ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 08-30-08, 10:44 PM

PROcrastination is on a distinguished road
Question anyone get WAY more energy on Strattera?

Just curious if anyone out there has felt WAY more energetic on Strattera. I've always heard that Strattera causes fatigue for a lot of people, but for me it definitely quintupled my endurance, at least! (Sadly, I'm not taking that anymore but am on Focalin XR and sometimes it seems to work; other times I'm a zombie).

Pre-ADHD meds, I used to need to sleep 9-10 hours/night (and even then would need naps), was a useless zombie on even 7 hours. Enter Strattera...and then I was getting by on 5-6 hours during the week, was able to recover more quickly from a number of all-nighters I had to pull occasionally that semester, and only ever needed max of 8 hours sleep on weekend nights to catch up after really busy weeks.

Plus, I wonder if it made me more hyper...I felt like I became the "class clown" and was doing so many projects, working ALL the time by choice; I thought I was going to "take over the world" (not in a crazy way, just that I felt this huge urge and ability to make up for all the time I'd "lost" while unmedicated for ADHD).

Anyone else relate to that? Is that weird/atypical? Lately I've also become concerned that I may have undiagnosed bipolar and am wondering if that might have been some sort of (hypo)manic response to the Strattera. Anyway, right now I really miss it, because I am getting NOTHING done on just the Focalin!
The Following User Says Thank You to PROcrastination For This Useful Post:
jaspero (09-13-08)
Old 08-31-08, 11:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold
Re: anyone get WAY more energy on Strattera?

Im finding norepinephrine helps me in ways I never imagined... unfortunately the only time I get it is through the Wellbutrin somewhat... official sources state that Wellbutrin is twice as potent a dopamine reuptake inhibitor as it is an norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.
Old 08-31-08, 01:29 PM
Forum Guru

Prusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROcrastination View Post
Just curious if anyone out there has felt WAY more energetic on Strattera. I've always heard that Strattera causes fatigue for a lot of people, but for me it definitely quintupled my endurance, at least! (Sadly, I'm not taking that anymore but am on Focalin XR and sometimes it seems to work; other times I'm a zombie).

Pre-ADHD meds, I used to need to sleep 9-10 hours/night (and even then would need naps), was a useless zombie on even 7 hours. Enter Strattera...and then I was getting by on 5-6 hours during the week, was able to recover more quickly from a number of all-nighters I had to pull occasionally that semester, and only ever needed max of 8 hours sleep on weekend nights to catch up after really busy weeks.

Plus, I wonder if it made me more hyper...I felt like I became the "class clown" and was doing so many projects, working ALL the time by choice; I thought I was going to "take over the world" (not in a crazy way, just that I felt this huge urge and ability to make up for all the time I'd "lost" while unmedicated for ADHD).

Anyone else relate to that? Is that weird/atypical? Lately I've also become concerned that I may have undiagnosed bipolar and am wondering if that might have been some sort of (hypo)manic response to the Strattera. Anyway, right now I really miss it, because I am getting NOTHING done on just the Focalin!
Hey, I'm sorry, I can't help with your problem, but I was wondering how come you don't take Stratterra anymore, when helped you so much?

I have quite debilitating problems with inertia and lack of ability initiating actions and am going on meds some time in the future, so I read up on the different meds right now, and your thread just made me reconsider Stratterra, which on first glance didn't look like it would benefit me.

I'm hoping some others have your experience with Strattera.

How long have you been off it?

Now I'm thinking about your thought about bipolar. If you're bipolar you should be "able" to have such periods without Stratterra, right, and they would pop up every once in a while?
Old 08-31-08, 01:58 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Norepinephrine makes me aroused in things... like Im interested in things and they dont bother/anxietise me. My trains of though, other humans, activities I'm engaging in or about to, etc.
Old 08-31-08, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusilusken View Post
Hey, I'm sorry, I can't help with your problem, but I was wondering how come you don't take Stratterra anymore, when helped you so much?

