ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-26-12, 11:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

full_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nice
A decision to make

Things have not been going to well for me at work. I often miss deadlines, forget important things (even though I try to keep myself covered with to do lists and memos), lose concentration in the middle of a job, take too long to finish things, etc...

One of my superiors talked to me today and asked me if I think this position might be beyond my abilities. In truth, I think it is. He said to think about it until Monday.

I really feel I want to be honest and say yes, but the are a couple of negative possibilities;
1) There are no other positions that suit you, so we need to let you go.
2) We have this position, but you'll have to take a pay cut (I'm thinking at least a 3rd).

If I stay in this position, I'm sure I will eventually get fired and cause problems for my coworkers is the process- which I don't want to do.
Not being to keep up with the demands of this postion and always catching flack from my supervisor has my stress/ anxiety and depression levels maxed out.

Anyone have any advice?
    へ
    じ

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important."

Bertrand Russell
Old 01-27-12, 02:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,149 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A decision to make

I know that things may be handled differently in Japan than they would be here. Would it be possible to ask, prior to answering yes, what your other options would be? Something along the lines of "I've been thinking about our discussion. I want to be honest in my answer but I feel in order to do that, I need to know what my options within the company/department/position are if 1) I say that I think I am able to do this job and 2) if I say I'm not.

Not that answering you with either the first or second scenario will make a difference in you answering honestly. Just that sometimes it's better to know upfront what your options are. It might make everything look clearer.

I know that if I have to speculate as to a potential outcome or negative outcome it tends to make the situation more stressful for me. If I have concrete options, such as "if you do or don't this, there's a 95% chance that eventually XYZ will happen", I tend to make better decisions. I'm not caught up worrying about the what-ifs.

I'm not sure I've said this ^ right. It sounded much better in my head.....

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
Abi (04-02-12), buddy (04-03-12), full_throttle (01-28-12), namazu (04-02-12), OneRubySlipper (01-30-12), purpleToes (06-13-12)
Old 01-27-12, 08:05 AM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Things have not been going to well for me at work. I often miss deadlines, forget important things (even though I try to keep myself covered with to do lists and memos), lose concentration in the middle of a job, take too long to finish things, etc...

One of my superiors talked to me today and asked me if I think this position might be beyond my abilities. In truth, I think it is. He said to think about it until Monday.

I really feel I want to be honest and say yes, but the are a couple of negative possibilities;
1) There are no other positions that suit you, so we need to let you go.
2) We have this position, but you'll have to take a pay cut (I'm thinking at least a 3rd).

If I stay in this position, I'm sure I will eventually get fired and cause problems for my coworkers is the process- which I don't want to do.
Not being to keep up with the demands of this postion and always catching flack from my supervisor has my stress/ anxiety and depression levels maxed out.

Anyone have any advice?
I hate it when they do that.... overhere, or at least in my office. That means I have no choice. My boss is changing my job, whether I like it or not, and you can well bet it's going to be exactly what I don't want to do!
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
full_throttle (01-28-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-12, 01:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

GeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to behold

Awhhh I am so sorry to hear this I've been in similar positions before but I got sacked instead... It's really upsetting.

I wish you all the best!
The Following User Says Thank You to GeordieDave For This Useful Post:
full_throttle (01-28-12)
Old 01-28-12, 02:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

full_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nicefull_throttle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
I know that things may be handled differently in Japan than they would be here. Would it be possible to ask, prior to answering yes, what your other options would be? Something along the lines of "I've been thinking about our discussion. I want to be honest in my answer but I feel in order to do that, I need to know what my options within the company/department/position are if 1) I say that I think I am able to do this job and 2) if I say I'm not.

Not that answering you with either the first or second scenario will make a difference in you answering honestly. Just that sometimes it's better to know upfront what your options are. It might make everything look clearer.

I know that if I have to speculate as to a potential outcome or negative outcome it tends to make the situation more stressful for me. If I have concrete options, such as "if you do or don't this, there's a 95% chance that eventually XYZ will happen", I tend to make better decisions. I'm not caught up worrying about the what-ifs.

I'm not sure I've said this ^ right. It sounded much better in my head.....
Thank you BR549. I would really like to know what my options will be, but the problem is the president and his son will make the decision, but they haven't heard anything about this yet. This was set up by one of my superiors and my super.

If I decided not to give an answer, I'm sure they will both post complaints about me to the president and I will be gone for sure. The can't honestly predict what the president will say, only what their intentions are.

I trust my superior, but not my super. He is a snake at times and has been trying to get rid of my for a while. My superior would actually try to help me find a new position if I said my job is too difficult at the moment. But my super will use this chance to try and bury me.

If I answer I can do it, than they will both make my life a living hell until I eventually get canned. I know this without asking...

I'm still thinking it over, but no matter what my answer will be, I'm preparing for the worst.
    へ
    じ

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important."

Bertrand Russell
Old 01-28-12, 02:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Impetus- Thank you. I'm sure my next position will stink for sure if I decide to transfer.

