ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-06, 05:07 PM
Crazy~Feet's Avatar
Crazy~Feet Crazy~Feet is offline
Guest
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunagakure
Posts: 20,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 226 Times in 86 Posts
Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

What y'all think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus

Hyperfocus describes an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind.

From a neurodiversity perspective, hyperfocus is a mental ability that is a natural expression of personality. However, hyperfocus can also be regarded as a psychiatric diagnosis, as a distraction from reality and a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), adult attention-deficit disorder (AADD), or autism. Counter to this view, the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for ADHD (for example) do not include anything resembling hyperfocus and instead emphasise opposite behaviors such as "often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks".

Some people say that hyperfocus is an important element of meditation, but Osho emphasized that meditation is not concentration. In common parlance, hyperfocus is sometimes referred to as "zoning out." In sports, it is sometimes referred to as "being in the zone."

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4123.html

Both research and clinical experience tells us that ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting. This situation is most often found when ADHD Children play computer games. ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.

The hyperfocus found in ADHD Children is not a normal type of concentration or focus. Remembering the neurochemical aspects of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), hyperfocus requires the child to use the maximum attention and sustained concentration available. For parents and teachers, imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - as if somebody were asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

In ADHD Children, hyperfocus allows them to participate in computer games or watch high-action movies - but at a cost. The amount of energy being used makes them very irritable. If a parent interrupts the computer game or movie with a question, a call for lunch, or a request - the ADHD Children is likely to explode in a burst of verbal or physical aggression. His or her concentration has been broken and that neurochemical activity spills out into the room, or is directed at the interrupting source.

http://school.familyeducation.com/le...nts/37763.html

Can a gifted child who spends hours focused on a task still have ADHD?
Some parents and professionals assume that a child who can concentrate for a long time cannot have ADHD. This is incorrect. It's understandable that an observer might dismiss the possibility of ADHD, because from all appearances the child is so absorbed in a task that everything around her fades into oblivion.

While this state of rapt attention may be the sign of a creative mind, it may also be "hyperfocus," which is a similar condition that individuals with ADHD frequently experience. You can't tell children with and without ADHD from how they engage in high-interest activities -- such as videos, computer games, or reading for pleasure. The key is effort. How your child performs during projects that require effort -- but aren't necessarily high-interest -- can mark the difference.

So a child with ADHD can concentrate for long periods of time?
ADHD is not characterized by a child's inability to pay attention, but rather is marked by his inability to control his attention. A child with ADHD has great difficulty paying attention to tasks that are not immediately rewarding, that require effort.

While "hyperfocus" can be a positive sign of commitment to a task and a sign of motivation, it becomes a problem when a gifted child is asked to shift from one task to another. In other words, while this intense concentration can be positive for the child's thinking, it can also cause problems in her behavior.

Seems to be a subject coming up a lot here of late. What does hyperfocus mean to you?

