ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 12-06-11, 08:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opportunity Strikes Anonymouslyadd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
The former. He'll let me work for him in about three months, at the earliest.
ok, that's confusing....

I'll have to ponder that.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-06-11)
Old 12-06-11, 08:18 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
ok, that's confusing....

I'll have to ponder that.
I mean does he want me to go on a retreat in the Himalayas? This is almost becoming comical.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-06-11, 08:35 PM

Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I mean does he want me to go on a retreat in the Himalayas? This is almost becoming comical.
well since you said it that way.... he can go suck a rock!
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-06-11), Blueranne (12-07-11), Unmanagable (12-13-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 09:09 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I was at toastmasters yesterday. I told a member and our president about what happened with this job.

At the end of the conversation, the member, a published author, asked me if I would be interested in publicizing his book. He was serious, and I showed some interest, cautiously.

I would love to do this, but I'm concerned about the business relationship mixing with Toastmasters. We get along fairly well and while he is not my best friend, he's a decent guy. Of course, I gotta make a living.

So many things would need to be done, and I have no clue how to do them. I have a business mind for sure, but I think it comes down to knowing what to do and implementing it appropriately. I would also need a business loan, which I think I could get with my credit score. Then, there's also the issue of this company being able to sue me over the next ten years if they feel I have taken clients from them.

Who knows.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-14-11)
Old 12-13-11, 09:40 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

Did you sign a non compete clause? Even if you did, 10 years would likely be viewed as exsesive if it went to court.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-13-11)
Old 12-13-11, 09:52 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I don't know anything about publicizing a book, but from what I know about how adhd affects me personally, I almost had a mini-breakdown when you listed all the things you'd have to get done to be able to do it.

Quote:
So many things would need to be done, and I have no clue how to do them. I have a business mind for sure, but I think it comes down to knowing what to do and implementing it appropriately. I would also need a business loan, which I think I could get with my credit score. Then, there's also the issue of this company being able to sue me over the next ten years if they feel I have taken clients from them.

But - you're right - you never know. Wishing you much luck in finding a source of income doing something you enjoy. ((((Hugs))))
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-13-11), namazu (12-14-11)
Old 12-13-11, 11:20 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueranne View Post
Did you sign a non compete clause? Even if you did, 10 years would likely be viewed as exsesive if it went to court.
I'm not sure what that means. I had the document reviewed by a lawyer, and she mentioned the red flags to me.

I just can't take existing clients away from them or take clients away from them in general.

It's really slick on there part. They do provide incredible training, including materials.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-13-11, 11:37 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

Most employers make you sign a non-compete clause which is what it sounds like you signed. But there are time and location limits on these, usually only one or two years and the location is limited to your state. However, if you change things up enough, put a slight spin on the survices you would offer then non-compete clauses can be bypassed... <--- This is all stuff I learned in my business law class, of course I have no idea if any of this is applicable in your situation. Hope, I didnt come accross as a smart@$$ I just though your post was interesting. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-14-11), namazu (12-14-11)
Old 12-14-11, 12:07 AM

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

My husband hired a guy that so blatantly violated his non-compete it was ridiculous.

He was beyond furious-but his company told him the amount of money it would take to file a suit and take it to court wasn't worth any kind of gain they could possible get out of it, so they bascally let it go for just what the company had paid for the guy to move.

A law suit is a very expensive no guarantee of return endeavor.

Hopefully this company that is not offering you full time employment isn't going to bust your chops about work you need to do to support yourself outside of their time. Which is another thing they are not allowed to do-keep you from finding a way to support yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-14-11), Impetus (12-14-11)
Old 12-14-11, 12:08 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueranne View Post
Most employers make you sign a non-compete clause which is what it sounds like you signed. But there are time and location limits on these, usually only one or two years and the location is limited to your state. However, if you change things up enough, put a slight spin on the survices you would offer then non-compete clauses can be bypassed... <--- This is all stuff I learned in my business law class, of course I have no idea if any of this is applicable in your situation. Hope, I didnt come accross as a smart@$$ I just though your post was interesting. Good luck!
No, it was fine. I appreciate your help. I would revisit the document, but I need to study.

Having this ten year crap is a little worrisome for me, but I really believe I can make it in this business. I like me lawyer too.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-14-11, 02:53 PM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Anon, is there any way that you are losing your position for any other reason than your performance or potential performance? What you have described about your performance to date does not sound like reason for them to not be confident in your ability. And it's a stretch, IMO, to expect you to go from 18 hours a week with 1 client to full time with 5 or 6 clients without some sort of learning curve having taken place.

I'm thinking along the lines of some internal political reason as to why they don't want to employ you full time. (what happened to the person who held your position before you started?) Probably no way for you to know it, but the fact that they are being rather evasive about what exactly is lacking in your performance is suspect.

And just wanted to add, I'm sorry this has happened...
The Following User Says Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-14-11)
Old 12-14-11, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmybully View Post
My husband hired a guy that so blatantly violated his non-compete it was ridiculous.

