ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-19, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Thinking outside the box:is it common in adhd?

I think outside the box usually in all my life. I mean i think in different ways in many situations, conversations. Sometimes i think too deeply, complex and i suppose other people can understand what i think. But many times people think or comment things just simply. And sometimes vice versa. So, too many times i'm misunderstood. I've lost many of my friends because of that. Or sometimes i'm seem as a fool, stupid man. I'm goodwill but i seem ill will by others many times. Sometimes i can make good jokes, but sometimes i can't sense jokes made by others quickly.
Are these familiar for anyone of you? Is thinking outside the box or thinking different ways common with adhd?
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now DHEA and concerta
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (01-11-19), soulsearcher (02-03-19)
Old 01-11-19, 06:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,136 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Thinking outside the box:is it common in adhd?

Yes, I've been told I am an outside the box thinker by others. To my advantage and to my detriment too sometimes.

Studies suggest we on average are more creative. This doesn't mean we are all more creative, just that "on average" we are more creative.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-more-creative

It only makes logical sense to me that we might be inclined this way. I mean "thinking outside the box" is just thinking differently. Why should we not be more likely to "think differently" when our brain is quite literally different than others?

Last edited by acdc01; 01-11-19 at 06:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
PI-ADHD 29 (01-12-19)
Old 01-11-19, 10:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,068 Times in 15,337 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think the phrase "thinking outside the box" is kinda overused imo. I think there are probably people in every type of mental disorders, illnesses and disabilities that say this about themselves. I like to think the same about myself when I decide to let my ego play but in reality I am probably no different than most people./

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PI-ADHD 29 (01-12-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-19, 12:58 PM

Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,136 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I looked back at your post again. While I stand by my earlier post still, I wonder if in addition to thinking outside the box, if you have some communication issues that can be solved and help you keep more friends.

Like if they aren't understanding you because you speak in long paragraphs while they speak in short sentences. This isn't actually about outside thinking, it's communications.

I tend to ramble myself irl sometimes and frankly even I wouldn't be able to understand myself when I do. We might never be perfect at it, but I do think we can get better at being more succinct speakers with practice and/or input from helpful, positive people.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
PI-ADHD 29 (01-12-19)
Old 01-12-19, 04:19 AM

Thanked 1,272 Times in 962 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I feel and think, inside the box and outside the box.

Between the box.

I think and feel, outside the box and inside the box.

M
PI-ADHD 29 (01-12-19)
Old 01-12-19, 09:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I looked back at your post again. While I stand by my earlier post still, I wonder if in addition to thinking outside the box, if you have some communication issues that can be solved and help you keep more friends.

Like if they aren't understanding you because you speak in long paragraphs while they speak in short sentences. This isn't actually about outside thinking, it's communications.

I tend to ramble myself irl sometimes and frankly even I wouldn't be able to understand myself when I do. We might never be perfect at it, but I do think we can get better at being more succinct speakers with practice and/or input from helpful, positive people.
Oh you also misunderstood me?Yes I've communication problems. I think maybe one of the cause(among many others) is 'thinking in different ways'. Normally in real life i speak shortly even maybe too shortly.
I wrote long here because my English isn't good enough. So i had to use synonyms of some words like 'fool-stupid'.
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now DHEA and concerta
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-23-19), mildadhd (01-13-19)
Old 01-12-19, 08:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda98 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda98 has a spectacular aura about

I think, through a long arduous journey of my own, that the key to thinking outside the box is knowing what the box is. thinking outside typically has nothing to do with communications but problem solving.

in communications, it's usually knowing the context behind the words this, that, those, these, they... typically a lot of T words. I wonder, how many other people with ADHD have had problems with T words.

an example of thinking outside the box is more academic/problem solving, drawing outside the lines if you well.

the 9 Dot Challanage is a really good example of thinking outside of the box.

. . .

. . .

