ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 03-21-08, 11:28 AM
Jr Member

Levah is on a distinguished road
My strattera experience..

Hello everyone, I just recently started Strattera three days ago. I was switched from Adderall XR 20mg to Strattera 40mg for three days then 80mgs for 30 days. Reason I switched is because the Adderall was making me anxious, restless, upset about little things and generally always anti-social if you want to call it that. Now back to my Strattera expericence. First day was good, I was very very calm, but I did things as I planned and I did it. Second day however, it sucked. I was very very tired and I didn't do a damn thing at all that day. I was so tired I couldn't even function at work properly, so I had to go inside and sleep which I did at noon and laid there till about 5'oclock. On top of that, I had a got a cold that's just kicking my rear. The second day is when I started getting this pounding head aches. These headaches are just unbelievable. I know i've read something along the lines in these forums about other occurring this symptom, but it's gradually gone away. How long does it usually last for it deters away for good?My biggest concern is the strattera is making me really drowsy and I don't want to do a damn thing. Is this normal for most people? Anyways, I am just looking for some feed back from what others have experienced and what I could do.
Old 03-21-08, 11:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,559 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future
Re: My strattera experience..

I had a similar experience when I started Straterra in Fall 2004. Very calm in the beginning during the initial low dasae. Once I went to 60mg I experienced chills, shakes, headache for about 3-4 hours. I went home from work and rested the remaining day.

Now I take 120mg a day; one 60mg at 7 am, the 2nd at 1 pm. For me the effects of the drug wear off. I don't get drowsy at all. In fact, I find it difficult to sleep at night, and still feel very active during the day.

The only side effect I have noticed is occasional (1-2 / week) headache, usually in the afternoon about 4-5pm.
Old 03-21-08, 12:27 PM

bebeto is on a distinguished road

I had simialr side effects of sleepiness for the first 3 days (on 40mg), but went away. Now, I am on 60mg once a day and the sleepiness is back. But, it is helping me a lot in terms of memory and focus and I am able to do a lot more than what i used to.

At what time of the day do you take it? My pdoc said that Strattera can also be taken at night. So I took one last night and was not able to sleep much (just 4 hours), but still feel much active. Talk to do your doctor if you want can try taking it at night.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-08, 03:00 PM
Jr Member

I take it first thing in the morning when I wake up. I just feel like complete crap, don't want to do anything and all I want to do is sleep. There is only one good think I've noticed is that it makes me calm. Other then that, I am really tired, mad headaches and I can't really focus on anything for to long. I'll just wait and see what its like when i take the 80mg tomorrow. I hope it doesnt get worse
Old 03-21-08, 11:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

canukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the rough

Our doc who is very conservative and and adhd expert says to start low and go slow. So 40 mg seems high. With our 10 yo it was starting at 10 mg. I could expect things to be different for an adult but I wonder if 40 is high. Why not take it easy?
Old 03-22-08, 04:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

samm will become famous soon enough
Question Re: My strattera experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
I had a similar experience when I started Straterra in Fall 2004. Very calm in the beginning during the initial low dasae. Once I went to 60mg I experienced chills, shakes, headache for about 3-4 hours. I went home from work and rested the remaining day.

Now I take 120mg a day; one 60mg at 7 am, the 2nd at 1 pm. For me the effects of the drug wear off. I don't get drowsy at all. In fact, I find it difficult to sleep at night, and still feel very active during the day.

The only side effect I have noticed is occasional (1-2 / week) headache, usually in the afternoon about 4-5pm.
Does it work for you? I mean, does strattera make you focus better?

I've been taking it for about 4 weeks at 80mgs, and it only makes me slightly more focused, but that extra focus is useless to do my work because i'm always extremely sleepy and unmotivated.

Does this go away after a while and does Strattera ultimately give you the focus similar to adderall?

I'm gonna see my doc next week and i'm gonna tell him straight up that this sucks and is making it worse for me. I'm afraid hes gonna give me a higher dose instead of giving me something better like adderall. :/
Old 03-22-08, 12:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to behold

Months on 100mg. I take it first thing in the am. Not terribly drowsy. It doesn't semto help me cut back on hyperfocusing.
Old 03-22-08, 11:13 PM
Jr Member

Today i took the 80mg for the first time..woah...made me a complete zombie for several hours..I was complete out in my own world and didn't have an effing idea what was going on. I took a nice little hike out in the woods for several hours and after I came back from that I was fine. Just odd that for those several hours i was in my own little world everything was calm and nothing was going wrong.. I've give it a few more days and let you guys know what I experience with this.
Old 03-26-08, 02:46 PM
Jr Member

yea i think i am pretty much done taking the strattera for now. i am sick of these lingering headaches and i cant stand being tired all the time.. i nearly fall asleep in all my classes and these headaches are just ridiculous!
Old 03-26-08, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

samm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levah View Post
yea i think i am pretty much done taking the strattera for now. i am sick of these lingering headaches and i cant stand being tired all the time.. i nearly fall asleep in all my classes and these headaches are just ridiculous!
Be careful tho if your gonna stop taking it. The withdrawal effects can be worse than the side-effects of Strattera. Talk to your doctor about it and mention you'd like to try a different med but you've read that since the withdrawal can be serious, that it may be wise to decrease the dosage first then completely come off it.

hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:
scarvalho (04-03-08)