (or four?) Of no added sugar and it's definitely a million times easier already. I still have moments where I think **** it all..I want cake!! But they aren't that difficult to deal with.

What's more interesting is that it's actually so much less stressful. Im so relieved that this is a battle that I don't have to fight constantly anymore, you know? I spend so much of energy and emotion trying to decide whether to stuff my face with something sweet or not that now I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I still eat way too much of carbs. Mainly bread, rice and potatoes. I'm not sure I believe entirely in low carb high fat diets though I've seen personally anecdotal evidence that you can lose a lot of weight on them and feel relatively fit. There was an article though recently by the head of something (some British medical body) warning against the recent promotion of high fat, high saturated fat or high cholesterol diets. Ignore me. I don't really remember much of what he said..

I definitely should eat more avodaxo though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (11-05-18)
Old 11-04-18, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
That's how I do it too. Well, I have sugar and dairy lol. But if there was something I really couldn't keep myself from avoiding, I would definitely cut it out of my diet and not keep any of it in my house.

Does that work for you Fuzz, to keep all those things out of your house?

I also noticed Little Missy eating a lot of avacados. I used to think they were expensive but I'm amazing how filling just one is even. It can keep you from eating too much more I think.

I also still like Namazu's idea of the pill dispenser that has an alarm.

Mottos never work for me either. Changing my environment does.
Yes, definitely changing my environment seems to have the best results. That and being abstinent from stuff.

I'm not keen on taking my tablets out of their strip packaging. I'd be too scared to lose some or drop the on the floor. i think the problem is mostly that I don't like taking my meds so when I do remember I procrastinate getting them thinking it's not worth the trip.
Old 11-04-18, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein, and low carb...def no added sugar. That's what I have tried, some success but can be difficult to stick with in the long run. I also plateaued on it and just can't lose more. I saw a guy on the Dr. Oz show that eats @5000 calories once a day, before going to bed even and lost a ton of weight. I don't get it. Dr Oz didn't get it but those that have followed his lead, have lost weight. Look it up, it's amazing. Still too scared to do it. Especially since I can have GERD issues and eating before bed can make things worse for me.
Do you mean intermittent fasting?
Old 11-04-18, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
5000 calories a day is way too much! I just don't believe it. A fast metabolism helps, but that would be something you are born with (or not...that's most people). I keep sugar down and once you get used to it's easy (at least, for me), no HFCS allowed, and often only eat twice a day. I've tried veggie/fruit/other healthy stuff smoothies in the past and would like to go back to that...do enough that I can freeze all except the one I consume that day, then take out one each day to eat. I'm not trying to lose weight, just to be healthier.
What's hfcs? High fat, calories snacks? (Random guess
Old 11-04-18, 10:09 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,211 Times in 7,323 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
What's hfcs? High fat, calories snacks? (Random guess
High Fructose Corn Syrup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-05-18)