ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-13, 04:51 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,204 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimabob View Post
My understanding is that hyperfocus as a result of ADHD is a myth. ADHD leads to perserverance, not hyperfocus--ADHDers (like all people) have the potential for hyperfocus, but not because of their ADHD.
I think you mean "perseveration" and the person who stated it was making some rather broad generalizations and using a term that had negative connotations to support his argument that ADHD has no positive effects, but his statement was not particularly accurate.

Quote:
My experience is that this is true. Having known some people who are capable of hyperfocus from time to time--and perhaps having experienced it myself once in a blue moon--I think there is a qualitative difference between the very nature of the attention process experienced by an ADHDer playing 20+ hours of games, or surfing the net for hours, and someone in true hyperfocus.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I never saw these things as hyperfocus, and people who don't have ADHD do them too.

Everyone has anecdotal experience. While it is helpful for individuals who experience it, making a generalization based on it is not necessarily accurate.