Crazy
Reply With Quote
The Following 125 Users Say Thank You to Crazy~Feet For This Useful Post:
400 Lux (02-23-14), 4fenianbhoys (01-14-11), ABadder (01-11-15), ADDictive_714 (08-19-10), ADDinHDefgHi?! (08-20-12), addkid92 (01-15-11), Addr68 (09-25-08), ADD_AUTHOR (11-15-12), ADHDnME (06-02-10), alan1 (04-18-10), alpi35 (02-06-12), amathome (11-11-10), amberwillow (02-04-13), APSJ (06-10-09), arxonius (07-12-13), Ashley Myers (10-01-08), auntchris (02-25-09), babelsgp (01-08-12), barnops (05-30-10), BehindTheSofa (04-29-09), Bezuidenthustra (01-19-11), Bjartur (03-04-10), blitzfighter2 (07-10-13), BluRdgChk (06-27-12), BricksAreHeavy (05-28-17), C8H10N4O2 (03-04-11), Chelsea Dagger (02-01-11), ChrissiADHD (03-29-14), cirezaru (06-16-09), crusty (01-14-11), DeClutter (11-08-17), DeLL (06-16-09), dinger70 (07-08-10), ditzydreamer (05-06-09), Djo77 (12-27-10), doiadhd (06-10-09), eggyolkes (02-17-11), embrodak (07-29-10), emmawipp (11-16-11), fastgreen (06-07-13), Filipe (03-13-10), finallyfound10 (10-03-10), Fishstix (04-11-10), Flibbertigibbet (02-12-11), FlightyBroad (12-31-13), fliparagon (02-04-11), formychildren (12-14-09), geekgrrle (10-20-09), ginniebean (11-21-09), Goinggaurav (11-29-16), happycreature (01-24-13), heyy its phil (01-10-10), hypergirl96 (03-01-15), irishgirl49 (01-18-12), jd-in-nh-ADHDer (03-21-11), Jetta91298 (01-25-13), Jewelz81 (10-01-11), joyrjw (09-05-12), Judia (12-04-09), JustfixME (07-14-16), KanaBelle (08-14-12), keairaphoenix (05-13-10), kgtennisfan (06-01-10), Killswitch (06-13-12), KineticPower (02-09-10), KnewItAllAlong (03-24-10), Kryistina (12-27-09), kwalk (12-08-08), lady_peace (12-22-11), LambyLottie (07-25-12), LaVieEnRose (10-21-10), Layla771 (07-28-10), Laynz (01-22-10), leapofaith (11-30-09), lis dexia (07-10-08), livingpharaoh (09-29-10), luxe305 (06-27-12), lynette19775 (12-05-10), l_ruth_ (05-20-17), mantisboxer (06-01-13), matt6974 (05-26-14), Maureen410 (10-24-13), meisam317 (06-05-11), meridian (04-16-10), MerryBe (09-09-12), Mesaana (03-31-11), Mindfeed (01-29-10), Misstaken83 (01-17-14), Mr. Guy (03-06-14), murphy40 (05-28-08), MyLogic (10-22-11), mzcherry (04-16-10), Nonzens (08-17-13), O'Doyle (03-26-10), ONLY DESTROYER (01-06-13), positivethink (08-18-10), Proletariat (07-29-10), PurpleCloud (10-02-11), Relish (04-10-11), RobotInDisguise (03-13-13), SaFyre (07-11-12), Space-Case (10-19-11), spacegrrl (10-03-17), SpazCadet (08-13-10), Sq2Peg (07-24-09), Sunlovinlady (11-01-13), susannahmia (03-02-11), Swirl (05-27-09), Tetrahedra (06-14-13), Thatz (03-13-10), TheGreatKing (03-22-16), thepitcher10 (09-16-14), tinywiney (10-14-09), tipoo (12-16-10), TortoiseShell (01-04-13), TroubledAider (12-08-11), Tulip7171 (09-16-13), tunahammer (02-21-12), veronica0306 (07-08-12), whatAsaidtoB (10-04-09), wildthing (11-06-14), Wire Mother (11-26-14), xenonscreams (03-17-10), zannie (12-06-10), ZiggyFry (08-20-09)
  #2  
Old 08-06-06, 05:32 PM
Imnapl's Avatar
Imnapl Imnapl is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,848
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 13,417
Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for that, Crazy.
__________________
Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden.

Phaedrus


Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
Tina BB (10-07-12)
  #3  
Old 08-06-06, 05:39 PM
Crazy~Feet's Avatar
Crazy~Feet Crazy~Feet is offline
Guest
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunagakure
Posts: 20,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 226 Times in 86 Posts
Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
You are very welcome .
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 08-06-06, 09:10 PM
speedo's Avatar
speedo speedo is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 4,458
Thanks: 54
Thanked 517 Times in 287 Posts
speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Great info crazy feet!

Me


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet
What y'all think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus

Hyperfocus describes an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind.

From a neurodiversity perspective, hyperfocus is a mental ability that is a natural expression of personality. However, hyperfocus can also be regarded as a psychiatric diagnosis, as a distraction from reality and a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), adult attention-deficit disorder (AADD), or autism. Counter to this view, the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for ADHD (for example) do not include anything resembling hyperfocus and instead emphasise opposite behaviors such as "often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks".

Some people say that hyperfocus is an important element of meditation, but Osho emphasized that meditation is not concentration. In common parlance, hyperfocus is sometimes referred to as "zoning out." In sports, it is sometimes referred to as "being in the zone."

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4123.html

Both research and clinical experience tells us that ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting. This situation is most often found when ADHD Children play computer games. ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.

The hyperfocus found in ADHD Children is not a normal type of concentration or focus. Remembering the neurochemical aspects of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), hyperfocus requires the child to use the maximum attention and sustained concentration available. For parents and teachers, imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - as if somebody were asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

In ADHD Children, hyperfocus allows them to participate in computer games or watch high-action movies - but at a cost. The amount of energy being used makes them very irritable. If a parent interrupts the computer game or movie with a question, a call for lunch, or a request - the ADHD Children is likely to explode in a burst of verbal or physical aggression. His or her concentration has been broken and that neurochemical activity spills out into the room, or is directed at the interrupting source.

http://school.familyeducation.com/le...nts/37763.html

Can a gifted child who spends hours focused on a task still have ADHD?
Some parents and professionals assume that a child who can concentrate for a long time cannot have ADHD. This is incorrect. It's understandable that an observer might dismiss the possibility of ADHD, because from all appearances the child is so absorbed in a task that everything around her fades into oblivion.

