ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-09, 02:38 PM
Contributor

Annwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the rough
Re: The 10 Worst Mistakes Career Changers Make - ADHD

I work as an executive recruiter in the technology field.

While I would never say never, I will say that this is a particularly difficult time to try to change careers. The US economy has lost millions of jobs in the last year and whatever career you think you want to get into, know that there are hundreds, possibly thousands of people with experience who are out of work and desperate to get back - even at a dramatically reduced salary.

If you have expertise in an area, even an area you really do not enjoy, you might consider sticking it out for another year or so until things pick up.

If you do want to make the change, most recruiters will not be able to help you. If you are looking to get into something that a general staffing firm handles and it does not require a lot of experience, education or training, you may be able to just walk into a job like that. These are jobs like telemarketer, light industrial worker, receptionist, warehouse worker, etc.

However, if you are a computer programmer and you want to get into supply chain management or otherwise move from one professional level career to another, a recruiter will be of no help. Recruiters work for fees from their clients and no client is going to pay a 5 figure fee to bring on someone with no track record and no experience.

Use your network, use your friends and family. Highlight the fact that there is little to no risk in giving you a chance. Offer to intern the position for a few weeks or work for a substantially lower salary as a trainee.

Get creative, it can be done.

I went from the high tech world to the recruiting world, but I did it on my own. It was difficult, but ultimately worth it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annwn For This Useful Post:
FastForward (01-26-10), Jade Sea (04-12-11)