ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-05-11, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future
Re: Opportunity Strikes Anonymouslyadd!

Congratulations Anon!This is great news.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buddy For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-07-11), Unmanagable (11-13-11)
Old 11-11-11, 02:13 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

My client wants to get on Dr. Oz! I told him I'd do the best I could.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BR549 (11-13-11), buddy (11-13-11), LynneC (11-21-11)
Old 11-13-11, 03:27 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

My client will tentatively be on a former Olympic Gold Medalist's online radio show. This is incredible.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Blueranne (11-13-11), BR549 (11-13-11), buddy (11-13-11), Impetus (11-13-11), julesjampot (11-14-11), namazu (11-13-11), Unmanagable (11-13-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-11, 09:56 AM
Moderator of all seasons

It feels strange having so many things to be proud of. I have to send my clients (I only have one now) a weekly update. This update has to be approved by my boss who received it last night. I just checked my work email, not expecting good news. Well, it was approved without having to fix anything. I'm happy.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
buddy (11-14-11), julesjampot (11-14-11), peripatetic (11-28-11), Unmanagable (11-21-11)
Old 11-14-11, 10:50 AM
Moderator of all seasons

My client is confirmed on the Olympic Gold Medalist's show tomorrow morning. I haven't been this pumped since I played baseball and got to slide into home plate head first.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
buddy (11-14-11), julesjampot (11-14-11), LynneC (11-21-11), namazu (11-14-11), peripatetic (11-28-11), Unmanagable (11-21-11)
Old 11-14-11, 12:17 PM

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,494 Posts
julesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant future

anonymouslyadd (11-14-11), buddy (11-14-11), namazu (11-21-11), Unmanagable (11-21-11)
Old 11-20-11, 10:41 PM
Moderator of all seasons

My client is about to be on the radio in my area! I can't wait to listen. I have tingles in my face and my temperature is rising.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BR549 (11-20-11), Impetus (11-22-11), peripatetic (11-28-11), Unmanagable (11-21-11)
Old 11-28-11, 05:29 PM
Moderator of all seasons

I would like your honest opinions and feedback about the following:

I had a meeting with my supervisor and owner about my performance today. They want me to think about whether I want to continue working with them and get back to them.

They said I was a hard worker and the campaign was pretty good. They were concerned about my ability to handle five or six campaigns, which is what they would expect from a full-time employee.

I must admit that five or six campaigns are a lot to take on. I was thinking I could handle three.

My supervisor said it seemed like I put a lot of pressure on myself, and she and the owner believe that may have impacted my learning progress (I am very intense). They seemed very concerned with this.

I don't disagree with her statement. I was often worried by many things, but this past week, I thought I really came into my own.

My supervisor cited one time when I made a mistake, and then, I'll interpret here, did not learn from the mistake even though I did not make it again.

I think we were discussing a scenario and maybe I came off uncertain. I think they base a lot of weight on the words you say and any uncertainty, does not look good.

They were pretty firm that they did not want someone to make the same mistake again.

I was quick to point out my strengths and made sure they knew about my successes, including multiple radio interviews, which I coordinated without any problems. I reminded them about getting media interest from a newspaper that circulates to about 400,000 people as well as a magazine, circulating to nearly 1,000,000 people.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-28-11), peripatetic (11-28-11)
Old 11-28-11, 06:03 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
My supervisor cited one time when I made a mistake, and then, I'll interpret here, did not learn from the mistake even though I did not make it again.

I think we were discussing a scenario and maybe I came off uncertain. I think they base a lot of weight on the words you say and any uncertainty, does not look good.

They were pretty firm that they did not want someone to make the same mistake again.
i'm unclear on the above. how could they tell you did not learn from the mistake since you didn't make it again? do you feel like you learned from it? and, is the mistake the uncertainty?

overall feedback: i read the exchanges as them giving you an "out" if you dont think you can handle the workload. it's possible *they* don't think you can. but they don't know everything, now do they do YOU think you can? do you want to rise to the challenge? do you love this job?

if you love it and you want it and you think you can do it, step up confidently and tell them that and konw that i believe in you if you don't want it or you think it's too much, this is your time and opportunity to let them konw what you tyhhink you can do and see if there's a different position for you there or elsewhere. either way, so long as you are as truthful with yourself and thhem in your self-assessment, you've done your best and that's more than good enough
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-28-11), Blueranne (11-28-11), namazu (11-28-11), Unmanagable (11-28-11)
Old 11-28-11, 08:35 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i'm unclear on the above. how could they tell you did not learn from the mistake since you didn't make it again? do you feel like you learned from it? and, is the mistake the uncertainty?
That was confusing. When the subject came up (a couple weeks ago), I think the way I expressed it to my supervisor made it seem like I didn't learn from the mistake. Based on this, I think she deduced that I didn't learn from it. Does that make better sense?

Quote:
overall feedback: i read the exchanges as them giving you an "out" if you dont think you can handle the workload. it's possible *they* don't think you can. but they don't know everything, now do they do YOU think you can? do you want to rise to the challenge? do you love this job?
I do love this job, and I told them that. They certainly don't know everything, and they know that I've been a staff writer for my school's paper too. Honestly, I don't know if I can handle five or six clients.

