ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 01-08-08, 06:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

umami will become famous soon enough
Strattera, Insomnia, ADs... oh my!

Hi everyone,

Hopefully you're doin' well (or at least a lot better than I have been last week). i'm still recovering from my first (ever) drug-induced undifferentiated psychotic episode i had last week that my pdoc (and I) believe can be attributed to strattera's effect on my sleep; strattera prevented me from sleeping.

Due to the cumulative effects of severe sleep deprivation over about 3 weeks, I was not in good shape. Now that I have quit taking strattera and returned to my adderall-only routine, the hallucinations, insomnia, incoherence, and flat affect are gone.

However, this experience left me with a question regarding the concept of "activating drugs" or rather, drugs that might activate/worsen/cause symptoms that resemble another disorder: in my case schizophrenia or bipolar.

Interestingly, after doing some research on SNRIs (i.e. strattera) /SSRIs (i.e. prozac), I discovered they are notorious causing insomnia and other bipolar-like symptoms in people who are in a "gray zone" between Unipolar and Bipolar Depression on the mood continuum.

According to my pdoc, I don't fit the criteria for bipolar, unipolar depression, or schizophrenia. However, I was certifiably psychotic last week and withdrawing strattera (in the absence of another intervention) resolved the symptoms/signs. Notice, I'm not saying that anyone else should stop taking a med their pdoc has prescribed.

However, My advice to anyone taking ANY psychotropic/CNS-acting drug is to:

1. pay attention to what your body is telling you

2. be your own advocate. stay informed about what you are taking & why

3. communicate with your pdoc effectively: if this means writing out what you're experiencing before your appointment, then so be it. if you and your pdoc cannot communicate effectively, then find another pdoc, otherwise a lot of problems can result!

Best of luck you guys who are sticking with strattera (and to everyone else, I suppose). Just watch out for yourself and for your health because no one else will.

-umami

The controversy of anti-depressants' effect in "Bipolar Disorder."
http://www.psycheducation.org/bipolar/controversy.htm

How to work with physicians pragmatically (and ultimately obtain better care):
http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/doctalk.htm

Good evidence-based info, site maintained by a pdoc:
http://www.psycheducation.org/
Old 01-09-08, 01:15 AM
Contributor

Sargon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Strattera, Insomnia, ADs... oh my!

I tried Straterra. After about 4 sleepless nights, I decided I'd had enough!

Doctor Seuss Haiku