. . .

connect all 9 dots with only using 4 lines. to do so, you must literally think outside the box. it can be done with 3 lines or how you frame the problem, 1 line. (if you blow up the dots, using just periods for the dots in this example).

another example is the 4 tree challenge. I haven't been able to do that one as of yet (gota look online for the instructions)
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda98 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-13-19)
Old 01-13-19, 04:47 AM

Thanked 1,272 Times in 962 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Thinking outside the circle?
Thinking outside the loop?
Thinking outside the sphere?

Example?

Astronauts think outside the sphere?

M?

Old 01-23-19, 05:01 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,225 Times in 997 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that to an extent it's a survival trait. For so many aspects of our lives, ADD makes it difficult to use the conventional approach to solve a problem. We HAVE to be creative problem solvers or we end up putting in far more effort into tasks than our non-ADD peers.

I think our brain's habit of jumping from topic to topic so quickly also leads us to connect and associate things our more linear thinkers would not. For instance, my brain might randomly jump to the traits of a species of insect (my son is majorly into learning about bugs right now) while I'm trying to think about discharge planning for someone, and somehow the two thoughts mesh into new courses of action that hadn't occurred to me before.

I also feel that associating things in new and interesting ways is our brain's way of staying engaged. "That solution is boring. What if we _____?"

Finally, I feel we are good at seeing associations or solutions others don't because so often in our daily life we have to fill in the gaps of the conversations we're trying to attend to. "Okay, they were talking about dinner plans, and now they're talking about a show they were watching today, so how did the conversation get from a to b?"

As with many things, there's rarely a one size fits all answer. I'm sure I could come up with other examples of how creative problem solving and thinking is a trait adapted from the challenges we experience, but I think I covered a good number :-)
Old 02-02-19, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Thinking outside the circle?
Thinking outside the loop?
Thinking outside the sphere?

Example?

Astronauts think outside the sphere?

M?

oddly enough, I think your close to identifying the box.

the box is like, imagine a king offering his entire kingdom if someone could answer the riddle of the boulder. "this boulder needs to be moved"

what is the answer? the answer is that the bounder is not a boulder but the representation of the boulder in the persons mind with the word this.

This is not a boulder said the pauper
Then what is it then? said the king

this is both me and you. the word "this" as the identifying clause is the universal object. this is me as well as this is you. this represents A posteriori knowledge rather than a postori (cold reason). (more on this in a second)

this represents the universal object, the world object,the house object, the community object, city object, the plan object, the thinking object (ya all of these aren't objects, you plan with your brain etc). you have to wrap your head around what this means to you mildadhd to represent representational thought with these. these places, these idea's, these people all belonging as a part of a group, something greater than oneself (the universe, the earth, etc...)

this represents my hopes and dreams, the things that that are mine and the organizations I am a part of are of importance to me, just like everyone (knowing or not).

it's somewhat a heirarchy of needs (need to relook at that) and it's somewhat closing the gestalt(however, one can still grow and I am. to see the forest and the tree's so to speak, and not just the forest for the trees. in plato's world of forms, closing the gestalt (which one can only do by looking inward) is only possible with A posteriori knowledge. by somewhat closing the inner gestalt you close the outer, you can see the forest for the tree's and water them, you can see the inner and outer tapestry. of what is and what isn't important, things that are really hard sometimes to understand any other way.
Old 02-03-19, 12:08 AM

Thanked 26,825 Times in 12,521 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda98 View Post
oddly enough, I think your close to identifying the box.

the box is like, imagine a king offering his entire kingdom if someone could answer the riddle of the boulder. "this boulder needs to be moved"

what is the answer? the answer is that the bounder is not a boulder but the representation of the boulder in the persons mind with the word this.

