ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 03-18-08, 09:28 PM

seva is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Stick with Strattera or try something else?

Well, I just got put on Strattera by my doc. There are some things I like about it and some things I don't.

PROS:

- Less anxiety, more relaxed attitude
- No more constant daydreaming
- No more racing thoughts
- Not as distracted
- No more leg twitching
- I'm not eating as much (I used to eat compulsively, even when I wasn't really hungry)

CONS:

- I get about 1 or 2 hours of sleep every night
- Mild chest pain
- Mild nausea
- Mild testicular pain (kind of feels like I just got kicked there)
- I feel even less motivated than usual.
- I get really dizzy sometimes
- Everyone I know says I look sad (I'm not, though)
- I feel really tired all the time, but I can't/don't want to sleep
- I feel apathetic towards everything
- I'm a little more irritable and rude to people
- Severe constipation
- Some people have described me as "zombie-like" or "emotionless"

Now, it's only been five days and for the moment I'm on 18mgs. I'm going to get started on 40mgs next week and then 60mg the following week. The cons are mostly managable, and both my doctor and the people on the strattera board say that things get better as you continue to take it. But I also see people on this board who have taken strattera for several months who continue with more or less the same lethargy, irritability and zombie-like state of mind. I also find that it only treats some of the ADD-related problems I have while others have gone completely untreated gotten even worse.

Now again, I understand that I just started and these things take time and that there's no such thing as a magical cure all pill, but I feel that Strattera does not treat what I feel is really my problem with ADD. Namely, my lack of concentration and motivation in school. I've always leaned towards using an amphetamine based drug, because I always hear stories on here (and elsewhere) about people using stuff like dexedrine or adderall and becoming energetic, voracious reading/writing machines and that's precisely what I want!

However, I don't know how I feel about going on an amphetamine because I know they can cause side effects that are just as bad if not worse than strattera and plus they're addictive, which strattera is not. But I was wondering if perhaps mixing strattera with low doses of stimulant drugs would be beneficial. I think I've read about people doing this with good results and I wanted to know what you all think.

I recently talked to my doctor about this situation and he told me to stay on strattera for three weeks and see how it all works out, but if it doesn't meet my expectations (which is what I'm predicting), then he'll put me on pretty much anything I want.

tl;dr: Should I stick with strattera and wait it out, mix strattera with an amphetamine, or go on a straight amphetamine?
Old 03-19-08, 09:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Destracted_UK will become famous soon enough
Re: Stick with Strattera or try something else?

I would stick with it.

I have been taking it for 3 weeks now. As many have said in this section, the side effects can go as fast as they started. I still have side effects but see that as part of the process. I think the idea is that you have try and stick it out for 6 weeks and then decide, as I understand it needs to build up in your body.

I was zombie-like for a few days, then that went... but I wouldnt be surprised if that came back again while I get up to 60mg. I am up to 50mg at the moment.

I also read somewhere that when you first get medicated you become abit withdrawn because you are able to think clearly for the first time and become reflective. This definately happened to me.

So yeh, I would try and stick it out now you have started it. It might well be that it is not right for you, reading posts on here shows that there are some that try it and it just doesnt benefit, or the side effects are just too much. However you might be lucky.

Oh, I should add that my motivation and organisation picked up massively after the 2 week. I've been rather amazed by that!!

Good luck with what you decide to do : )
Old 03-19-08, 09:15 PM

addallie is on a distinguished road

I currently take 18 mg of Concerta 2x's a day and 18mg of Strattera in the morning. The hope is to wean off the Concerta or keep it at low dose and up the Strattera. I was on 25 of Strattera but was a little agitated so we lowered it. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

Overall I don't find Stattera to be all that great to treat my motivation, etc. However, I do find that I can focus and concentrate much better when I take that with my dexedrine.

I would ask your doctor about putting you on both meds. While I would say that dexedrine is the 'better' of my two ADHD meds, I really need both to be on top of things.
Old 03-22-08, 04:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

samm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko74 View Post
Overall I don't find Stattera to be all that great to treat my motivation, etc. However, I do find that I can focus and concentrate much better when I take that with my dexedrine.

I would ask your doctor about putting you on both meds. While I would say that dexedrine is the 'better' of my two ADHD meds, I really need both to be on top of things.
I'm currently on my 4th week of strattera, and i'm at 80mgs. It really sucks for me because it makes me so sleepy and does little to help me focus. I was thinking about telling my doctor to switch me once and for all.

Why is that you say you need both? What benefits does strattera give you that dexedrine doesn't?
Old 03-23-08, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

chsguy88 will become famous soon enough

Drop it while your ahead... After ending up in 2 inpatient rehabilitaion facilities due to suicidal feelings and cutting (which started shortly after starting Chantix, and ended shortly after stopping Chantix), I was taken off of 40mg Adderall XR + 20mg Adderall IR, and put on Strattera. Started out at 50mg, then went to 80mg, then ended at 120mg. I was always told, just give it time blah blah blah, its so much better everthing is controlled 24/7 no ups and downs... Needless to say, after giving it a whole 4 months, maybe a little more, I called my psychiatrist and said I refuse to refill the Strattera, and if she wouldnt prescribe me the medication I need to controll my ADHD she needed to refer me to someone that would, and pronto. I work at a calling center, and every day at work is a struggle.... I'm really good with medication complience, so not taking it on schedule wasnt the cause of its ineffectivness. Anyways, she said to taper down the dosage, and to call tommorow to make an apt. with my therapist, and she would drop in during that session to write a script for something else. Ever since stopping the adderall, i've gotten fired from a job, gotten 3 speeding tickets, had to pay hundreds of dollars in missed psych appointments, etc. This NEVER happened on adderall. You dont know how good your disability is undercontrol until you get switched to a medication that doesnt do anything the old used to.
(75mg effexor XR) (50mg vyvanse) (10mg dexedrine 3x a day) (10mg ambien) (2mg ativan) (2mg terazosin)

Past Meds:
Adderall, Adderall XR, Focalin, Focalin XR, Ritalin, Strattera, Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Wellbuturin SR, Lunesta, Remeron, Rozerem, Trazodone, Chantix, Naltrexone, Klonopin, Neurontin, Vistaril
Old 04-02-08, 07:43 PM

seva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
I'm currently on my 4th week of strattera, and i'm at 80mgs. It really sucks for me because it makes me so sleepy and does little to help me focus. I was thinking about telling my doctor to switch me once and for all.

Why is that you say you need both? What benefits does strattera give you that dexedrine doesn't?

Well, I've been on it for almost three weeks now and I've moved up to 60mg. Most of the effects that I mentioned in my previous post (both positive and negative) have almost completely subsided and even when it was working, I did not feel that it was all that great for my ADD.

To answer your question, my psych told me it is also used as an off label medication for depression, which I hear is pretty common with amphetamines, and since I didn't experience any truly adverse effects with strattera, I thought it would be alright to use them in combination. I've never heard of any contraindications with NRIs and amphetamines. Of course, if there is, I'm sure my psych will tell me.