ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-12, 02:04 AM
Jr Member

ddarco is on a distinguished road
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettermenow1 View Post
Hyperfocusing is one of the gifts and curses of ADD. Some of the things I accomplish out of hyperfocusing are phenomenal, and other times it's just a waste of time on something trivial. It's also the thing that confuses me about my real passion. I"m afraid that I'll start something, hyperfocus on it, and then lose interest in it or that I'm confusing something I hyperfocus on as a passion when it's not. If that makes any sense.
Yup 26, I am going back to school for another degree. Hopefully this one isn't on a whim and it is really what I'm made for . Incredibly hard for me to know what I should do.

Also incredibly hard for me to do the work and study before I get so close that fear grips me and forces me to study.

But the fear is getting weaker so my procrastination is getting stronger.

Who can believe fear was necessary to hold my ADD in check? Thats messed up I need to get better.
Old 10-07-12, 04:54 PM
Jr Member

Tina BB is on a distinguished road

This was the thing that actually made me believe that my son DIDNT have adhd. I didnt understand the condition and believed it to be a constant inability to sit still and focus but my son could watch cartoon and play computer games for hours on end without a break and we had to switch off at the plug to get him back into the world with us! But it turned out that hyperfocus is a part of the condition, its a shame he cant hyperfocus on an educational book the way he does on star wars clone wars xbox game lolol
Old 10-07-12, 10:25 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,204 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

If you can make hyperfocusing on the book rewarding or interesting you might be able to. For example, rewarding him immediately for finishing his homework for the day, he might be more motivated to do so.

This page might help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-12, 01:22 PM
Jr Member

IOCharles is on a distinguished road

It can be a great tool in academics and work, I know I've benefited from it many times in school projects, but it can cause you to neglect important things, and if you do it too often you'll start something and hyperfocus on it but then never finish it because you start focusing on something else. It is a double-edged sword.
Old 10-16-12, 04:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

parliate is on a distinguished road

sadly i m being hyper focused on fantasy books or computer . (mostly tv-shows and tv shows based on fantasy )

i wish my parents and my friends guide to me about it but they didn't and here i am .i have unsuccessful life now.

using concerta 54 mg /// ohh jesus i can focus
( probably will be 36 +36 )

Added : +10 mg Ritalin after 6 hours later concerta.
Old 10-19-12, 02:50 AM
Jr Member

blaise0604 is on a distinguished road

lol hyperfocus is a pretty funny thing. things i can hyperfocus on range from a random string of logical thought that i blurt out to me dancing for 4 hours. Its a pretty cool thing especially when you are hyperfocused on something cool like drawing or dancing cause you get really good at it but its kind of an oxymoron cause hyperfocus leads me to be unfocused on tasks i should be doing.
Old 10-28-12, 09:57 AM

catrenn is on a distinguished road

As an educator AND a medical transcriptionist with an ADHD diagnosis, let me tell you the difference between perseveration (which is the medical term for it) and hyperfocus. Hyperfocus happens in AD/HD, bipolar, autism, and OCD, and also in just severely creative or disciplined people who are working on an absorbing task. it's often pleasurable while you're in it. It DOES improve your abilities in whatever you're working on, and it is highly horrible to be forced out of it.

Perseveration, on the other hand, is uncontrollable REPETITION of the same action or thought process, sometimes with no recollection that you've already done it. If you're interrupted, or you finish the task, you just go back to it and start over. In the ER they associate it with head trauma, stroke, schizoaffective disorders, psychosis, sometimes PTSD, dementia, and that class of problem. I've seen autistic and ADHD children do it when stressed. It doesn't necessarily improve your ability or your speed, it doesn't lead anywhere, it doesn't build on itself. An example would be a person who has been in a car accident repeatedly asking what happened, when they've already been told. Or an OCD person who can't stop washing his or her hands. Or rocking, or chanting the same word over and over. The two situations are similar in that in neither case does the person doing it have good control over it.