This is not a boulder said the pauper
Then what is it then? said the king

this is both me and you. the word "this" as the identifying clause is the universal object. this is me as well as this is you. this represents A posteriori knowledge rather than a postori (cold reason). (more on this in a second)

this represents the universal object, the world object,the house object, the community object, city object, the plan object, the thinking object (ya all of these aren't objects, you plan with your brain etc). you have to wrap your head around what this means to you mildadhd to represent representational thought with these. these places, these idea's, these people all belonging as a part of a group, something greater than oneself (the universe, the earth, etc...)

this represents my hopes and dreams, the things that that are mine and the organizations I am a part of are of importance to me, just like everyone (knowing or not).

it's somewhat a heirarchy of needs (need to relook at that) and it's somewhat closing the gestalt(however, one can still grow and I am. to see the forest and the tree's so to speak, and not just the forest for the trees. in plato's world of forms, closing the gestalt (which one can only do by looking inward) is only possible with A posteriori knowledge. by somewhat closing the inner gestalt you close the outer, you can see the forest for the tree's and water them, you can see the inner and outer tapestry. of what is and what isn't important, things that are really hard sometimes to understand any other way.
So ... semantics?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Drogheda98 (02-03-19)
Old 02-03-19, 07:21 AM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road

I think outside of the box for sure and also think to much and look into thinks in depth my first appointment with CAMHS

I managed to do the adult form and maxed that out but i went so indepth with the interview the guy was over 30 minutes late lol. so we never did the child form

also any job interview i have said that i think outside of the box I would say my way of thinking is different
Old 02-03-19, 03:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
So ... semantics?
in part ya. A priori and postpriori are really two different concepts under the umbrella of semantics.

the framework of a priori is (say someone has a hat) that is hat, it is red. a priori semantics is what is and not how it is used on a personal level. a priori is not existing in the mind prior to or independent of experience

Postpriori is the opposite. and all of postpriori statments hedge on the word *this* and understanding what the word *this* is to each person. "this" is really the representation of the mind of any individual, this is the universal object to us all and while this represents something in the outside world, the object in the outside world (or person, or device etc) is a representation of our own mind.

a priori statment would be (and I have to use something I own cause I tried to come up with an example of something I didn't and couldn't come up with a postpriori). that is a keyboard, it has keys and the color is black and white. cold and calculated with no real function other than it's an instrument.

a postriori statment would be the representation of the function of the thing based on our own values and skills etc..., our experience with the thing. "(just imagine I was pointing to a keyboard that is in reality in front of me) "this keyboard is used for the production of music, with this instrument I can transcend emotion and translate the emotion into harmony" post relagets the position of the mind to the object.

one is non creative just... what "that is", one is creative and is what "this is" anytime anyone uses the word "that" they are talking about stuff out in the world without a position in the mind, when someone says "what this is" they are talking about something that is in mind, something in frame of the pshyche.

like, Im taking a class and in the class my proffesor will put something on the board and says stuff like "this is a watermolecule....." he can say that because he has studied watermolecules and can describe the functions their withen.
Old 02-03-19, 03:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
So ... semantics?
in part ya. A priori and postpriori are really two different concepts under the umbrella of semantics.

the framework of a priori is (say someone has a hat) that is hat, it is red. a priori semantics is what is and not how it is used on a personal level. a priori is not existing in the mind prior to or independent of experience

Postpriori is the opposite. and all of postpriori statments hedge on the word *this* and understanding what the word *this* is to each person. "this" is really the representation of the mind of any individual, this is the universal object to us all and while this represents something in the outside world, the object in the outside world (or person, or device etc) is a representation of our own mind.

a priori statment would be (and I have to use something I own cause I tried to come up with an example of something I didn't and couldn't come up with a postpriori). that is a keyboard, it has keys and the color is black and white. cold and calculated with no real function other than it's an instrument.

a postriori statment would be the representation of the function of the thing based on our own values and skills etc..., our experience with the thing. "(just imagine I was pointing to a keyboard that is in reality in front of me) "this keyboard is used for the production of music, with this instrument I can transcend emotion and translate the emotion into harmony" post relagets the position of the mind to the object.

one is non creative just... what "that is", one is creative and is what "this is" anytime anyone uses the word "that" they are talking about stuff out in the world without a position in the mind, when someone says "what this is" they are talking about something that is in mind, something in frame of the pshyche.

like, Im taking a class and in the class my proffesor will put something on the board and says stuff like "this is a watermolecule....." he can say that because he has studied watermolecules and can describe the functions their withen. and he does so regardless of the prior container (the whiteboard)