ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 06-14-11, 11:26 AM

Lottie will become famous soon enough
emotional intelligence

If what I have read is true emotional quotient is a better measure of 'life success' than IQ, if one is in the normal range or above.

In the past I have always taken emotional intelligence to mean emotional wellness and happiness.

But I am beginning to suspect it is also-in some cases- the ability to manipulate circumstances and/or people to get what you want or to put your point across more effectively.Or perhaps EQ is the ability to read social situations and react appropriatly?

Working with young children is constantly fasinating because you see some children (it is more obvious in girls) manipulate each other and their teachers/parents to achieve thier goal- these are often not the kindest of children or the most gifted intellectally-but they appear to be sucessful-and, well presented and organised,.

Other children who are just happy to be and or easy to be around and others who are just super difficult to be with.

Im really intrested to hear other peoples ideas, experience and views on EQ.

Im also intrested what one can do to promote emotional intellignce in both adualts and children.

What exactly the definition of EQ??? and can we test it?

Thanks<!-- / message -->
Old 06-14-11, 12:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: emotional intelligence

Emotional intelligence is described by Salovey and Mayer as "the ability to perceive and express emotion accurately and adaptively (such as taking the perspective of others), to understand emotion and emotional knowledge (such as understanding the roles that emotions play in friendship and marriage) to use feelings to facilitate though (such as being in a positive mood, which is linked to creative thinking) and to manage emotions in oneself and others (such as being able to control one's anger)."

There is a test, called the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test, which measures perception, understanding, facilitating, and managing emotions. There are not many studies supporting any theories crafted using the test, however.
Lottie (06-14-11)
Old 06-14-11, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Brob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud of

In my experience most of the guys who make it to the very top of the income ladder, top investment bankers, etc., are quite happy in their lives. They are also usually narcissists who tend to be too shallow to allow for any reasonable degree of introspection and thus consider themselves successful, as do those they tend to surround themselves with. They would completely fail an EI test but are fulfilled within the narrow view of life they hold, and in the end I think a fulfilled life is 'life success' regardless of how shallow it may be. Low expectations=happiness for a lot of people!

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall
Nelson Mandela

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-11, 02:03 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i can be machiavellian manipulative sometimes in order to achieve something. but most of the time my emotions are neutral or in flux so i cant say.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-14-11, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I don't know about my emotional intelligence, but my social intelligence kind of sucks.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
Conman (06-14-11), sighduck (06-14-11)