ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-05, 05:52 PM

kidzrev is on a distinguished road
kidzrev-Wisconsin

Hi! Call me kidzrev or Michelle. I was officially diagnosed almost a year ago. (Although people that had just met me - strangers - would ask me if I had it) My doctor tried Wellbutrin, which I'd actually been on before, and it didn't really help. I figured most things were habit and what could the medicine do with that? (I'm 29) Well, in December, when personal issues and ADHD etc. caused us to leave the place where we were helping in a children's ministry, I finally gave in to what everyone was telling me and got a counselor. I had resisted because I'd had them in the past and been diagnosed with everything from depression to Bipolar disorder to anxiety d/o with borderline traits. (UGH) So my faith in the system and my faith in general had taken quite a beating through all this. But, thank God, my counselor is great. I also started Concerta almost 4 weeks ago. I have noticed some improvements. Some days I think I'm actually worse, but I'm noticing that those are also the times I drink alot of diet coke, etc. I'm addicted. Anybody else notice that? And who knows anything about how aspartame might interact? Does it?

Well, that's the bullet. Feel free to ask ?'s and I'm glad you all are here
Old 03-14-05, 09:01 PM
Forum Guru

sosninity will become famous soon enough
Welcome, Michelle! Diet Coke has a lot of caffeine, right?
I've been a little chocolate-loving lately, which has some caffeine.
I don't know about aspartame, except that my high school-age daughter gave up soda cold-turkey when they taught her about its evils in Health class.
Did you ask your Pharmacist?

I've had some really bad psychologist/psychiatrist experiences too.
But, like you, I reached the end of my rope. I could just not control myself, and it was going to cost me my job--just for blurting out the wrong things and being too creative at work (called 'unprofessional' by bosses, and, by teachers, 'impulsive').

Sometimes a little extra help can give us some feeling of being in control of our choices. One of my older daughters thinks taking medication is giving up free will. I agree with her. But if your free will is already compromised, maybe it's time to try something else. Like you, some days it just seems worse. But my Dr. explained that it can make you hyper-focused, which is not the same as OCD, because hyper-focused activities at least have an enjoyment component, whereas OCD activities are generally not fun and can even be destructive.

But I'm all new to this too. Maybe the Mods can point us toward the most likely discussions?
Old 03-14-05, 09:34 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,074 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Hi and welcome to the ADD Forums, Michelle!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Digitl has disabled reputation
Welcome to the forum,

Enjoy yourself

I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted. Where is he?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Old 03-15-05, 12:55 AM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to the forum Michelle. Good to have ya here.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 03-15-05, 08:38 AM

clawless has disabled reputation
Hello and welcome to the forum

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Old 03-16-05, 09:15 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
Welcome to the forums

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 06-22-05, 02:17 AM

kidzrev is on a distinguished road
Smile Hi again from Wisconsin

Hi again everyone...it's been a while I'm doing a lot better. Except for the fact that I'm really BORED. Lack of drama, I guess. I think normal is for people who just don't know there's more out there. :foot: I'll try to remember to check in more often.