ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-02-11, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future
Re: Opportunity Strikes Anonymouslyadd!

Good luck Anon!This sounds like a really good opportunity for you but I'm behind you with whatever you decide to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buddy For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-02-11), Unmanagable (10-02-11)
Old 10-02-11, 03:02 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,302 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say go for it with all you have. Part time if possible, but full time if you have to. Life out there is merciless and opportunities dont come by all that often. Don't wait until you find yourself running out of them.

And at the same time, avoid overtaxing. From personal experience I know that is a killer that can lead to you feeling worse every week. You have to keep in charge of your personal life and not let the agenda dictate every minute of your week.
So whatever has to go, no matter how much you regret it, will simply have to go.
anonymouslyadd (10-02-11), buddy (10-03-11), namazu (10-03-11), Unmanagable (10-02-11)
Old 10-02-11, 03:44 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
I'd say go for it with all you have. Part time if possible, but full time if you have to. Life out there is merciless and opportunities dont come by all that often. Don't wait until you find yourself running out of them.

And at the same time, avoid overtaxing. From personal experience I know that is a killer that can lead to you feeling worse every week. You have to keep in charge of your personal life and not let the agenda dictate every minute of your week.
So whatever has to go, no matter how much you regret it, will simply have to go.
Thanks Sarek. I agree with you. Good advice.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (10-02-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-11, 07:36 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys. He wants to meet with me this Wednesday. Do you think he will expect me to make a decision right then and there? I would like to know what his company offers first before I make a decision.

After I meet with him, do you think it would be appropriate to ask if I could get back to him by Monday? Would that be too late?

I don't want to come off as uninterested or unappreciative either.

I always question myself.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
buddy (10-03-11), peripatetic (10-03-11)
Old 10-02-11, 08:15 PM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

Usually they will tell you when they want a decision by since you should be able to think over their offer. You can always reate an excuse by saying "it sounds great but I need to talk it over with my wife"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KronarTheBlack For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-02-11), buddy (10-03-11)
Old 10-02-11, 08:23 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronarTheBlack View Post
Usually they will tell you when they want a decision by since you should be able to think over their offer. You can always reate an excuse by saying "it sounds great but I need to talk it over with my wife"
I wouldn't feel comfortable lying. I'm far from married. I don't remember being given a date. I don't know.

I could just say. I need some time to think about this.

~Paulo Coelho
peripatetic (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
If he wants to try you out part time in the beginning, then there probably won't be a problem with him working around your school schedule. I don't think it's too much to ask for considering it's part time in the beginning. Plus, by the time the course ends, he may decide he wants you full time. That's only two months away.

I think that if you get in there and really like it, you'll know what you can and want to cut back on doing or give up. If you don't like it, it was still a great opportunity and experience. Plus, you've possibly added another contact for your resume.
I'm going to agree with what BR said here. Also, is there any way you can possibly telecommute for part of this job? That might make the timing a little easier on you.
anonymouslyadd (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 12:54 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimei View Post
I'm going to agree with what BR said here. Also, is there any way you can possibly telecommute for part of this job? That might make the timing a little easier on you.
I don't know. I could ask. That would be sweet. Although, that would leave me holding myself accountable. *sigh* I knew a guy who worked remotely, but he had worked there a couple years.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 10-03-11, 01:58 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,388 Times in 10,789 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Hey guys. He wants to meet with me this Wednesday. Do you think he will expect me to make a decision right then and there? I would like to know what his company offers first before I make a decision.

After I meet with him, do you think it would be appropriate to ask if I could get back to him by Monday? Would that be too late?

I don't want to come off as uninterested or unappreciative either.

I always question myself.
What do you mean by "what his company offers" -- in terms of salary and benefits, working environment, opportunities for professional advancement, other?

You should be able to get all this info before you have to make a decision. The salary/benefits offered should be stated clearly (ideally, in written form). The other things -- working environment, opportunities, etc. -- are things you can ask about at your meeting. Are there other things you would like to know?

Also, if there are things you are curious about, say, vacation time, but feel it would look weird to ask at the first interview (to avoid giving the impression that you're already ready to take a vacation before you've even started working!), you could ask them after you've received a job offer but before you decide to accept.

Are there other issues? (If you're thinking of asking about formal accommodations, that's a whole other ball of wax, and though I don't know what Canadian laws have to say, I imagine the advice given to U.S. residents also applies, i.e. disclose only if you have to, or have an extremely, obviously, understanding workplace, and in both cases, ideally after you've received a firm job offer...)
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-11, 02:09 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
What do you mean by "what his company offers" -- in terms of salary and benefits, working environment, opportunities for professional advancement, other?
Exactly.

