ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-12-08, 01:19 AM

Dane D. is on a distinguished road
Advice about doctor visit

Hi. I've recently been figured out that I have a pretty severe case of ADD. I'm 27 and just recently began figuring this out but I'm self diagnosed and have my first visit with a family practice doctor coming up on Monday. I have a younger sister in Junior High that has struggled with ADD as well as an uncle and two cousins. I have tried a few of my sister's unused medications including Ritalin, Concerta, and Strattera with the approval of my mom to see if they were of any benifit to me. This was quite some time ago and I didn't notice much of a benefit at all. Recently a friend with ADD gave me some of her Vyvanse and it was a MASSIVE benifit. I felt like I would be able to actually function in society and accomplish things that I've been wanting to do for a long time but have been unable to because of my ADD. I have no health insurance so I'm not going to be able to afford the vyvanse. After all the research I've done it seems like Adderal IR is my best option for treatment. I'm concerned that my doctor will want me to try some of these other medications that have NOT worked for me first. So me question is should I share these trial experiences with my doctor when I see him about trying Adderal or would that make it less likely to get a prescription due to me trying someone elses prescription? I recently quit drinking but in the past I have used alcohol to self medicate. So that's a concern of mine also. It's somewhat important because I don't have the money to see a lot of doctors. My mom is coming with me and that should help. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-12-08, 06:11 AM

mithrilstar is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice about doctor visit

I would say definitely be honest. Tell your doctor that you tried the others, and they did nothing for you. Tell her that you do think, from all your research about it, that adderall sounds like it would really work for you, or at least be worth a try. That's what I did, and my doctor agreed with me. They do tend to frown on giving it to people with histories of substance abuse, so you might have trouble on that account, but that's the only thing I can think of. Tell her about all your problems and symptoms, and how it has negatively impacted your social, educational, and professional (employment) areas of your life. Like, for me, dropping out of college, getting fired 3 times, not having a social life until I was like 33, etc. Procrastination, lack of organization, distracted easily, forgetfulness, etc. Anything you can think of. But the most important thing is just to be honest, and she will see that. And having your mom back you up should be helpful, I'm sure. Good luck!
Old 10-12-08, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

I agree being honest is probably best. If you know something works for you, then there's no reason you should try something else, and if your doctor won't respect your financial issues, then I would personally ask him if HE'S willing to pay for your prescriptions.

Just make sure to phrase things in a way that make it clear you weren't ABUSING any of these drugs, including alcohol. I admitted to my psych. that I tended to drink some at night. All that happened is that he asked me how it made me feel, and I told him that, truthfully, it calmed me down and helped me focus. That is self-medicating, and I think it it's just one more thing that helps reinforce the diagnosis of ADD.
Old 10-12-08, 04:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, definitely be honest, but make sure not to come off as a junky that just wants a fix.
Old 10-13-08, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

You can actually push some of the blame on your mother. My mom asked me to try a pill, etc ....

But tell the doctor--they're not nearly as judgmental as we fear they will be.