ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 12-05-07, 04:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Spongedaddy has a spectacular aura aboutSpongedaddy has a spectacular aura about
Dr. Bob's Guide to Stop ADHD in 18 Days???

Hi,

Our son has been having a lot of difficulty in first grade with his ADHD. We saw the book listed on Amazon with 40 review most of them positive. Has anyone heard of or used this book? We are trying to find alternatives first before we turn to meds.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-07, 05:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,807 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dr. Bob's Guide to Stop ADHD in 18 Days???

I haven't heard, or read it so I don't know. I do know that I am always wary of things that give timelines, or say that they "cure" ADHD. Sometimes it's just flashy wording to get people to buy the book, system, etc and they acknowledge that there isn't a cure. Sometimes it's bunk and going after people's hope that they can make it all go away. Just a word to the wise.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-17-17)
Old 12-05-07, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Spongedaddy has a spectacular aura aboutSpongedaddy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lark
I haven't heard, or read it so I don't know. I do know that I am always wary of things that give timelines, or say that they "cure" ADHD. Sometimes it's just flashy wording to get people to buy the book, system, etc and they acknowledge that there isn't a cure. Sometimes it's bunk and going after people's hope that they can make it all go away. Just a word to the wise.
I feel the same way. However, there were a lot of decent reviews on Amazon. We are kind of in the dark about diet and ADHD beyond the regular Omega, etc.
Old 12-05-07, 05:42 PM

4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about

it could just be the writer of the book or publishers and some of their friends or something writing false reviews that sound good. who knows?
Old 12-05-07, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

We're looking at it through the library first.
Old 12-05-07, 07:21 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

It kind of reminds me of "Lose 10 pounds in 3 days".
Old 12-05-07, 09:17 PM

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,807 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy
We're looking at it through the library first.
I was just going to suggest that. Or if you have a used book store in your area, that might be a good place to try, or offload it later if it's no good.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
Old 12-09-07, 04:20 AM
Banned

Bryanh30 will become famous soon enough

After you read it, please leave a review here for us. 18 days though... Let me just say here and now, I know this is stretching it, but there is no cure for ADD or ADHD. Maybe the content of the book is good.
Old 12-30-07, 11:33 PM

martysguy will become famous soon enough

sounds a bit like......

hmmmmmm.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Trudeau

- Drew Carey
Old 12-31-07, 01:28 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Crackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the rough

From what I've seen in the reviews, it looks like a sugar/dairy/gluten free diet, coupled with taking natural supps (fish/flax oil, vitamins, etc) and chiropractic adjustments (?!). Looking over his website he's got the same info along with links you can buy natural supplements and detox products (which you can also buy at your local Whole Foods/Vitamin Shoppe store).

Um.

I might look this over at a library or check one of the local bookstores to see if they have it in stock and read it in the store, but that's as far as I'd go. I think you'll get more out of Dr. Daniel Amen's Healing ADD book, which I highly recommend.

None of what Dr. Bob is writing about is new.

In terms of diet affecting ADD, I don't think it'd take a genius to know if you eat bad food you'll feel bad and if you eat healthier foods you'll feel better. That being said, I've seen a difference literally overnight (I've got inattentive ADD) after I changed my diet based of my physical trainer's (at the time) recommendations.

What I did was pay more attention to the acid/alkaline balance in food (In summary: try to eat meat, lots of veggies, and don't stuff yourself), dropped milk, high GI carbs, and most processed foods and bread. I noticed a big difference in my ability to think better, but it wasn't a "cure" by any means.

Same thing with supplements. I've noticed no difference with fish oil and vitamins (still take it for the overall health benefit, though). Phosphatidylserine has had a noticeable difference with my short term memory - I don't have to write things down anywhere near as much as I used to. Unfortunately, only the Vitamin Shoppe brand seems to work and they're having manufacturer issues with it so it hasn't been in the store for a few months now. Boo.

I've also had chiropractic adjustments and have absolutely no idea where ADD would fit into being treated by it.

Basically, save your $$ when it comes to this book.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

-- The Doctor, "Dr. Who: The Face of Evil (1977)

The Following User Says Thank You to Crackerjack For This Useful Post:
someothertime (07-19-17)
Old 12-31-07, 02:01 AM

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

You can get PS (phosphatidyl-Serine) from taking Lecithin too, right?
Old 12-31-07, 12:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Crackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the rough

According to what I just looked up, Lecithin has phosphatidylcholine, not serine.

Haven't tried any choline products, that I can think of anyway, so I might have to give this one a shot.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

-- The Doctor, "Dr. Who: The Face of Evil (1977)

Old 12-31-07, 12:57 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

we all know Amazon reviews are totally believable and unbiased and based on pure truth....

Old 07-14-17, 08:20 AM

ScrawL is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure but it's not a fake. Just not sure how effective it really is. The guy in this video explains everything in this video though.

https://youtu.be/dIzK5Of-2FQ
Old 07-16-17, 02:40 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,463 Times in 13,373 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrawL View Post
I'm not sure but it's not a fake. Just not sure how effective it really is. The guy in this video explains everything in this video though.

https://youtu.be/dIzK5Of-2FQ
He is full of crap. He blames adhd on transfat, holds up letters like Sesame street characters and promotes a book that is completely impossible.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.