ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-02-12, 07:13 PM

harley1 is on a distinguished road
Post Job Offer -Medical Questionaire (Need advice)

First off, I am a health care professional and just got job offer for a new place of employment.

As far as medical history, I not only have ADHD (which is managed with Ritalin), but I have depression, high blood pressure, and a history of substance abuse/alcoholism (3 years of recovery so far).

I just took a drug urine test and there was no option by the testing facility to notify them that I am on doctor prescribed Ritalin. I am hoping that the urine will come back negative for what they are testing.

The part of this whole process that concerns me is the medical questionnaire that gave me to answer. One of the things the form asks is if "I have nervous or psychiatric disorders (e.g. severe depression)" Does treated depression and ADHD fall into this category? Also, is it a good idea to disclose my history of depression or ADHD? These illnesses are managed and I don't need any accomidations from the employer.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-03-12, 12:57 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,436 Times in 6,133 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post Job Offer -Medical Questionaire (Need advice)

Each sate is different but I am guessing you are worried about the drug screen - When they passed the HIFFa thing then you were no longer given the option of listing the medication you take because it was a breach of personal privacy - In my experiencing should your drug screen come back positive for a specific metabolite the MRO - {medical review officer} of the lab testing your urine will call you and ask for your prescription information - all the information asked will be listed on the label itself - Once the MRO checks with the pharmacy and verifies the inforamtio you provided as valid the test results should read - negative of all illegal substance - because your prescriptions are not illegal and that is all they are supposed to be testing for

I tend toward not telling my employers any more than they need to know although some may recognize you are on a prescription medication because of the length of time the results take to return but you could be prescribed a cough med for all they know

Last I checked you are not required by law to disclose any information regarding your medical conditions unless they will directly impact the performance of your job. Legality regarding licensing boards may differ but employers don't need to know about disabilities unless you are asking for accommodations.

I have been self employed for a couple of years now but this was how it worked last time I went to wok in the medical profession.

Congratulations on the new job

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-03-12), harley1 (06-03-12), keliza (06-04-12)
Old 06-03-12, 05:38 AM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Is the medical questionnaire for your employer or for the insurance?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-12, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleToes View Post
It is for my employer.
Old 06-03-12, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleToes View Post
This questionaire was given to me by my employer.
Old 06-03-12, 02:12 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,761 Times in 8,904 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

If you are certain you don't need accomodations, I suggest nondisclosure.

Whatever you decide to do , DO NOT disclose the alcoholism & substance abuse though.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
silivrentoliel (06-03-12)
Old 06-03-12, 02:17 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the substance abuse to yourself. Unless youre activly using its no ones business.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-04-12), purpleToes (06-09-12), silivrentoliel (06-03-12)
Old 06-03-12, 03:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if you test positive on a urine test, generally they'll call and get your scripts from you and verify them. They don't disclose the info to your employer generally, so unless you HAVE to disclose your ADHD or anything else b/c you need special accommodations, I'd leave it out. All of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-04-12), harley1 (06-03-12)
Old 06-03-12, 10:11 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I am healthy and do not need any special accommodations whatsoever. Nowadays, I try to be as honest as possible, but it looks like my honesty can hurt me in this case. The funny thing is all my disabilities are under control (with medication and support) and the quality of my work is the best it has ever been in my career.
I just don't like how looking for a new job feels like a game. I also don't like how hiding my disabilities makes me feel shame for how I am

Thanks for your help guys!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harley1 For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-04-12), demuregeek (06-04-12)
Old 06-04-12, 02:19 PM

silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

You're not hiding it out of shame-- as in YOU'RE not ashamed of it-- but it can cause MAJOR issues in the work place.

I am very lucky the family I work w/ has 3 of the 4 family members w/ ADHD... so they "get" it and we all work very well together.

Old 06-04-12, 07:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't feel ashamed of your medical issues, they are nothing to be ashamed of! It's unfortunate that there is a stigma out there against things like mental illness and addictions, but there is. We have to protect ourselves from people who may not be so understanding. It's a double-edged sword because in the end we're only perpetuating the stigma by not speaking out against it... but we risk losing our jobs if we do stand up and speak out. It raises the question of how we will ever move past the stigma if nobody can safely stand up and break stereotypes and stigmas without risking their jobs.

But anyway, congrats on your new job! Like the others said, if they see anything on the drug test they will call you to get your prescriptions, so you don't have to worry about that. The only thing you ought to have to disclose is your ADHD since you are currently being treated for it with a prescription drug. Other than that, though, nothing else is their business unless it's impacting your work performance.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
Old 06-04-12, 08:46 PM

i have a weird followup question. if i do not disclose my ADHD and sign up for health insurance with this company, can they deny me coverage since I did not disclose during my physical?
Old 06-04-12, 09:43 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not expect an employment-related physical to affect eligibility for a health-insurance program through the employer.

Now, I suppose that there's a further question, namely, is your employer the insurer itself? In other words, are you employed by a health insurer? If so, then I would assume that there are strict policies protecting your medical privacy, but you can just ask about those generally without disclosing anything. ("How do we assure employee-patient privacy?").

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
Old 06-04-12, 09:59 PM

Some company insurance companies make you wait 6 mos for coverage of pre-existing conditions, DH's does anyway... it sucks.

Old 06-07-12, 11:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Anna3000 has a spectacular aura aboutAnna3000 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1 View Post
i have a weird followup question. if i do not disclose my ADHD and sign up for health insurance with this company, can they deny me coverage since I did not disclose during my physical?
Insurance Companies are not supposed to deny coverage based on a psychiatric diagnosis as a pre-existing condition... Unfortunately, some still try to - but your primary care MD can speak with them to get the medications covered if they do try to pull this.