With that many clients, I would really have to structure my time. Gosh, I hate structure. It might be the only way for me to succeed in this job.

Also, you need a lot of organization with this job, and although I'm fairly organized, I still feel like there is more I could do to make myself more organized.

I don't feel like they are willing to be patient with me as I get my feet wet.

Yes, I do want to rise to the challenge, but there is some sort of uncertainty for me that is making me leary.

I'm convinced I'm meant to do something in writing, and I love thinking about angles. I'm good at these things. So, I think the job is perfect for me. The only thing I don't like is the administrative work, which is extremely time consuming.

Quote:
if you love it and you want it and you think you can do it, step up confidently and tell them that and konw that i believe in you if you don't want it or you think it's too much, this is your time and opportunity to let them konw what you tyhhink you can do and see if there's a different position for you there or elsewhere. either way, so long as you are as truthful with yourself and thhem in your self-assessment, you've done your best and that's more than good enough
Yea, I think it might be too much, but this is all they really do I think. It's always overwhelming at first rigt? They do have a sales team, but they are publicists too. It is a fairly small company.

I want to be in this field. Also, jobs, as you know, are in short supply. I almost think I don't have a choice in convincing them I can do the job.

Seriously, I want to be in PR, but I don't have experience in it. I was denied an interview because of my lack of experience. So, I'm even considering a master's degree in journalism or something, because I need to be able to say to a company "This is what I got. Hire me."

~Paulo Coelho
Old 11-28-11, 09:23 PM
Moderator of all seasons

I just thought I was a shoe in, really. They didn't have anything negative to say about me for the past month and a half or so. Maybe this has to do with the self-report problems Barkley has mentioned. Sometimes, I really don't understand myself.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 11-28-11, 09:23 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

are they thinking you didn't understand something because maybe you processed it outloud? That's happened to me a couple times. (uhm, I was just thinking outloud.... doesn't mean I don't understand, it means I think with my mouth in gear)

Anon, you know I would never say anything to be hurtful. So this might not feel very good. I'm sorry. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. There's skepticism, but it isn't 100%. Maybe 60% skeptical, but they have seen something that has made this not so cut and dry.

If you're going to stick with this, you're going to have to dazzle them. From one perspective, this can work to your favor. Doubters can be easier to dazzle. On the other side, a couple more oopsies can quickly tip things against you. Make sense?

Is there anyone you work with that has been there a couple years?? Maybe they can provide some insight as to how things have gone with other folks in your position.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-28-11)
Old 11-28-11, 09:27 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if there was a better way to have phrased that.... I tried. you're my friend, so I want to support you by responding.

I pondered it for an hour or so, and that's the best I can come up with.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-28-11)
Old 11-28-11, 09:39 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
are they thinking you didn't understand something because maybe you processed it outloud? That's happened to me a couple times. (uhm, I was just thinking outloud.... doesn't mean I don't understand, it means I think with my mouth in gear)
Honestly, I don't think I give myself the time to process things outloud.

I've been so worried about being perfect though. That and the nervousness probably contributed.

Quote:
Anon, you know I would never say anything to be hurtful. So this might not feel very good. I'm sorry. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. There's skepticism, but it isn't 100%. Maybe 60% skeptical, but they have seen something that has made this not so cut and dry.
I know you wouldn't Impetus. Yea, it's definitely not cut and dry. I can't control their skepticism and certainly this is another lesson to not look for work to get my needs met.

I'm puzzled that the interviews I got for my client, EVEN ONE I ASKED MY ******* STEPDAD FOR HELP WITH, seemed to have little weight in their overall evaluations with me.

I showed initiative, determination, and a belief in myself. Isn't that what companies are looking for?

Quote:
If you're going to stick with this, you're going to have to dazzle them. From one perspective, this can work to your favor. Doubters can be easier to dazzle. On the other side, a couple more oopsies can quickly tip things against you. Make sense?
I got multiple interests Impetus this past week, which was a holiday week. Holidays are usually slow so they say, but I don't think mine was. Are they looking for me to get a client on Dr. Oz?

The interests were NATIONAL publications, with a tremendously large circulation audience.

Dazzle them in what way?

People are like sheep and they are easy to deceive/persuade. I don't know that I want the possible "oopsies" in the back of my mind.

Quote:
Is there anyone you work with that has been there a couple years?? Maybe they can provide some insight as to how things have gone with other folks in your position.
What about trust and people going behind my back? I guess at this point it doesn't matter any more. I have one girl in mind that I seem to have a decent relationship with. Plus, my uncle was her chemistry professor in high school.

Should I tell her the situation flat out? I'm tired of being scared and worried about what I do. I'm about to say f*** it and go all out. At least I'll go out fighting.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 11-28-11, 09:40 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
Sorry if there was a better way to have phrased that.... I tried. you're my friend, so I want to support you by responding.

I pondered it for an hour or so, and that's the best I can come up with.
You're fine, and your effort was good enough.

~Paulo Coelho