GeordieDave- Sorry to here about you getting let go. But thank you for the word of kindness.
    へ
    じ

Bertrand Russell
The Following User Says Thank You to full_throttle For This Useful Post:
GeordieDave (01-28-12)
Old 01-28-12, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

Are you working for a Japanese company or multinational company based in Japan. I have had some experience working in Japan and it can be tough, for anybody. It's a culture of work, work, and work. What industry/field are you working in?

Usually talking to the person who will make the decision will help. But this is often taboo in Japanese work culture, as there is a very strict hierarchy. Are you in Japan because of work or for other reasons? My only advice is to try not to be overwhelmed with the negative possibilities and just continue doing what you have been doing and try to no think about the worst case scenario. I'm hoping that something will be worked out and I wish you all the best, keep us updated.
The Following User Says Thank You to cameron90 For This Useful Post:
full_throttle (01-29-12)
Old 01-28-12, 04:48 PM
Contributor

shamrock has a spectacular aura aboutshamrock has a spectacular aura about

If you really believe they are going to push you out would they agree to give you references if you went now? I would rather leave in January with references than in February with none.
The Following User Says Thank You to shamrock For This Useful Post:
full_throttle (01-29-12)
Old 01-29-12, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron90 View Post
Are you working for a Japanese company or multinational company based in Japan. I have had some experience working in Japan and it can be tough, for anybody. It's a culture of work, work, and work. What industry/field are you working in?

Usually talking to the person who will make the decision will help. But this is often taboo in Japanese work culture, as there is a very strict hierarchy. Are you in Japan because of work or for other reasons? My only advice is to try not to be overwhelmed with the negative possibilities and just continue doing what you have been doing and try to no think about the worst case scenario. I'm hoping that something will be worked out and I wish you all the best, keep us updated.
I'm in manufacturing. I work for a small Japanese company. The hierarchy is well within place here. I would make no friends by going over anyone's head. I'm sometimes at a loss of how I should go about getting something done, because the culture can be so different. Usually I become aware that I did something wrong, only after I've step in it.
    へ
    じ

Bertrand Russell

Last edited by full_throttle; 01-29-12 at 06:50 PM..
Old 01-29-12, 06:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I have decided that I'll just tell them that I'm having a hard time handling the position and let the chips fall where they may. If I continue with my current position, I'm sure to crash and burn. Thank you everyone for the advice and words of encouragement. I will post an update once the smoke clears. Wish me luck. (^ v ^)b
    へ
    じ

Bertrand Russell
BR549 (02-02-12)
Old 01-29-12, 06:48 PM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all

I had a simmiler choice a few years ago and I decided to stick it out. I was fired after a bit but do not regret what my choice was. Have you started looking else where? Is this an option? I know that right now the job market is not the best, but you have to think of your own self worth and how to protect you. If you can stay on even at a lower pay rate that may be the answer for now, but keep looking. Dont let your health suffer because you think you have to bite the bullet. good luck and let us know.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to lunaslobo For This Useful Post:
full_throttle (01-29-12)
Old 01-30-12, 04:46 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I told my superior today that I think the position is too difficult for me at the moment. In turn, he will tell the head foreman tomorrow who will discuss it with the president and vice president. This actually may work out for me. Originally I just wanted to do machining, but I was kind of pushed into this position. I might actually be able to learn machining now. I am of course being optimistic.

Tomorrow I should have some real news.
    へ
    じ

Bertrand Russell
Old 02-02-12, 06:18 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

The head foreman talked to me today. He said he wants me to keep on trying for at least another 6 months. He gave me some encouraging words and left it at that.

He did mentioned that if what I said went to the president, there might not be a next step- meaning termination, so just try your best (sound familiar anyone) and things will get better and easier.

I felt like I was in high school again. I guess he is looking out for my intrests and wants to see me do well, although he really doesn't get it. I'll probably get arrested for aggravated assult on my supervisor before the six months are up. d(^ v ^)b...j/k.(maybe). The talk did boost my motivation a little, but I'm sure it will be sucked out of me tomorrow by my super.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
    へ
    じ

Bertrand Russell
BR549 (02-02-12)
Old 02-02-12, 09:25 AM

Thanked 30,751 Times in 14,141 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

If you know of any open positions that are more suitable or more applicable could you apply for them or express an interest in them?

I know, it's tough when you are stuck in a position that is not suitable or just too overwhelming. I hope things get better soon. :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Abi (04-02-12), full_throttle (02-02-12)
Old 04-02-12, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I applied for another job today. It is a teaching job with good income. About 20 others applied for the same job, so I dunno what'll come of it.

I was sitting on the fence about it and then I got an e-mail that my grandmother had a massive stroke. She isn't expected to live long. But it really made me think about how short life is and made me ask "Why punish ourselves everyday doing something we can't stand?", so I send in my app.

The deadline is pretty much over, so I couldn't put a lot of work into my cover letter. Just the basics. I hope my experience is enough to make up for that bit.

Wish me luck. (^ - ^)v
    へ
    じ

Bertrand Russell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to full_throttle For This Useful Post:
BR549 (04-03-12), Rebelyell (04-25-12), Unmanagable (04-03-12)