ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 12-15-11, 09:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opportunity Strikes Anonymouslyadd!

Quote:
They did say that this time of year was slow. Maybe that's one of the major reasons, and their "concerns" were bogus.

I've actually wondered if I've been somewhat delusional. My feelings have bordered on embarrassment due to how I've spoken about my performance and the job in general. My final judgment is a "no!" I was good!
Yes, exactly. Time to let it go. Stop second-guessing yourself. If it were me, I would contact them one more time to say that you'd like to be able to put this experience on your resume as a temp position, and ask if this is OK with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-15-11), namazu (12-15-11)
Old 12-16-11, 11:47 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
Yes, exactly. Time to let it go. Stop second-guessing yourself. If it were me, I would contact them one more time to say that you'd like to be able to put this experience on your resume as a temp position, and ask if this is OK with them.
I just sent the email.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
LynneC (12-16-11)
Old 12-16-11, 10:23 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I have no clue. It's owned by a guy, with basically every person under him is a woman. Maybe I wasn't pretty enough?

I don't know enough about the company to come to any reasonable hypotheses. I do know that gossip did not exist, and their mission to clients seemed to resonate in the office.

I did not notice any bickering or competition among employees. It seemed like a genuinely, positive work environment.
Completely random idea.... you are good, **** good, maybe even too good.

On more than one occassion, I've taken over a desk or accounts from other people and proceeded to knock their socks off! Offhand, I can think of three different women that accused me of deliberately making them look bad by doing a better job. (uhm, ok...)

Could it be that you inadvertently upset the balance?

in an office full of women, that could easily be the case.... and not to be offensive to anyone, but you may be a bit too hetero for a bunch of hens to welcome you into the inner circle of gossip.

if you do too good of a job, insecure people get all weird. One good employee cannot offset the contributions of 10 mediocre employees.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-16-11), Unmanagable (12-17-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-11, 01:21 AM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
Completely random idea.... you are good, **** good, maybe even too good.

On more than one occassion, I've taken over a desk or accounts from other people and proceeded to knock their socks off! Offhand, I can think of three different women that accused me of deliberately making them look bad by doing a better job. (uhm, ok...)

Could it be that you inadvertently upset the balance?

in an office full of women, that could easily be the case.... and not to be offensive to anyone, but you may be a bit too hetero for a bunch of hens to welcome you into the inner circle of gossip.

if you do too good of a job, insecure people get all weird. One good employee cannot offset the contributions of 10 mediocre employees.
I really know what you are talking about, but this company did not operate that way when I was in the office. I spent about a 25% of my time there.

The owner created an environment, either on purpose or by accident, that forced people to be nice and work well with each other. When I saw the people interact, there was professionalism and people were genuinely helpful and nice.

I was shocked at what I saw.

Maybe you are right....

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-22-11, 10:00 AM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get permission to list the job as a temp position?
The Following User Says Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-22-11)
Old 12-22-11, 12:20 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Yes.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
LynneC (12-22-11), namazu (12-22-11), VelvetTiger (12-26-11)
Old 06-05-12, 12:48 AM
Moderator of all seasons

I hate to drag this up, but I feel I must.

I'm going to be starting a business doing some of the things I did at the company, which I discuss throughout this thread. I'm going to be consulting a lawyer about what restrictions I may have and other concerns of mine due to what I signed.

I believe I mentioned in this thread that there's a non-compete clause this company made me sign when I began. I will be seeking counsel on how this 10-year clause will impact my new business.

I also have many materials, which the company gave me when I began, on my computer and throughout my home. They never asked for anything back.

I was hoping that I could work for them again around this time. They said they were willing to give me another opportunity in May, when they got busier. However, they never called/emailed me back as they said they would, and that's where I left it.

I hope I don't get screwed. I will be fuming mad.

Edit:

Quick synopsis:

I was hired as a publicist for a contract position. They were testing me. I had one client and my boss said I ran a good campain, my first ever. I got media attention from news organization across North America, including some of the most circulated publications.

After the campaign, I set up a meeting with the owner and my boss to discuss my future with the company. I was shocked at what I heard from the owner during the meeting. He said that they had some concerns about whether I could handle more clients. They cited my nervousness or my struggle to "let go," which they thought hindered me. They also mentioned a couple mistakes I made.

If you're able to browse this thread, you'll see me talking about how awesome things were going. That's the reason I was shocked during this meeting. I should have known, because the owner asked me what my thoughts were about everything.

I told my supervisor in the beginning of my work at this company that this had to work. I think I told her that if there was anything I could do better to please let me know then.

After our meeting when my campaign was complete, I was given about a week to call them back and decide a plan of action. Taking the advice from family, I decided to explain how confident I was in my abilities and that I could do the job. The owner followed my email up with "there seems to be some confusion. We said we had some concens..."

~Paulo Coelho

Last edited by anonymouslyadd; 06-05-12 at 01:18 AM..
Old 06-05-12, 01:32 AM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

AnonymouslyADD:

I have been reading your posts. Wow. Believe or not, every emotion you have experienced, the ups and downs, and the strange reaction to your job performance are not isolated occurrences. I have had similar experiences and so have others.

