ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 02-02-08, 04:14 PM

Greenplasticme is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Strattera similar to the muscle relaxer Flexeril?

Here's the question.

Is Strattera, which operates as a Noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor, similar in any way to Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine)?

Link to Strattera:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomoxetine

Link to Flexeril:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclobenzaprine

If you didn't feel like checking the links or see the connection, Strattera acts as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor -- resulting in more norepinephrine in your system. Flexeril causes your body to produce more norepinephrine, which i guess is similer.

I know the way they work, the compounds and what they do are different, but can they achieve similar results for the same problem?

Here's a link to norepinephrine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine

The reason I'm curious about this is because... and bear with me I'm not sure how long this will take to explain...

I was in an ATV accident about 2 and a half months ago. I was knocked unconscious and I spent nearly 2 days in the hospital, and I only remember the second day.

After the accident I was put on some pain pills (Vicodin) and muscle a muscle relaxer (flexeril) for back/neck/shoulder pain, partial lung collapse, bruised hip -- junk like that.

Anyhoo -- I noticed that for about a week I felt the most clear I had felt in my life. I was able to focus, plan, and follow through with all the things I put off or overwhelmed me. At first I thought the accident just knocked everything in my head back to the way it should be but it wore off when I stopped taking the 2 meds due to sleep problems and... well I'm sure you know how narcotic pain medications make you feel.

I was really disappointed when the "clear" feeling went away, so I started taking the flexeril again but it never really did anything and I only had a 2 week supply to begin with. I had been toying around with getting help for the ADD but I had been putting it off since it will have a lasting impact on my current career, but that taste of what it was like to be "normal"... I was so devastated.

Now I'm on Ritalin, and it really works in a couple of ways. When I take Ritalin it feels like I did when I was having a good day with no meds, but it feels nothing like I did after the accident, and that's what I really wanted to feel like again.

I'll post the rest in the general medication forum. Just have some general questions on strattera vs ritalin, and if you can mix the two.
Old 02-02-08, 04:17 PM

Greenplasticme is on a distinguished road
Re: Strattera similar to the muscle relaxer Flexeril?

Crap -- I didn't mean to put the exclamation sign next to my post -- I'd remove it but I don't think I can.