Quote:
You should be able to get all this info before you have to make a decision. The salary/benefits offered should be stated clearly (ideally, in written form). The other things -- working environment, opportunities, etc. -- are things you can ask about at your meeting. Are there other things you would like to know?
I want to know his expectations. I would love to get everything in written form. I wanted to email him some questions so I could be a little more prepared for the interview, but he said he'd rather talk about in person.

Quote:
Also, if there are things you are curious about, say, vacation time, but feel it would look weird to ask at the first interview (to avoid giving the impression that you're already ready to take a vacation before you've even started working!), you could ask them after you've received a job offer but before you decide to accept.
I see. Well, I've already been offered the job. I'm not sure why it was so soon. He did say that they do a trial period where they train you to see how things work out. Maybe that's why he said that if I wanted a job I could have it. I would have loved for it to be based on my presention and other forms of merit.

Quote:
Are there other issues? (If you're thinking of asking about formal accommodations, that's a whole other ball of wax, and though I don't know what Canadian laws have to say, I imagine the advice given to U.S. residents also applies, i.e. disclose only if you have to, or have an extremely, obviously, understanding workplace, and in both cases, ideally after you've received a firm job offer...)
Oh no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never. I'm not asking for accomodations. I think this job is manageable. You need to be able to write and speak on the phone. The writing isn't very long, and I'm good on the phone. You work on a campaign, which I guess I need to ask how long that is.

Any other questions you feel I need to ask please list. I can't think now.

~Paulo Coelho
namazu (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 01:58 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Just my luck. I have to cover an event that starts at 11 a.m. and ends at 2 p.m. The guy wants to interview me at 10 a.m. on the same day. There's probably a 20 minute distance. I won't be able to take public transportation, which will throw me off a bit.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Maybe I will be ok getting to the event a little later on. What it be out of line to request if he could meet me at 9:30 a.m.? I specifically asked that we could meet at 9 a.m., and he never responded to my email. The new time of 10 a.m. came from, I guess, his secretary.

By the way, I showed my Journalism professor the website of the company, and she said to go for it so I could get my foot in the door. She worked in PR before.

~Paulo Coelho

Last edited by anonymouslyadd; 10-03-11 at 02:21 PM..
Old 10-03-11, 03:34 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

if you requested 9:00 and 10:00 came back, you likely should not request 9:30. when you say you have an event to cover, i take it you're doing a write up on it? arriving at 11:20 and staying for over two and a half hours seems like a sufficient amount if time to do a great write up. besides, if something huge happens in those first twenty or so minutes you can use your interview skills on participants and observers who were witness to it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-03-11), namazu (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 03:48 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
if you requested 9:00 and 10:00 came back, you likely should not request 9:30. when you say you have an event to cover, i take it you're doing a write up on it? arriving at 11:20 and staying for over two and a half hours seems like a sufficient amount if time to do a great write up. besides, if something huge happens in those first twenty or so minutes you can use your interview skills on participants and observers who were witness to it
I am covering the event for a story. I just emailed them to confirm the 10 a.m. time. I guess I'll be preparing for both. Wow...

~Paulo Coelho
Old 10-03-11, 03:59 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

maybe it's a blessing in disguise. that the job is part time bodes well for starting out slowly enough to not overwhelm. the major question really comes down to how your hours are determined. do you set your schedule? if so, are you good at that sort of organizational task? managing to schedule your various commitments is what would do me in...not the amount of stuff, but orchestrating it all. someone once told me she couldn't understand how i could be so good at puzzles and so poor at scheduling, which to her was some chronological tetris. i don't know what the difference is either, except i excel at one and suck miserably at the other.

just something to keep in mind as you're weighing things.

du courage!!! you're going to do marvelously, i'm sure

edit: of all the places those external resources really can help, scheduling is a huge one. a calendaring application with reminder timers on a smartphone can work wonders provided you heed the alerts and don't just turn them off thinking you'll get to that in a minute...
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-11, 06:37 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
if so, are you good at that sort of organizational task? managing to schedule your various commitments is what would do me in...not the amount of stuff, but orchestrating it all.
I'm going to struggle with it too Peri. I can imagine working like a 9-5 shift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If I make that commitment, I'll be ok. I know I'll worry about the other stuff though.

I'm going to have to inform the paper about what's going on if things work out.

Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll let me work a Saturday if they are actually doing an event. I'm not sure yet. I've gone to A-Z like that thread.

~Paulo Coelho
peripatetic (10-03-11)