I think you made good decisions. I think you asked the right questions, raised the right concerns and tried to act in a professional manner. You may never know the reasons for your "former", I am assuming it's former, employer's behavior.

The non-compete clause is a toughie. I know that when I was a freelancer in the 70s, I was presented with a contract with a non-compete clause. Now, I am a stubborn person and red flags went up for me because to say I could not work in my field was crazy. I was a freelancer. So, I crossed out that part of the contract and gave it back to them and they accepted it.

My situation was different than yours. PR is a tough business.

The only other suggestion I would have regarding the non-complete clause is to just ignore it. As long as you do not take their clients, they should leave you alone. In order to enforce a non-compete clause they would have to pay for the services of a lawyer. Most people do not want to go to that expense.

If they send you a letter, you can always send one back stating that you are not practicing in their "area" and that they have no right to prevent you from working. Now, I am saying this without any legal knowledge and I could be all wrong. I just know that as a freelancer, I was small potatoes, so it was not worth the effort to prevent me from working with my client base.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to MX2012 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-05-12)
Old 06-05-12, 01:58 AM
Moderator of all seasons

MX2012,

Thank you for your post.

My company will not just focus on what the old company does. I want my company to offer something a little different to separate myself from them. However, I'm hoping to focus solely on what they do one day in the future, if that makes sense. I'm a pretty good writer, and I was good at the publicity thing.

I don't view PR as tough. I promote a cover band and frequently advise them on their facebook account and marketing techniques. They love my ideas and were voted one of the best bands in 2012 in my area. I also run a friend's facebook page, which has been gaining more traffic. I was made for PR.

I can do publicity, and it will enable me to do what I'm good at: writing. There aren't any other writing jobs out there other than tech writing, which is what got me fired.

The thing is that I will be starting out of my own condo, which is just minutes from where the old company is located. Hopefully, I'll be moving out west in the next few years. I already have a book to promote too.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 06-05-12, 03:21 AM

Thanked 5,574 Times in 2,408 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck Anon
anonymouslyadd (06-05-12)
Old 06-06-12, 12:55 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I hate to drag this up, but I feel I must.

I'm going to be starting a business doing some of the things I did at the company, which I discuss throughout this thread. I'm going to be consulting a lawyer about what restrictions I may have and other concerns of mine due to what I signed.

I believe I mentioned in this thread that there's a non-compete clause this company made me sign when I began. I will be seeking counsel on how this 10-year clause will impact my new business.

I also have many materials, which the company gave me when I began, on my computer and throughout my home. They never asked for anything back.

I was hoping that I could work for them again around this time. They said they were willing to give me another opportunity in May, when they got busier. However, they never called/emailed me back as they said they would, and that's where I left it.

I hope I don't get screwed. I will be fuming mad.

Edit:

Quick synopsis:

I was hired as a publicist for a contract position. They were testing me. I had one client and my boss said I ran a good campain, my first ever. I got media attention from news organization across North America, including some of the most circulated publications.

After the campaign, I set up a meeting with the owner and my boss to discuss my future with the company. I was shocked at what I heard from the owner during the meeting. He said that they had some concerns about whether I could handle more clients. They cited my nervousness or my struggle to "let go," which they thought hindered me. They also mentioned a couple mistakes I made.

If you're able to browse this thread, you'll see me talking about how awesome things were going. That's the reason I was shocked during this meeting. I should have known, because the owner asked me what my thoughts were about everything.

I told my supervisor in the beginning of my work at this company that this had to work. I think I told her that if there was anything I could do better to please let me know then.

After our meeting when my campaign was complete, I was given about a week to call them back and decide a plan of action. Taking the advice from family, I decided to explain how confident I was in my abilities and that I could do the job. The owner followed my email up with "there seems to be some confusion. We said we had some concens..."
Can anyone offer me some advice on my present predicament?

~Paulo Coelho
Old 06-06-12, 01:22 AM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

This was your first campaign, I would think that a few mistakes would not be unusual.

How many clients is a typical workload?

Concerns can be addressed and dealt with- is that what they wanted you to do is address their concerns with a plan to change them?

If you only worked on campaign is that truly long enough to be considered an employee and therefore obligated to anything?

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following User Says Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-06-12)
Old 06-06-12, 02:09 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbochica View Post
This was your first campaign, I would think that a few mistakes would not be unusual.

How many clients is a typical workload?

Concerns can be addressed and dealt with- is that what they wanted you to do is address their concerns with a plan to change them?

If you only worked on campaign is that truly long enough to be considered an employee and therefore obligated to anything?
A typical workload would be five or six clients.

With their concerns, I think they wanted to give me another opportunity to see how I would handle the pressure. I thought they would get in touch with me, like they said they would, to set up another time that I could work for them. It would be like a second tryout.

I'm not sure I fully understand you second question, but I'll try and answer it. Whether it was one, two, or three campaigns, I still signed a legal document, stating many things. The thing is that I wasn't really an employee of theirs. I was a contractor. The owner needed a way to avoid paying for disability, unemployment, etc. Thus, he created these positions so that they would be contractors.

I hope I answered your question.

~Paulo Coelho