I have quite debilitating problems with inertia and lack of ability initiating actions and am going on meds some time in the future, so I read up on the different meds right now, and your thread just made me reconsider Stratterra, which on first glance didn't look like it would benefit me.

I'm hoping some others have your experience with Strattera.

How long have you been off it?
That's a very good question...I did not want to quit Strattera, but my doctor (does pdoc=psychiatrist or primary physician?) did not want me to take Strattera and a stimulant at the same time. I felt strongly that Strattera helped me IMMENSELY in just about every area of my life (and I was truly overjoyed about this!), EXCEPT for some of the more important executive functions, and so after a very brief period of being on Strattera and a stimulant, he had me quit Strattera. This was before we'd really honed what was going on with the stimulant (first it was Methylin, and now various combos of Focalin XR and IR), which really annoyed me, but I digress...

For example, although I was motivated, energetic, more able to start and complete projects, more able to speak clearly without bungling trains of thought, actually able to listen to people even when they were talking about boring things, could actually SEE more crisply because the info from my eyes was somehow being more clearly transmitted to my brain (!) etc. etc. I was NOT able to:
have any awareness of time (hyperfocused on the wrong parts of projects, still ran late for everything, could not estimate to save my life how long anything would take me

structure/plan multi-step projects or writing without MUCH effort

other stuff which I can't remember offhand now (should have written it down, I guess)
Basically I thought everything was GREAT with Strattera except that it needed a little something "more". I got maximum benefit at 80 mg--tried 100 but was VERY irritable and had a tendency to get unnecessarily weepy over stupid things, with no payoff for the higher dose. I was still more irritable than "normal" on Strattera at any dose, but I actually found this a welcome change (usually) since before I'd often felt like I was too accommodating.

So we tried adding stimulants to the Strattera, and to make a long story short the responses seemed inconsistent. I'm an extremely fast metabolizer and sometimes the stims seemed to last only a couple hours, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. And the "crash" from the stims brought me down much lower than the Strattera "baseline", which was disappointing. So the doctor's thought was that maybe the Strattera was making these stims not behave properly. It sounded like weird logic to me--if Strat. was working before and stims made it weird, why not try other, different stims before cutting the thing that worked?

Anyway, I think Strattera is definitely worth trying. Also, something you might like to know is that I did NOT have most of the side effects that people complain about. It sounds like it's h*** in a bottle for lots of people, but I was very lucky! Had some insomnia that eventually went away. Let's see, there was maybe 30 seconds (literally!) of nausea one day, and that was it. Maybe anxiety, but I was having a very stressful semester so who knows which component of my life caused that.

I'm not sure it will give you the energy it gave me since my doctor seemed puzzled that it did that to me. Please feel free to ask me any questions you want about the Strattera--I still feel very fondly for it (I went into "mourning" at having to quit it! hope that wasn't some sort of addiction).

I've only been off it for a little over a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusilusken View Post
Now I'm thinking about your thought about bipolar. If you're bipolar you should be "able" to have such periods without Stratterra, right, and they would pop up every once in a while?
Yes, I did have those periods occasionally before Strattera, and have had a bit of it, randomly, since stopping. I think the big difference was that it was more constant with Strattera. On Strattera I think I spent half of the day feeling elated/on top of the world/like I'd finally be able to do all those brilliant genius things I felt I was capable of, and the other half of the day (at work) feeling incredibly irritated at my current dumb job!

Those periods definitely popped up now and then; sometimes they seemed related to incredible ideas I had for projects--would get totally charged with energy and work on them constantly and, yes, I think I got by with less sleep during those times, and then I would crash. Definitely had/have "cycles" of inspiration-crash, build up again, repeat. I never kept good track of any of that, though, so I don't know what was causing what.