He was beyond furious-but his company told him the amount of money it would take to file a suit and take it to court wasn't worth any kind of gain they could possible get out of it, so they bascally let it go for just what the company had paid for the guy to move.

A law suit is a very expensive no guarantee of return endeavor.

Hopefully this company that is not offering you full time employment isn't going to bust your chops about work you need to do to support yourself outside of their time. Which is another thing they are not allowed to do-keep you from finding a way to support yourself.
^^^^

this... my MIL practices corporate law and risk managment, she said most of the waivers and non competes aren't worth the paper they're on. They're fake outs. If it isn't notarized, it's hard to prove it was you that signed it. Just sayin'...
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
BR549 (12-14-11)
Old 12-15-11, 12:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

VelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of light

I'm seeing a lot of red flags with this employer. The duration of your non-compete seems excessive by any standard. Many courts will throw out non-competes of even two years' duration, citing this as an excessive timeframe. I'm also wondering if this employer will come back to you next year and say, "Well, we can't hire you right now, but how about you do some PT contract work for us on a 1099?" If they're anything like the scumbuckets I and various colleagues have dealt with in the past, they may even try to dictate the terms of your work (have to work in-house, have to keep certain hours, have to use company equipment, etc.), but won't fork over the cash for your payroll and Social Security taxes. Watch out for this. It's illegal as per federal law. If the employer dictates your terms of employment, you're a W-2 employee, not a contractor, and anyone who agrees to these employment terms is bankrolling a scumbucket company's illegal efforts to save a buck.

JMO, but from this and from the accounts of colleagues who've dealt with similar behavior, I feel it's a blessing in disguise that this company did not extend a full-time offer to you. I suspect one reason for their strange behavior was not because you fell short on skills or output. Quite the opposite. They might be threatened by your talent and ability to bring in business with very little ramp-up time. You're entry level and already operating at a pro PR level. They might fear you could start your own business and become a serious competitor to them – hence the 10-year non-compete. Or, they might have brought you on to "pump" you for ideas and contacts, and let you go once they got their fill of picking your brain. This is sadly common in high-stakes professions that require a lot of insider knowledge and contacts. You'll see it all the time in sales, for example.

You really need to seek legal counsel. I doubt they can slap you down for freelancing, especially if this client you're courting has never engaged in business with this company, but if they are anything like the litigious people I know in my field, you might be in for some trouble. I would also keep looking for work at different PR firms. While this might have looked like a golden opportunity on paper, the more I learn about it, the more I believe it's going to amount to a lot of headache for you. Please also think long and hard about returning to work for them in several months. Doing so might bind you to terms that will seriously limit your career growth or ability to work at other firms – and the full-time offer may never materialize, either.
By the way (by the way
).

"Sludge Factory"

Magically bored on a quiet street corner
Free frustration in our minds and our toes
Quiet stormwater my, my, my generation
Uppers and downers, either way blood flows.

"5'15"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VelvetTiger For This Useful Post:
LynneC (12-15-11), namazu (12-15-11), sarek (12-15-11), Unmanagable (12-15-11)
Old 12-15-11, 01:01 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetTiger View Post
I suspect one reason for their strange behavior was not because you fell short on skills or output. Quite the opposite. They might be threatened by your talent and ability to bring in business with very little ramp-up time. You're entry level and already operating at a pro PR level. They might fear you could start your own business and become a serious competitor to them – hence the 10-year non-compete. Or, they might have brought you on to "pump" you for ideas and contacts, and let you go once they got their fill of picking your brain. This is sadly common in high-stakes professions that require a lot of insider knowledge and contacts.
You really think this is possible? I know I was good, and I think I'm well suited for the job. I would be shocked if they thought about me in that light.

Let's say your hypothesis is correct. Why put out the three to six month thing to me?

I suppose it's possible that they would give me. They have no allegiance to me, nor does any company.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-15-11, 01:24 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
Anon, is there any way that you are losing your position for any other reason than your performance or potential performance? What you have described about your performance to date does not sound like reason for them to not be confident in your ability. And it's a stretch, IMO, to expect you to go from 18 hours a week with 1 client to full time with 5 or 6 clients without some sort of learning curve having taken place.
They did say that this time of year was slow. Maybe that's one of the major reasons, and their "concerns" were bogus.

I've actually wondered if I've been somewhat delusional. My feelings have bordered on embarrassment due to how I've spoken about my performance and the job in general. My final judgment is a "no!" I was good!

Quote:
I'm thinking along the lines of some internal political reason as to why they don't want to employ you full time. (what happened to the person who held your position before you started?) Probably no way for you to know it, but the fact that they are being rather evasive about what exactly is lacking in your performance is suspect.
I have no clue. It's owned by a guy, with basically every person under him is a woman. Maybe I wasn't pretty enough?

I don't know enough about the company to come to any reasonable hypotheses. I do know that gossip did not exist, and their mission to clients seemed to resonate in the office.

I did not notice any bickering or competition among employees. It seemed like a genuinely, positive work environment.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
LynneC (12-15-11), namazu (12-15-11)