ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-27-12, 02:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you work better unsupervised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I always needed someone to check up on me, but i've always worked my best alone. I hated group projects in school.
Oh, ME TOO. I always had better ideas than the other people in the group, but kept my mouth shut because I was shy.
stef (05-27-12)
Old 05-29-12, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

I do better without constant supervision or "hovering." That feeling of being constantly scrutinized and questioned just makes me anxious and unable to focus on doing my job well. I also hate interruptions while I am working, especially when I'm in mid-project and someone else keeps asking me to stop what I'm doing to work on something entirely different. It throws off my momentum.

Ideally, I would be in a position where I can do the work and have a supervisor somewhat available if I am second-guessing myself or need clarification on how to proceed.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JollyBadger For This Useful Post:
aquariu32 (06-09-12), spunkysmum (06-09-12)
Old 06-08-12, 10:06 AM

aquariu32 has a spectacular aura aboutaquariu32 has a spectacular aura about

I feel exactly the same way as spunkysmum. One of my supervisors brings micromanaging to an all new level. Makes the day hell.I have been there for two years and I know what needs to be done. My other supervisor rarely comes up front and I think once has told me to get product filled in the case when I hadn't acknowledged it yet. I am told to do five things at one time answer the phones help customers and then put down with insults for everything not being instantly accomplished. The more I am under scrutiny the better chance the task will be incomplete or incorrect. When left alone I am confident and selfmotivated
The Following User Says Thank You to aquariu32 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-09-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 05:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I absolutely work best unsupervised. I like having my managers in the general vicinity (like, in the building somewhere) in case I need to ask them a question or double check something with them, but that's about as close as I want them! I choke up whenever someone comes and stands behind me and looks over my shoulder while I'm working (which by the way, should be illegal! ugh) and I make way more errors than I would otherwise. I also miss far more details when someone is watching me work than I would otherwise. I am sure it comes down to anxiety about being scrutinized like that.

At my job, whenever you get promoted to a new position you go through a training period and then have a practical "evaluation" to determine if you've passed training and can work in your new position unsupervised. You can imagine what a nightmare that was for me! During one supervised evaluation I burst into tears because I was so frazzled. During another one, I got so anxious I literally threw up. I had to sit down with my managers and explain the situation to them. They were really understanding and despite my awful evaluations, they promoted me anyway. They had seen enough of my work during my training periods to know that I was very good at my job, I just cracked under the pressure of a formal observation. I am very fortunate that they were kind and understanding... many people would not have been.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following User Says Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
aquariu32 (06-14-12)