While this state of rapt attention may be the sign of a creative mind, it may also be "hyperfocus," which is a similar condition that individuals with ADHD frequently experience. You can't tell children with and without ADHD from how they engage in high-interest activities -- such as videos, computer games, or reading for pleasure. The key is effort. How your child performs during projects that require effort -- but aren't necessarily high-interest -- can mark the difference.

So a child with ADHD can concentrate for long periods of time?
ADHD is not characterized by a child's inability to pay attention, but rather is marked by his inability to control his attention. A child with ADHD has great difficulty paying attention to tasks that are not immediately rewarding, that require effort.

While "hyperfocus" can be a positive sign of commitment to a task and a sign of motivation, it becomes a problem when a gifted child is asked to shift from one task to another. In other words, while this intense concentration can be positive for the child's thinking, it can also cause problems in her behavior.

Seems to be a subject coming up a lot here of late. What does hyperfocus mean to you?

Crazy
__________________
ADHD.... It's not just for kids anymore...
It all seems impressive when you don't know what it means. (H. Rickey, 1987)
"Aye yam what aye yam." (Popeye)
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-06, 09:54 PM
Lipz17 Lipz17 is offline
Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winston,Oregon
Posts: 1,471
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lipz17 has a spectacular aura aboutLipz17 has a spectacular aura about
Very good info,thanks crazy!!!
__________________
Remember,the greatest gift is not found in a store nor under a tree,but in the heart of true friends.~unknown~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-06, 12:46 AM
Crazy~Feet's Avatar
Crazy~Feet Crazy~Feet is offline
Guest
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunagakure
Posts: 20,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 226 Times in 86 Posts
Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Thank you, thank you, thank you .

Crazy
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazy~Feet For This Useful Post:
ariwara (06-20-12), doiadhd (06-10-09)
  #7  
Old 08-07-06, 01:48 AM
VisualImagery's Avatar
VisualImagery VisualImagery is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Outside the Box
Posts: 7,831
Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 35 Posts
VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Helps to have this info for the "Data Driven" educational system. Sorry HF-it means quatitative and very rarely, qualitative.
__________________
[center]A friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself.
Jim Morrison
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VisualImagery For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (12-11-13), Tina BB (10-07-12)
  #8  
Old 06-10-09, 10:26 AM
doiadhd's Avatar
doiadhd doiadhd is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,489
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 9,415
Thanked 3,267 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you .

Crazy
No-thank you!
__________________
Everything is everything,thats the thing. . .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-06, 02:01 AM
speedo's Avatar
speedo speedo is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 4,458
Thanks: 54
Thanked 517 Times in 287 Posts
speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
I made this thread sticky. I hope nobody objects.
Hyperfocus is part of what we are, so I think it is important to understand it.


Me
__________________
ADHD.... It's not just for kids anymore...
It all seems impressive when you don't know what it means. (H. Rickey, 1987)
"Aye yam what aye yam." (Popeye)
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
fastgreen (06-07-13), LaVieEnRose (10-21-10)
  #10  
Old 08-07-06, 07:52 AM
Nova's Avatar
Nova Nova is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Here!
Posts: 3,669
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 19
Thanked 141 Times in 62 Posts
Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
'Sticky' away, Speed ! (0:

Stickies are good, on here !
__________________
- You don't seem, like a very good Vampire...
What, is it, that you, do?

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-06, 02:04 AM
speedo's Avatar
speedo speedo is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 4,458
Thanks: 54
Thanked 517 Times in 287 Posts
speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
This reminds me... I was in a cafe having coffee and I totally zoned out. A very perceptive fellow I knew caught me doing it and he commented "I wish I could do that"... I was a little embarassed having gotten caught red-handed zoning like that.

It is the one characteristic of ADHD that I deeply appreciate.


Me
__________________
ADHD.... It's not just for kids anymore...
It all seems impressive when you don't know what it means. (H. Rickey, 1987)
"Aye yam what aye yam." (Popeye)
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
Considerthis (12-07-15), Jetta91298 (01-25-13), ladykrimson (01-04-13), Mr. Guy (03-06-14)
  #12  
Old 08-07-06, 02:11 AM
VisualImagery's Avatar
VisualImagery VisualImagery is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Outside the Box
Posts: 7,831
Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 35 Posts
VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
How do you make a thread sticky? With my grace and precision, that means spilling something on it. When I sew, sewing through tape makes thread sticky and sticky thread is bad. Do they make Post-It threads-OMG that is kinda funny-and I didn't see it coming. With ADD, you entertain yourself.