Perseveration is also not the same thing as perseverance. Perseverance is sticking to something, persevering, until it's finished, because you decided to, because you think it's useful or necessary. Perseveration is not having a choice, perseverating away at the same useless thing over and over again because you can't stop, or you don't know you already did it.
The Following User Says Thank You to catrenn For This Useful Post:
hanikamiya (12-16-12)
Old 11-02-12, 10:14 AM

Ajdadd is on a distinguished road

In the early days of the internet I had extreme hyperfocus when playing one of the first online multiperson shooter games -- "Doom." At work I'd "take a break" to play Doom at 4 pm and wind up staying until 2 am or later without eating, drinking, or a bathroom break. At the time I smoked, and I always thought that I could easily quit smoking if I could just play that game constantly for a couple of weeks with someone to occasionally feed me and bring water.

Later, it turned out that I was completely engrossed with law school, and as a result I graduated first in my class. So the hyperfocus can have its advantages. Luckily, the relationship that was destroyed by hyperfocus in law school wasn't worth saving.
Old 12-11-12, 05:55 AM

kiwigirl is on a distinguished road

My son does exactly this with the computer or dvd's also he lives in fantasy land and makes stories up constantly sometimes I'm sure he believes them. I also do this with things like reading or looking up stuff like this forum I've spent like 3 hours on it already and this is my first look : )
Old 01-03-13, 07:22 AM

Gogogirl is on a distinguished road

HYPER FOCUS for me is about projects ... but also "over doing it" in conversations .... socializing ... thinking.... sleeping....

Im NOW determined to skip along on topics instead of digging in..

So im gonna end this..instead of writing a long long thingy

see getting better already
Old 01-04-13, 05:59 AM

argentvortex is on a distinguished road

So much of my life suddenly made so much more sense after reading this thread's information.
Old 01-05-13, 08:26 PM

krismardenver has a spectacular aura aboutkrismardenver has a spectacular aura about

I hyper focus in spurts of about 2-3 months at a time. Computer games, politics, knitting, art, gardening, etc. whatever I deem to be important at the time. I make people around me my unwilling sounding board, God help them when I find yet another interest. I hope I never "discover" religion, I'll be driving people to suicide, lol.
Old 02-04-13, 04:04 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina BB View Post
This was the thing that actually made me believe that my son DIDNT have adhd. I didnt understand the condition and believed it to be a constant inability to sit still and focus but my son could watch cartoon and play computer games for hours on end without a break and we had to switch off at the plug to get him back into the world with us! But it turned out that hyperfocus is a part of the condition, its a shame he cant hyperfocus on an educational book the way he does on star wars clone wars xbox game lolol
Your son sounds like when I was a kid. I couldn't stay focused on school unless it's interesting math or science stuff (no boring details, please). I would play video games all the time, much to my parents' annoyance. And when they interrupted me for any reason, I got ******.

Not much has changed, except that I quit gaming and when I'm interrupted from something that I'm intensely focused on, I control myself so as to not look like the raging ***** that I am on the inside lol

never knew that little bit of childhood behavior was part of adhd lmao
Old 03-29-13, 09:47 PM

MensanDave has a spectacular aura aboutMensanDave has a spectacular aura about

Hyper focus=Edger Cayce/ look him up, its to the next level in him and explains why some have problems around certain types of people, places, things, environments.

You know who makes the best visuals of it? Movies when they do the slow motion or other tricks with the camera and the sound.

You know how gifted people learn traits they do not have naturally. Osmosis

Hollywood works on levels the masses are ignorant. Proof read Walter Benjamin work on mechanical reproduction. The matrix movies are based off of that article.

Just thinking outside the box.
Old 04-29-13, 10:46 AM

Ultimabob is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that hyperfocus as a result of ADHD is a myth. ADHD leads to perserverance, not hyperfocus--ADHDers (like all people) have the potential for hyperfocus, but not because of their ADHD.

My experience is that this is true. Having known some people who are capable of hyperfocus from time to time--and perhaps having experienced it myself once in a blue moon--I think there is a qualitative difference between the very nature of the attention process experienced by an ADHDer playing 20+ hours of games, or surfing the net for hours, and someone in true hyperfocus.