I don't know if I answered your question or not--I think I am getting off track, so I will stop for now! But feel free to let me know if I didn't answer your question (or if you have more Strattera questions) and I will be very happy to answer.
Old 08-31-08, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincan View Post
Norepinephrine makes me aroused in things... like Im interested in things and they dont bother/anxietise me. My trains of though, other humans, activities I'm engaging in or about to, etc.
Me too--definitely was very interested in lots of things. I didn't have the benefit you got with being less bothered by things, unfortunately--but it did help me try to work harder at trying to fix them!
Old 08-31-08, 03:38 PM
Contributor

Colin is on a distinguished road

Im going thru the process of restarting meds with a new doc and so far ive tried far higher dose or ritalin than before. the high dose didnt seem to be any diferent at all wich is odd.

ritalin suposedly afects dopamine but i read somewhere low doses of ritalin also afect norapeneprine.

I know dexedrine works well for me and that affects both. its interesting stratera made you less tired as my major problem is major tiredness. however it seems yours was an atypical response, I may be sltightly more keen to try it if thats what he recomends.

im sure the ritalin helps my executive functiong though wich is promising. i just need something to take away the constant drowsiness. at the moment only extreme anger wakes me up but this usualy has a high price to pay.
Old 08-31-08, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Im going thru the process of restarting meds with a new doc and so far ive tried far higher dose or ritalin than before. the high dose didnt seem to be any diferent at all wich is odd.

ritalin suposedly afects dopamine but i read somewhere low doses of ritalin also afect norapeneprine.

I know dexedrine works well for me and that affects both. its interesting stratera made you less tired as my major problem is major tiredness. however it seems yours was an atypical response, I may be sltightly more keen to try it if thats what he recomends.

im sure the ritalin helps my executive functiong though wich is promising. i just need something to take away the constant drowsiness. at the moment only extreme anger wakes me up but this usualy has a high price to pay.
I think it was an atypical response so definitely discuss your situation thoroughly with your doctor--I believe I have heard of people sometimes having more energy on Strattera but I haven't heard of anything as dramatic as what I experienced. I'm most definitely not a doctor, and I don't want to lead anyone astray with my experiences!

I am seeing my doctor again on Thursday, and I think we are going to be readdressing some concerns I've brought up before about maybe being bipolar in addition to the ADHD (which is for sure!) I doubt I'll come away with any sort of actual new diagnosis but I will update here about that if it happens and seems relevant to the Strattera (such as, if it turns out I'm bipolar that might explain the reaction I had to the Strattera, in which case it may have been an unhealthy reaction, and people shouldn't get their hopes up!)

Oh, I forgot to mention in the initial post that I was also drinking a lot of coffee while I was on Strattera, BUT I drank a lot of coffee before I was on Strattera, and it didn't give me much energy at all at that point (could go to sleep after drinking coffee sometimes!) Maybe the combination of the two is potent somehow? I don't know; just a guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to PROcrastination For This Useful Post:
Colin (08-31-08)
Old 09-01-08, 07:08 AM
Contributor

Colin is on a distinguished road

Ive been doing a bit more browsing on this as i came across it as a treatment for narcolepsy to treat excessive daytinme sleepiness, so there must be something to it, although the recomendation to perservere with the side effects for 3-4 weeks sounds grim, if i get any worse from the side effects I would need some help just to survive.

however the wiki site on startera doesnt sugest its use for narcolepsy.

I also notice stratera is a norapeneprine agonist, and ritalin is a dopamine agonist, I do well on dexedrine wich is an agnoist for both, i feel i get the control with ritalin so presumably dopamine does this, and presumablye norapeneprine helps with the tiredness.

The best i get so far is from anger, it wakes me up instantly, wich is adrenaline/(norapeneprine?) , however this usualy doesnt come with any sense of self control, but this is probably as much to do with the state of mind that goes with anger.

however i have noticed breif and suden feelings of anger have woken me up enough and alowed me to perform far better than normal, but only when the actual state of mind has been intense but fleeting and not so unpleasant as to put me in a bad mood wich tbh has probably only hapened about once to a degree wich is very memorable.
Old 09-01-08, 10:48 AM

Ritalin is not a dopamine agonist... amphetamines are.. but not methylphenidate... it is simply a dopamine reuptake inhibitor... it does not "agonise" or "release" dopamine from the vesticles.

