ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-19, 12:21 PM

VV4838 is on a distinguished road
Pharmacy gave me Focalin in error not dex. I compulsively abused it.

First time posting. Ive been on 20-40 mg dex IR for over 1 year now. I typically have trouble making my script last 30 days & often go without that last week. But that's another issue. Here's my problem.

Pharmacy have me 40 mg Focalin IR instead of 40mg Dex IR. I questioned that the pills were different looking & they said it was a different brand. Ok by me. So I took my dose & they seemed to hit me hit me especially hard, but Ibfiguref itbwad because of the different brand. Similar boost in mood, motivation etc but when it wore off I'd redose beyond the prescribed amount for the day, much moreso than usual. I insufflated them. It hit me like it was cocaine. Made me manic. I was in a haze for 4 days. My judgment was way way off. The pharmacy called on day 2 & said they gave me Focalin in error, but it was a similar med. Ok. So I figured if its similar then I'll just keep it. No prob. I continued on my merry way all weekend. Cleaning, shopping & feeling very "up". But more intense. As soon as I felt a slight dip in my good mood I would compulsively redose. Then I went grocery shopping in my manic state & I got stopped for shoplifting because I had mistakenly had items under my coat & they said it was considered concealment. I've never been in trouble with the law and was mortified. The cops came but didnt arrest me, saying I'd receive a Municipal court summons. I went home mortified. Then on the 4th day pharmacy calls & asks me if I can return the erroneous meds. Egads! I've been blowing thru them. I brought whatever was left back to the pharmacy & confessed that I had a profound compulsive reaction to the Focalin. They called my dr who was very concerned about my cardiac health etc from taking high doses & made me get an EKG. Which was normal. Holy ****show Batman!!

My psychiatrist put me on a weekly pick up schedule at pharmacy for the remainder of the month. I meet with her in a few days & gotta explain my troublesome behavior. I also gotta get her to draft a letter for court which may serve as a defense as per my new $1500 lawyer.

Im hoping she'll continue my 40mg dex IR. But who the hell knows. Talk about a giant red flag.

Any words of reassurance would be most appreciated. I know I screwed up & got caught. But it'll teach me one hell of a lesson about not exceeding my daily dose. Pray for me😩😩😩
Old 01-11-19, 06:14 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,029 Times in 13,605 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pharmacy gave me Focalin in error not dex. I compulsively abused it.

I hope your psych keeps you on the meds that help you

Welcome to the forum as well

What's a muncipal court summons?
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 01-11-19, 07:00 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,581 Times in 7,752 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you shouldn't be taking abusable meds if you can't trust yourself not to abuse them.

I can see doubling a dose here and there as needed, but to be running out a whole week in advance, or slamming down the new meds you had...

It's abuse. I feel like you're VERY likely seeking more than these meds are suppose to provide you.

Sorry if I've upset anyone with being so blunt here.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-19, 07:45 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,819 Times in 10,477 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's a huge (and inexcusible) error on the part of the pharmacy! They could kill someone if they're that careless with meds.

It sounds like you also had trouble sticking to your prescribed dose of Dexedrine, but things got worse when they gave you Focalin -- is that correct?

Have you ever tried a nonstimulant ADHD med, or the long-acting versions of any stimulants?
Old 01-12-19, 05:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,762 Times in 15,185 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may need some addiction treatment. The fact that you snorted them is a huge red flag for me. The fact that you blew through that many and had the shop lifting thing happen is a huge red flag. One of the hallmarks of addiction is your life becoming unmanageable and suffering negative consequences. You have experienced that. The only way to stop addiction generally is abstinence from the problem substance.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-12-19)