I was in major hyperfocus today-trying to figure myself out. Truly, and guess what? I still haven't. Kinda unnerves my family.

Becky
__________________
[center]A friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself.
Jim Morrison
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VisualImagery For This Useful Post:
Firebird (12-16-10), leapofaith (11-30-09)
  #13  
Old 08-07-06, 02:22 AM
speedo's Avatar
speedo speedo is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 4,458
Thanks: 54
Thanked 517 Times in 287 Posts
speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
I usually make threads sticky by applying a liberal coating of Duco (tm) rubber cement.

I was really hyperfocused this morning and I completed modifications to two computer programs in 30 minutes, and in the process I created something kind of new.

I have learned that while I can't control when and where I hyperfocus, I CAN use it to my advantage.

Me



Quote:
Originally Posted by RADDmom
How do you make a thread sticky? With my grace and precision, that means spilling something on it. When I sew, sewing through tape makes thread sticky and sticky thread is bad. Do they make Post-It threads-OMG that is kinda funny-and I didn't see it coming. With ADD, you entertain yourself.

I was in major hyperfocus today-trying to figure myself out. Truly, and guess what? I still haven't. Kinda unnerves my family.

Becky
__________________
ADHD.... It's not just for kids anymore...
It all seems impressive when you don't know what it means. (H. Rickey, 1987)
"Aye yam what aye yam." (Popeye)
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
Senegalle (03-28-14)
  #14  
Old 08-07-06, 06:44 PM
Crazy~Feet's Avatar
Crazy~Feet Crazy~Feet is offline
Guest
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunagakure
Posts: 20,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 226 Times in 86 Posts
Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
This reminds me... I was in a cafe having coffee and I totally zoned out. A very perceptive fellow I knew caught me doing it and he commented "I wish I could do that"... I was a little embarassed having gotten caught red-handed zoning like that.

It is the one characteristic of ADHD that I deeply appreciate.


Me
Heh, that's how I got the Kid to realise her meds worked! I was unmedicated and she was medicated and we sat at the clinic office. The walls there are very soothing and extremely zone-friendly. I said "OK, let's try something. Zone with me!".

I went off to Outer Space and she kept poking me "Momma? MOMMA! I can't zone! And I sure hope I do not look as dumb as you do when I zone, sheesh Momma...".

Crazy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-26-09, 10:45 AM
faith_tx faith_tx is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 20
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
faith_tx is on a distinguished road
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet View Post
Heh, that's how I got the Kid to realise her meds worked! I was unmedicated and she was medicated and we sat at the clinic office. The walls there are very soothing and extremely zone-friendly. I said "OK, let's try something. Zone with me!".

I went off to Outer Space and she kept poking me "Momma? MOMMA! I can't zone! And I sure hope I do not look as dumb as you do when I zone, sheesh Momma...".

Crazy
Wow. . . I'm just reading through this and a light-bulb went off. I was only recently diagnosed. In school I never got in trouble so I guess nobody bothered to see what was going on. But, the teacher sent a note home once that I was constantly staring off into space and zoned out. I wasn't on drugs (which is maybe what they thought) so they wanted to know what was wrong with me. Well, I was in history class and not interested, that's what.

Through the years I've been in counseling for various things and still nobody picked up on the ADD until this last week. The "counselors" I was seeing, called it dissociation, and blamed it on a stressful childhood. I'm thinking now it is just my wiring and has nothing to do with my childhood at all.

I have also noticed times at work when I'm super interested in what I'm doing (I'm a tester) that I go into this mode where I almost feel . . . I don't know how else to say it but I almost feel a little high. . . it just feels so good to get in a groove of something that is sort of complex and takes all my attention and I don't have the "channel two" as I call it. . .running in the background.

I almost always feel like I have my intended primary focus . . . then the second channel which is whatever I'm sort of working or obsessing on at the moment. . . running in the background of my mind.

This weekend I was at church and I had just been told I'm ADD so I've been researching that and thinking it all through. . processing it. I was at church in Bible study which I normally enjoy. . .but I couldn't get my mind off of the conversations I'd had with my new psychologist. I just kept going over and over it in my mind and things I'd read since. Very annoying!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to faith_tx For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-29-10)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"No scientific basis" - Here's the Proof mctavish23 General ADD Talk 175 04-28-17 05:27 PM
Some interesting info I found on the web... aneededchange Nutrition 26 12-09-07 04:21 AM
Neurodevelopment and autism during growth speedo Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD 0 09-18-05 11:56 PM
A Multidimensional Model of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Andi Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD 0 03-06-05 11:44 AM
Gene found for obsessive disorder disorder (OCD) ferrette1976 Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD 0 10-23-03 03:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums