ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-30-12, 12:44 PM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold
Moral Dillema

Most of the projects I get are students who don't want to do their college work and will pay a pretty penny for someone to do it for them. It's not illegal on my end (it is on theirs) but it's immoral by society's standards. My brother tore me a new one when he found out and I know my parents would too, but of course they have no room to talk.

All of us know how hard it is to find work in this economy and the extremely rich are using loopholes to get richer and keep it all to themselves. That's VERY immoral. I rescue animals, don't indulge in much, and use my money wisely so I CAN give back to the community.

So why do I feel so bad for doing this? It's definitely not my first choice, but it PAYS.
The Following User Says Thank You to mad83 For This Useful Post:
aquariu32 (06-14-12)
Old 05-30-12, 01:46 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all
Re: Moral Dillema

You're privy to an act of deception. That's the source of the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.

The students who are your clients are the ones upon whom the vast majority of the moral problem rests. Still, it's never going to feel good to be involved in something like this, even when you turn the funds so obtained to ends that are right and proper.

Very, very few things are actually cut-and-dried when it comes to serious ethical issues. My great-grandfather died young, leaving my great-grandmother with half a dozen children and no way to support them. She turned to bootlegging, even getting the kids to make surreptitious deliveries of liquor using their bicycles. Was what she did wrong? Sure, in several senses. She broke the law and doubtless fed several people's habits of alcohol abuse. But seeing the kids go hungry wasn't really an ethical option, was it? When times are tough, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Anna3000 (06-02-12), Fuzzy12 (05-30-12), hjajck (06-11-12), keliza (05-30-12), salleh (05-31-12), Spacemaster (06-03-12), Unmanagable (06-04-12)
Old 05-30-12, 04:57 PM

cheshirecat87 is on a distinguished road

Where are you getting such projects?!? I would have no qualms with this.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-12, 05:38 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,113 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What if the person you are writing the paper for is a pre med student>? Shouldnt people who will become doctors be able to say that THEY have completed their own work?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
hjajck (06-11-12), spunkysmum (05-31-12), Unmanagable (06-04-12)
Old 05-30-12, 07:03 PM

cheshirecat87 is on a distinguished road

For some reason I thought this was about programming projects. It just seemed like it would be. Terrible assumption !
Old 05-30-12, 09:00 PM
Contributor

Canuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What if the person you are writing the paper for is a pre med student>? Shouldnt people who will become doctors be able to say that THEY have completed their own work?

They will fail thier board exams or be driven out of residency like red headed step children at the family reunion.

To the OP, yep, you are participating in something shady. M

My advice for what it's worth...

So ******* what. Get something out of this for yourself. Double down. Double your prices but pull out all the stops and make damn sure these projects are A+ worthy.

Then apply the same ethics to your own studies.

As slimey as it might be to ghost papers, if it`s the grunt work you need to perfect your own art,so be it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canuck223 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (05-31-12), sarahsweets (05-30-12)
Old 05-31-12, 01:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

This is weird - it says you posted this discussion but I could swear I have read this same exact discussion on these boards before. I guess I'm experiencing deja vu.
Old 05-31-12, 02:24 AM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

So Mad...

I'm curious about how you developed your contract....

Have you ever attempted to enforce it in court? I'm a little worried that it may be unenforceable, if it's truly "illegal" as you say, for one party to the contract. (Although I wonder about that part. I can picture it being a basis for disciplinary action, but "illegal?" Hmmmmmmmm...). Anyway, that puts you at your clients' mercy because they can get the work product without paying you. ('Course, you could always withhold the work product until you have the cash in hand...)

I'm not sure if you have specialty topics, but there are a lot of people who hire ghost-writers for blogs these days. Lawyers do that a lot.

And at least then your contracts would be absolutely enforceable.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (05-31-12)
Old 06-03-12, 01:41 AM

Thanked 5,616 Times in 2,422 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I feel really reluctant to judge you coz you've gotta eat.
Old 06-03-12, 03:00 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,308 Times in 582 Posts
crystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud of

Very interesting. I *could* sit in the bar and sell drugs. The demand is there; someone will do it. Yes, we could argue that one is illegal the other is not, but we all know that laws are socially constructed (as well as politically of course). I think bootlegging was just mentioned. So, maybe we could decide by what is more harmful? I think its pointless.

Listen. Unless you have a problem sleeping, or you are getting anxious, or its harming your health in some way, I would continue. Its work. You could be doing a lot worse than this to eat. Just like the drug dealer, if you don't, someone else will. Personally I think the students should do their own work, but really, they are only hurting themselves.

Down a hole, up a rope
Down some pills, up some hope
This karma machine only takes quarters
New age soldier, new age soldier - Matthew Good -Canadian Musician With Bipolar Disorder

Cyclothymia & ADHD
Old 06-04-12, 07:13 AM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
So Mad...

I'm curious about how you developed your contract....

Have you ever attempted to enforce it in court? I'm a little worried that it may be unenforceable, if it's truly "illegal" as you say, for one party to the contract. (Although I wonder about that part. I can picture it being a basis for disciplinary action, but "illegal?" Hmmmmmmmm...). Anyway, that puts you at your clients' mercy because they can get the work product without paying you. ('Course, you could always withhold the work product until you have the cash in hand...)

I'm not sure if you have specialty topics, but there are a lot of people who hire ghost-writers for blogs these days. Lawyers do that a lot.

And at least then your contracts would be absolutely enforceable.
I usually get my money up front unless I have access to their professor. Then I can turn them in.