ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-19-12, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sir5r1 has a spectacular aura aboutSir5r1 has a spectacular aura about
ADHD the ADA and reality

Has anyone here had any accommodations for their ADHD?
All I'm looking for is another chance as I began treatment and I'm up for termination due to typical ADHD work issues.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
Old 05-19-12, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD the ADA and reality

I haven't, but I've been thinking about looking into it. Hasn't gotten me too far yet

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-19-12, 07:08 PM

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

With the ADA, you don't have to disclose your specific disability just that you have one. You can try, it doesn't harm you at this point.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-12, 07:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of accommodations do you think you would need at the workplace that the ADA could help you with? If I was your employer, that would be my biggest question to you as far as how ADHD could be accommodated in the workplace.

Legally they have to provide you a workplace that is safe and accessible to you, regardless of your disability status. For someone in a wheelchair, that's pretty obvious - ramps, making sure things are within arm's reach, etc. For someone with ADHD, that's a lot stickier of a question.

Do they allow you to be late every morning without fear of repercussions? Do they provide you with more structure and organization than the average employee? Do they allow you to get up and take a break every X number of hours so that you can stretch your legs and rest your brain? These aren't rhetorical questions, I really don't know what kind of accommodation a workplace would be required to give for ADHD.

The reason it's difficult is because yes, if you are disabled then they have to accommodate you. But they also have to run a productive workplace, and they can't do that if they have coworkers who are missing deadlines, coming into work late, not on task, etc. I do not mean for this to sound negative because I'm not trying to be negative towards you or anyone else who is disabled due to ADHD. I'm just playing devil's advocate as the "practical" manager who is going to be asking all of these questions when faced with the idea of accommodating you for ADHD.

I did find this website that had a lot of suggestions as to how a person with ADHD might be accommodated in the workplace: https://askjan.org/media/adhd.html A lot of these seem like good, practical accommodations that might be helpful for someone with ADHD in the work environment. I'm sure if you got in touch with your state's vocational rehab center they could also help you with navigating the ADA and how it applies to your particular case.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
Old 05-19-12, 08:50 PM

Thanked 10,305 Times in 3,241 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Yes I have (and still do).
Old 05-19-12, 09:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Most of the issues I had I got under control when I got on medication that worked for me.
Like most of us the issues were punctuality, late or undone paperwork and there were some anxiety triggered issues.

I am not terminated as of yet. If that does occur I have already consulted with an attorney, although I hope I don't have to go that far.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir5r1 For This Useful Post:
Abi (05-20-12)
Old 05-19-12, 10:35 PM

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir5r1 View Post
Most of the issues I had I got under control when I got on medication that worked for me.
Like most of us the issues were punctuality, late or undone paperwork and there were some anxiety triggered issues.

I am not terminated as of yet. If that does occur I have already consulted with an attorney, although I hope I don't have to go that far.
It depends on what's reasonable in the workplace. If you were teaching (wasn't that the case?), you sort of have to be on time for classes and meetings and whatnot. And deadlines are deadlines, even when you have a disability. ADHD impairments strike me as more difficult to accommodate in a teaching setting than those related to other disabilities.
Old 05-20-12, 11:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

I have not been late and all my paperwork had been in order since I began meds.
Any accommodations beyond a second chance would be very minimal.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
Old 05-20-12, 12:14 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Consult a lawyer, but do NOT disclose to your employer that you consulted counsel, until the lawyer tells you to.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 05-21-12, 04:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

I've gone this route with two different employers.

The first time did not work out so well. Then again, I was actually diagnosed with ADHD during my employment with the company (as a result of seeking mental health assistance because of ongoing issues with that workplace and my supervisor).

Their version of "providing accommodations" was to let my supervisor (who already made it known she did not like me and wanted to be rid of me) turn my accommodations into a list of requirements. So, for example, my therapist suggested that I go over a written list of tasks that my supervisor wanted me to do that day in case I had any questions. That suggestion, in the hands of my supervisor, became "write out a list of all the things I had to do that day, go over it with my supervisor before and after doing each thing, and if I did not complete the list by the end of the work day, I would be written up." And that same supervisor often came up with additional projects for me to work on during the day so that my original list of tasks could not be completed. Then she would write me up.

I lost my job within a month of the ADA accommodations going into effect. Fail.

At my current job, there are no accommodations I specifically need. If there is a meeting where instructions are given verbally, as in a list, I have requested that the instructor send me an email containing those instructions so that I can have a written copy in their own words to refer to in case I have questions later.

For a while, when I was having a bad bout with anxiety, I needed a couple of additional unscheduled breaks to "wind down" and get myself back on track, but for the most part I am okay and I am also one of the top performers in my current project.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 05-23-12, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

I have considered requesting accomodations for both ADD and Fibromyalgia. The JAN website is extremely helpful.

My biggest distractor (as if I really need one) is the background noise. I work in a open bay, which you could compare to a cubicle without any walls, meaning- no noise cancellation.

Additionally, people walk by all the time, and that is distracting, too. But, even if I did ask for my own office, there is no where for me to move.
Old 05-24-12, 10:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

My reality is even after asking for an accommodation I am being terminated.
I have an attorney and I'm going to go after them for violating my rights.
I've had it.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sir5r1 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (06-03-12), hjajck (05-24-12), JollyBadger (05-29-12), sarahsweets (05-24-12), Unmanagable (06-07-12)
Old 05-24-12, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir5r1 View Post
My reality is even after asking for an accommodation I am being terminated.
I have an attorney and I'm going to go after them for violating my rights.
I've had it.
I am sorry you're dealing with this.

Were you being terminated prior to your request for accommodations?

I am no lawyer, but my understanding is you can't be fired for requesting an accommodation; HOWEVER, the request must be made prior to being notified of termination (I could be wrong).

This is making me think twice about my situation.

You might want to check the laws before hiring an attorney for this (so you don't waste money). Then again, the attorney would probably be the best person to know the letter of the law.

In my experience, if you can't prove they fired you because of your disability, then you don't have a case. Believe me, I was fired when I was pregnant, and about to deploy to Iraq - both illeagal, and unprovable. At that time, I was in a Right-to-work state, though.
Old 05-24-12, 02:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

I have a public job in education. The termination must be approved by the board of Education. The recommendation is put up and they vote.
I notified the superintendent of my request for an accommodation before it was put before the board.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
Old 06-03-12, 06:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

And they voted to terminate me anyway.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings