ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-18, 04:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
proud to say we took her car away for awhile

Of course this is Becca the almost 18 year old. She spent the night at a friends and asked if she could hang the next day and we gave her until 10. 10 came and she wasnt home. We went through this once before with her so husband said he would wait for her so I could go to sleep cause all three kids and I had psyche appts saturday morning. I woke up and she wasnt there. Husband called over and over and she answered she was so sorry she fell asleep and he told her to get her butt home pronto. She came in crying she was so sorry she knew I was worried but we had to go I said we would discuss it later. It was a log while out with 4 appts and then the pharmacy and I had plans with the youngest at 2. We got back from that and Mark and I talked. We sat her down that night and told her. No driving for at least a week (more really but we do not owe her a timeline). The ironic thing is of all the shennanigans she has been involved in I really believe she fell alseep but it doesnt matter she needs consequences. I wish I was able to take a pic of her face.

She thought she would slide though. She said:"but I start my new job this week"
{Ill drive you}
"You will pick me up at 10?"
{yep}
"but I drive Ella and I to school"
{Ill be doing that }
"but I get done early from school, Ella takes the bus home"
{Ill be there in front of the school waiting-unless Im tied up in which case you will have to wait in the office}
"How long?"
{we will continuously reevaluate}We told her that her job and the rest of the world wont care if she oversleeps and she needs to be responsible enough to let us know what shes up to, doing and how she plans on making it home on time.
Is it wrong that the devil on my shoulder was grinning that big 'gotcha' grin? He face was priceless because she really thought some tears and apologies were going to get her out of this one.
We are damn proud of this.
My mom used to say" punishing you hurts me more than it hurts you" I believe her now. Its going to be a PITA to pick her up and drive her but its what has to be done.

Not only does she need to show responsibility but she is operating a machine that can be a weapon, its not something to sneeze at.

So did we do good?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lisa_Mac (01-17-18), Lunacie (01-15-18)