Strattera is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor... it doesn't release norepinephrine.
Old 09-01-08, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Ive been doing a bit more browsing on this as i came across it as a treatment for narcolepsy to treat excessive daytinme sleepiness, so there must be something to it, although the recomendation to perservere with the side effects for 3-4 weeks sounds grim, if i get any worse from the side effects I would need some help just to survive.
Here's a link toward some "official" information about Strattera--this information is geared more toward pharmacists than toward patients or a general audience (it's long, dense, and much less readable, so pick a time when your attention span is at its best):
http://www.healthyplace.com/Medications/strattera.asp

The information on this site looks to me to be the exact same material that I received with my Strattera prescription, which is why I posted the link (since we can't upload files--otherwise I would have scanned my pamphlet). I preferred reading this over the watered-down patient-oriented information that also came with my prescription, but I did have to be in the right mood to read it!

I don't recall there being a mention of narcolepsy in that information, but it's always possible that some people may be unofficially using it for that purpose. However, my disclaimer: I don't know and am just guessing, so as always please take my comments with a grain of salt!

Quote:
I also notice stratera is a norapeneprine agonist, and ritalin is a dopamine agonist, I do well on dexedrine wich is an agnoist for both, i feel i get the control with ritalin so presumably dopamine does this, and presumablye norapeneprine helps with the tiredness.
Thanks for this info--somehow in all the reading I did on ADHD meds, I'd either missed or forgotten that dexedrine affects both dopamine and norepinephrine. I may ask my doctor if I can try that next, since the Focalin just isn't cutting it for me.

Quote:
The best i get so far is from anger, it wakes me up instantly, wich is adrenaline/(norapeneprine?) , however this usualy doesnt come with any sense of self control, but this is probably as much to do with the state of mind that goes with anger.

however i have noticed breif and suden feelings of anger have woken me up enough and alowed me to perform far better than normal, but only when the actual state of mind has been intense but fleeting and not so unpleasant as to put me in a bad mood wich tbh has probably only hapened about once to a degree wich is very memorable.
I am just curious if you have always felt that way (with the anger) or if it happens to you more on your meds. Unfortunately I don't have any advice about that but am interested in your experiences, since I have had anger issues on and off through my life. I know that NOTHING gets me to focus like somebody telling me that I "can't" do some project I've set my mind on or that it's "impossible"--that sends me off into a huge, almost obsessively-focused flurry of activity to prove them wrong--which I usually do (not to mention that I really DO want to do the project in question!) So I guess that's focused anger for me.
Old 09-01-08, 02:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

willzzz has a spectacular aura aboutwillzzz has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: anyone get WAY more energy on Strattera?

ignore this, started my own thread...
Old 09-13-08, 04:42 AM
Jr Member

jaspero is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: anyone get WAY more energy on Strattera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROcrastination View Post

Exactly the same man! Its a god send, really is...check out my success story in that forum topic! Love it to bits, only thing i notice, sometimes im a little bit quick to get angry....but generally im the best part of me more often! The happy, funny...silly but now motivated, effective in my work.I've never been happier!

Glad someone can relate to this =)
Old 02-15-09, 10:56 AM
Jr Member

hacsince91 is on a distinguished road

I totally agree !
For procrastination and jaspero:
how many mg's are you both on??
Im a 17 year old female, and strattera does WONDERS for me too.
Makes me feel energized! 100x better than when I used to not be medicated for ADHD. I think I'm a fast metabolizer though and kind of feel like a freak...I have to take over 100 mg and I weigh about 130 lbs(almost 6 feet tall.)

Can u both relate at all to a high dosage??
Old 02-15-09, 10:58 AM
Jr Member

hacsince91 is on a distinguished road

Oh and also, seperately:

Does anyone take strattera and also another ADHD med with it during certain points of the day?? Ive heard thats also an option.