ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-01-12, 10:35 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold
Re: What kind of environment would you THRIVE in?

Somewhere on a farm.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twiggy For This Useful Post:
Joker_Girl (05-02-12), Unmanagable (05-02-12)
Old 05-02-12, 08:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
academic research environment where everyone can work individually or collaboratvely as their mood suits them.

no deadlines.

no specific working hours.

option to telecommute at least 20 of a 40 hour work week
This sounds perfect. Although I'd still need deadlines, but then after the deadline I'd need unlimited extensions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-12-12), Drewbacca (05-03-12)
Old 05-02-12, 08:40 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

around animals, somewhere with constant stimulation, things always happening (not disasters, but just stuff going on, that needs being done, etc).

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-12, 12:48 AM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

A world in which it was every man/woman for him/herself. I feel like a lot of my deficiencies would not work against me so much in a world without all of the protections that this one offers. In our world, you can be too lazy to walk seven miles, and yet still hold a $100,000 job doing nothing that is technically productive. In this world, being well rounded in education is seldom a benefit. Being smart is only beneficial to the employer who owns your ideas in this day and age. We reward those who study for the test rather than test to see what has been studied. I haven't met many NTs that are as diverse in interests and skills as we are. I haven't met many NTs with the same level of fight that we have. In this world, those differences don't matter. If the world came crashing down, I think that many of our relative disadvantages would become relative advantages... if for no other reason, because we've already been living in that chaotic world and have tons of practice versus the new arrivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuregeek View Post
I don't know exactly what it'd involve, but -- something involving constant travel.

I love it when I'm on the road; everything is always new and interesting.
But, since we are in this world...
Mind if I join you?
Old 05-03-12, 01:54 AM

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,112 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Somewhere on a farm.

I grew up around farming, we had cattle and crops, I always enjoyed helping my dad with this.

I find things like this very calming, things where i can be alone and work in the garden, or caring for animals. I just had surgery and it is killing me. My husband tilled my garden and planted it for me but i desperately want to go out and work in it. I enjoy being outside a great deal. I'm excited this year because i have two new crops....Broccoli and Okra. I hope they turn out. Hubby had to put it all in for me. I also have Radishes, Cucumbers, Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, Peppers, Watermelon, Pumpkins, Green Onions, and I want to put in corn, even though it seems stupid as my friends all have corn. I am on crutches, but ive hobbled out a few times, to make sure things are like i want them. Ive also decided that i want a small herb garden, which i have decided to grow in containers. And of course, i have flowers, and bushes, and fruit trees.

I love to put up my harvest, i like to can and freeze and make pickles and jellies. It's very rewarding.

I tried to get chickens so i could have eggs, but we are in town (a town of 1200, so i am not sure why it matters) and i got narcked out.

Something about things like this are rewarding to me, and i guess i would be a fantastic hippie. I like nature a great deal. I like to fish, I like to hunt. I like to go looking for mushrooms when they are in season (the EATING kind...lol). I just like to be outside messing around. I even like to do stuff like put a coat of stain on the deck.

So I guess the ideal environment for me would be outside, where i do not have someone harping and nagging on me, where i can find something to keep myself occupied.

I also love to cook, and I enjoy crafts like making beaded jewelry etc.

I would really probably be a good hippie.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joker_Girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-03-12), Sandy4957 (06-03-12)
Old 05-03-12, 02:17 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I am at my best in an advisory position involving analysing problems, coming up with solutions. Indicating different scenarios that can be followed. Explaining things to people and teaching and instructing individuals or groups of at most two or three.

I am in the small business accounting world and sadly only about 10% of my work is of the above kind. The rest is pure mindless drudgery.
Old 05-03-12, 02:28 AM

Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,424 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, my mind hasn't conceived of such an environment yet. That probably means there's something wrong with me (that I can't think of a real-world type environment which would lead to thriving).

As to the enviroment that I'm best suited for, at home being unemployed and being as slovenly as humanly possible (especially the lazily slipshod definition). I can't say I've ever even remotely thrived anywhere, and lack the capacity to imagine such a place.

EDIT: Inside a futuristic hospital filled with top-ranked neurosurgeons, and if they failed, I would be given cutting-edge psychostimulants.
Old 05-03-12, 03:58 AM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

On my own, listening to music, around many books, on top of a lookout mountain with a radio telescope, lots of snacks and one cat.
Oh yes, and somewhere I'm free to make annoying sounds.
Old 05-03-12, 04:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

SpartanWoman is on a distinguished road

On stage, singing. Or at a Starbucks.

... with my personal assistant emailing or texting me the next thing I need to focus on... and checking in with me every 20 minutes to make sure I'm on-task.

(pretty much my life now. Just gotta work on getting to Starbucks more, and finding that personal assistant!)

------------------------------------------------------------
|| Diagnoses : ADHD | BD-NOS | BPD | PTSD | Anxiety-NOS ||
-----------------------------------------------------------
Medications:
Adderall 20 in AM then 10mg twice after // Abilify 15mg

Old 05-03-12, 04:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

SpartanWoman is on a distinguished road

I'll add "surrounded by adoring fans" to my list above. I'm an attention hog. =P

------------------------------------------------------------
|| Diagnoses : ADHD | BD-NOS | BPD | PTSD | Anxiety-NOS ||
-----------------------------------------------------------
Medications:
Adderall 20 in AM then 10mg twice after // Abilify 15mg

Old 05-03-12, 10:18 AM

Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,334 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuregeek View Post
Aside from some of its more obvious downsides, the military was a great career for me. As a rule, there's one most important thing to concentrate on at all times; you're constantly kept on your toes; there's a steady trickle of rewards for your accomplishments, large and small; the energy level is consistently high. If it wasn't for a few of the major downsides (some of which involve politics) I might still be there.
Yeh i was a soldier too. People ask me what happened in Iraq all the time but i dont ever tell them. Its real life at its ugliest. I never told this to anyone but when my company landed in Iraq on a c-130 plane and the back hatch ramp was lowering....soldiers were ******* there pants and some refused to get off the plane out of sheer fear. The smell of urine was terrible.
We were all in full chemical suits expecting the worst "weapons of mass destruction". Everyone was full of anxiety and there i was....completely detached and calm. I remember actually feeling alive and aware and everything in my being felt smooth and fluid. I was ready to fight for my life and i loved it.
Nothing happened....we ended up setting up tent cabals in Iraq and caring for surrendering Iraqi's for a year. I got depressed and bored and shutdown for most of it...every other memory is just a blur.

Yeah i believe i was meant for live and death action. I enjoy boxing and competing in martial arts, it really brings out an awakeness i cant get anywhere else. Unfortunatly my body is too damaged to do that anymore lol so now i play guitar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
LeoJ (06-10-12), Sandy4957 (06-03-12)
Old 05-28-12, 08:52 PM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 796 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Somewhere on a farm.
love animals and plants,but how would that work with routines ??
Old 05-28-12, 09:16 PM

Thanked 11,549 Times in 6,102 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Tropical beach and paradise w lots of fruits and vegetables.nanas pineapples,coconuts mangoes etc.
Old 05-28-12, 09:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

a quiet place with a few close friends.

We may not be able to find our way out of a paper bag, but we can design nuclear sunglasses.

Everything can be a gift, depending on how you look at it.

You don't like me? That's funny, because I don't live to please you.
Old 05-28-12, 10:17 PM

zoekate has a spectacular aura aboutzoekate has a spectacular aura about

On board the USS Enterprise.

Challenge, much reduced daily chores (replicators to make meals! holodecks for endless entertainment!) and structure and um... yeah.