ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-17-20, 02:49 AM

JavaRogers is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Tips/Suggestions for managing online classes?

So I'm on my 5th year at community college. What with our little bug that's going around the world recently, my college campus has closed down, and most of the classes have switched to meeting online & having online deliverables... It's basically turned into an educational nightmare for me.

I have tried online classes in the past, and they didn't work out. The problem is they are so disconnected from reality, so virtual, basically existing in outer space, and I need things to be grounded & have substance for me to remember them. And it's so easy for computers to fail to help.

Teachers have been turning more & more towards online teaching systems, right?, and it seems most instructors at least partially use them to teach their classes. The past 10 years, I have struggled to keep up with the times, but what with the state of the world recently this issue has become urgent for me.

I believe every mental lock has a key. What works for you? What kinds of cues do you use to remind you there's online stuff you need to work on?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JavaRogers For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-19-20), namazu (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 05:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,291 Times in 2,202 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Tips/Suggestions for managing online classes?

I'm sorry. This really does sound like a nightmare for an adhder

Study buddies always helped me. If you can find someone or multiple people to Skype with while you worked perhaps that can help. You guys could be available that way to ask questions and get help from each other?,

also, I actually never did all my homework. Each student in my study group would do one problem and then we'd all copy from one another. This put pressure on me to get my part done. I couldn't pay attention during school either so I got someone else's notes and then I passed school by reading their notes, skimming very briefly the textbook, really looking through the problem solutions other students provided me with. Made sure notes were from someone who did a good job taking them.

A set schedule for the hours of day you must study.

If the lessons are live and you can't pay attention, record them and playback whatever is needed.

Music helps some. Silence others. An absolutely empty room besides a desk and with all white walls actually makes a huge difference for me. Make sure your environment you study in is the most conducive for studying for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-19-20)