ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 06-13-13, 03:20 AM

rainontheground has a spectacular aura aboutrainontheground has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Undiagnosed adult ADD, childhood ODD and emotional abuse. I just needed to post this.

Iím seriously thinking I have undiagnosed ADD. I didnít read up on ADD until this past Saturday.

I mean yes, it could be anxiety. But I donít remember having anxiety before college. Itís once I was on my own, and I realized I could NOT function as an adult. I kinda knew I couldnít, I always made so many goals, and never was able to complete them. But, at the same time I believed I could do them, but I just needed to figure out how to get started and how to stay on track.

I just figured I needed to work harder.

but it kept getting worse. Itís caused me to fail quite a few classes, drop out of school, and I was evicted from an apartmentÖ.. all because of procrastination. (I kept all that a bit quiet) I quit jobs easily, and I've moved quite a bit. I don't like staying in one place. I become bored easy.

I can never get started on anything. My mind jumps around constantly, and I always find myself doing random things, and I canít remember why or when I switched topics.

My therapist mentioned that she wasnít sure if it was attention or anxiety, but thatís after I read several posts on ADD, and then went into therapy thinking I could have it. So maybe I am hyping this up in my head. Up until that point she had been treating me for anxiety (no meds).

Plus I was emotional abused as a kid, so it makes sense for me to have anxiety. but I recall my mom and I CONSTANTLY fought.

I went through state care, so lots of therapists, etc, and they never diagnosed me as add or adhd. However, I wasnít hyperactive. I spend 4th-8th grade reading/watching tv... in class, whenever. I could sit still for hours. I was diagnosed with odd. I wonder if that caused the emotional abuse, or if the odd didn't exist, but my anger issues stemmed from the emotional abuse. Or if all this stemmed from ADD.

Sunday, yesterday, and today I (kinda--better than normal) followed a very strict schedule with an app that reminds me and beeps. Iíve done stuff that Iíve been putting off for months. My anxiety dropped dramatically as long as I was on track. Otherwise it feels like everything is happening at once, and everything is super important (because Iíve procrastinated) and I never know where to start, or how to change topics without going totally off track and ending up online.
Old 06-14-13, 07:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hypoactive has a spectacular aura aboutHypoactive has a spectacular aura about
Re: Undiagnosed adult ADD, childhood ODD and emotional abuse. I just needed to post t

i didn't even know i had ADD-PI until i was THIRTY -- and that was only after i noticed problems with my son and he was diagnosed as ADD-PI, and then realized i had the same exact symptoms and got evaluated myself.

those without hyperactivity aren't diagnosed nearly as often as those with hyperactivity, as they usually don't cause much disruption to teachers. however, many times, those with ADD-PI exhibit anger at home.

anxiety is extremely common in those with ADD-PI. and, since your anxiety diminishes when you are able to get things done, it is likely that you do have it. if your current strategy stops working for you, you should consider getting evaluated by a neuro-psychologist or a psychiatrist, as meds can work wonders for some people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hypoactive For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-15-13)
Old 06-15-13, 07:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Undiagnosed adult ADD, childhood ODD and emotional abuse. I just needed to post t

I was only diagnosed with ADHD PI last year at 47. I grew up in a dysfunctional family, I was neglected/emotionally abused by my mother, or whatever, not sure what the term is.
As a result I had always blamed everything on my upbringing. From the age of around 5 I always knew that I wasnīt quite right, and that I didnīt fit in. I suffered bulimia, self harm and was suicidal. My failures at school were blamed on the fact that my mother didnīt care whether I went or not.

Psychotherapy for 2 years helped me enormously in that I was able to accept myself as I was and stop all the self loathing, hatred etc.

Fast forward 37 years and my 2 teens were diagnosed. I learned what ADHD was and how I needed to help them and then realised I couldnīt help them because I was worse than they were. Things began to fall into place and I was diagnosed by a different doc.

I would guess all of your issues were put down to your upbringing and therefore ADHD was never considered. It is quite possible that you do have ADHD.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-13, 08:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

I can relate. In retrospect my symptoms didn't show up til middle school - for the most part. This coincided with my parents divorce and a big move. They chalked it up to that. Plus, it was the 1970s. Then Ive been fairly high functioning and didn't develop anxiety and depression until my early 30s which coincided with more life events. So I wasn't diagnosed until last month at the age of 47. And then everything fit together.

So I understand what you mean.
Old 06-15-13, 10:03 AM

Starter11 is on a distinguished road

Procrastination is part of inattentive ADD. Being behind in responsibilities and obligations leads to anxiety.

ODD does not always go away. I need to be aware of my tendency to enjoy defying authority, which also leads to anxiety.

Someone divided the human brain by heredity, Playful monkey, powerful horse, and viscious aligator. One of the three aspects of the human brain is in control, at any one time, or maybe combination of he types of brains we have.

//
Old 06-15-13, 02:06 PM

Ap49h44 is on a distinguished road

Could someone please explain what the PI abbreviation stands for?
Thanks.
Old 06-15-13, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

PI is a subtype as it stands now. Adhd PI is primarily inattentive. That is versus hyperactive vs combined. I think I am combined. Pdoc hasn't decided.
The Following User Says Thank You to janiew For This Useful Post:
Ap49h44 (06-15-13)
Old 06-15-13, 02:31 PM

Ap49h44 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for explaining.